• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Aleph System in a nut shell

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Aleph system is basically an E-series compatible set of components which will allow for building a myriad of different lights based on compatible and interchangeable parts.

The heart or center of the system is the Aleph Light Engine . The light engine when complete consists of the converter or driver and a LED packaged in a threaded assembly. In the image of prototype parts below, you can see the LED sitting on the top of the Light Engine.

A1-ES-raw-components-2.jpg

The LE threads into an Aleph head. There will ultimately be three heads available as limited production parts which have been designed specifically with the LE in mind. In addition to these heads, the LE itself was designed so that it would be compatible with modified SF E series heads. An example of this is shown directly below where an E2D head was modified to accept the LE as well as a IMS so17xa reflector:

E-screws.jpg

But I digress....... Coming back to the Aleph system itself, there are 3 battery tubes that were designed as part of the system but since they are interchangeable with E series style tubes, they too will go beyond the system in applications as well as other battery tubes will come into the system.

The picture below shows the three Aleph battery tubes (1x123, 1x17500 {1.5x123} & 2x123) as well as the three heads. The heads are a 1" OD with 20 mm Al reflector, the Aleph 2, a 1 1/4" OD head with 27 mm Al reflector, the Aleph 1 and a 1 3/4" OD head with 38 mm Al reflector, the Aleph 3.

2-1-3-lineup.jpg

These heads will all accept the same Aleph LE's and can be hosted on any of the Aleph or E series type battery tubes.

At the end of the Aleph system is the Aleph two stage tail cap, known also as the McE2S. The tail switch has its own discussion thread HERE . The Aleph two stage tail switch is a resistored switch which allows for momentary as well as constant on access of bot a low (resistored) level of light as well as full power which is dictated by the converter or driver chosen. Momentary activation is accesed by depressing the recessed rubber button at the back of the switch. Constant levels are accessed by screwing the cap further down onto the battery tube. This switch is NOT a clickie switch.

Below is a shot of the reflectors used in these Aleph heads:

Aleph-reflectors.jpg

EDIT: The windows used in the Aleph heads are a clear soda lime glass with Luxar AR coating on both sides. Because the Bezel ring can be adjusted to a variety of window thicknesses, other windows can be used.

9-15-04 EDIT:

Finally I got around to taking the time to get beam comparison shots between the three reflectors with the same LE used and same manyal exposure on the camera. I will post new thread but supply the beam shots here as well:

Aleph-Beams.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Ok, this has confused me from the beginning. Just so we're all clear here, the order of the heads above, from left to right is:

Aleph 2, 1, 3?

It didn't make sense to put them in size order? I know this has been discussed before, but heck if I can find it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Great-looking stuff, BTW! With this thread, maybe I'll *finally* be able to get the naming right.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
looks very very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well number one was the first designed, drawn and quoted. Number three was the next but I knew there would be a smaller head so I kept the number 2 for it. Number 2 came last and like all number 2's it turned the rest of the numbering scheme into number 2. If there weren't drawings in the hands of some machine shops and reflectors referenced off these numbers, I might even attempt to change the naming. As it is, it's just too late! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif You did get it right! I will hold you to remembering this so I can asky you later when I forget!

Besides, I am planning to do some full kited lights with swivel belt tab and an accompaning lanyard that will even have an engraved head:

logo-dark.jpg

So you can see I have already commited to Aleph 1 going to the 27 mm reflector. It is fitting anyway since the Aleph 1 is the continuation of the PR and PR-T program.

Ralf

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PaulR,
There is an 18650 tube on the bench but to host the Pila 168A, the bore needs to be even larger than that of an 18650. This would require a new tail cap which is doable but only down the road when the dust has cleared and provided there is enough interest.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks Don. I figured that had to be a reason in there somewhere! Your reasoning comes *really* close to making sense! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Will you kindly create a list or chart of LE/batt. tube combos that will be "stock" items?

IE:

BB600 luxIII 3v-6v, 22ohm resistored TS, Aleph 2 head. Run time 1-2 hours depending on battery tube...

or somekind of something like that to inform us and standardize your work a bit...

fred0109

Newly Enlightened
I saw at the Shoppe that the LE is available in kit form. Will the light engine be available pre-built for those of us whos soldering skills leave much to be desired? I would be willing to pay a bit extra for an engine that has already been blessed by the experienced hand.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yum, yum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Gots to have all three.

Britt

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, those pictures really help me understand your LE concept. It is really nice! I can tell that you were jealous of those Peak folks and their 67036 different models produced by mix n' match /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, I said that the pictures *helped* me understand your LE concept but I still have a couple of questions. What secures the part that holds the converter board [the brass/copper looking one] against rotation relative to the AL part that holds the emitter? What constrains the emitter board against the compression loading of the battery? Potting?

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
Don, I said that the pictures *helped* me understand your LE concept but I still have a couple of questions. What secures the part that holds the converter board [the brass/copper looking one] against rotation relative to the AL part that holds the emitter? What constrains the emitter board against the compression loading of the battery? Potting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, I think this might help.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight said:
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, I think this might help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, sure did. All questions answered. Thanks.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about the light engine:

The build notes say it's best to have the reflector and window already in the head and install the light engine by screwing it in from the rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif - any pointers on how to do this? I don't see any notches in the modified ecan that would allow for an easy grip on the LE from the rear with (e.g.) needle-nose pliers.

indenial

Enlightened
Hmmm. What I would want is two complete systems, 1 with a 1x123 body and Aleph 2 head, one with a 2x123 body and a Aleph 1 head, each with it's own pre-assembled LE and tailcap. I would also order a Aleph 3 head separately. Now, would an order like that make sense or am just not getting your system at all? The point being that I want to buyt two flashlights that are complete out of the box with an extra interchangeable head. Doable?

Latest posts