Strontium Aluminate beads?

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I figured I'd take a chance. Has anyone seen any beads made with Strontium Aluminate? that is, plastic of glass beads that have the stuff in them, not painted on? Would anyone be interested in such a thing? Thanks,
DasFX

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would follow this one up. After some searching, with no luck, I thought I would try to make my own. I got the glow powder from Glow Inc. (which turned out to be right in my home state /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
Then I got some Fimo from the local craft store (Fimo soft #014 for anyone who cares). The color of the Fimo is supposed to be Translucent, but isn't clear really. Anyway, last night I took a small chunk of Fimo, kneeded in some of the glow powder (a very small amount really), and then shaped and baked the beads. The result is honestly some of the ugliest beads I have ever seen (I'll have to work on that), but they work well at the end of a lanyard or keychain.

DasFX

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened
Excellent idea. Thanks for the link.

I have some "cold enamel" resin that is perfectly clear and I could use it to cast glowing objects. Alternatively, I could paint things and coat in enamel.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
You could try casting resin and looking for the "grape" molds. I seem to recall that casting resin was made for imbedding objects and that it readily took dyes and other things into itself. The grape molds are exactly that - you cast purple "grapes" of resin.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about trying some of the casting resin (the polyester kind that you have to add hardening compound to) but I wasn't sure if it would react poorly, but now I'm thinking I might try it.
ZDP: Is that the same as "cold enamel"? Or is that something different? Thanks.

DasFX