• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I need a comparison of two PR heads 917 vs 611

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, in the future will probably trade my PR-T natural DB 917 Lux III head for a BB head of the same form factor and color that will be able to run off of one cell. My question to you guys is About how much light will I loose?

I know that the emitter and such will make a difference but I really like the output of the 917 head, but need something that will run on one cell as I have an E1e body sitting collecting dust waiting on it.

My only caveat would be that it be a bit brighter than a Arc 4 running level one... the DB 917 that I have is quite a bit brighter...

Is what I want doable??? Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bushman,

If by brighter, you are referring to throw, I believe you will find that a BB500 in PR-T will out throw the Arc4 by a very noticible margin. (it's the physics of the larger diameter reflector)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
MC-Lux-PR comparison (hotspot shot):
611swak-700r2h-917twak_spot.jpg

BB611 SWAJ - DB700 R2H - DB917 TWAK

bernhard

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am talking about total output. I realize that the throw is much greater with the PR I guess the best way to guage is is the "bounce off of the ceiling" test

Bernhard, thanks for the shot, It appears from the photo that there is a significant difference in brightness say perhaps, 30% or so, would that be accurate?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this in the sandwitch shoppe portion of the forum.

Given that the same driver and lux III are used would this give me the info that I am looking for? Does this look about right to the more experienced eyes out there??? THANKS!

MM and BB Lux 3-T Sandwiches
Approximate Run Times and Brightness:

BB 300 - 240 minutes and 750 lux

MM Lite - 180 minutes and 750 lux

MM Standard - 120 munites and 900 lux

BB 400 - 90 minutes and 900 lux

MM Plus - 90 minutes and 1000 lux

BB 500 - 75 minutes and 1000 lux

BB 650 - 60 minutes and 1400 lux

BB 750 - 45 minutes and 1600 lux

BB 917 - 30 minutes and 1800 lux

BB 1000 - 15 minutes and 2000 lux

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bushman,
If you are refering to lumens as it seems, then you will want the most powerful driver possible to compete with the Arc4, I believe?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif From *my* current bag of tricks, that would be a BB700 I would think and possibly down the road, a NextGen 750 but this will be up to Wayne. There may be other drivers out there from ArcMania or GeorgeS80 or others which might be compatible with the PR-T and E-can but I leave it to them to comment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushman,

FWIW, to my eyes, the difference in output from a DB917 PR-T to a BB700 PR-T is barely noticeable when alternating between the two. A side by side comparison will show a difference (like in Bernhard's post) but I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in day to day use. YMMV

Aloha

Brian

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Bushman, yes there is a noticeable difference in brightness, true, but there is also one in runtime!
For close and mid-range illumination you won't notice the difference dramatically, but for throw you'd need the max. output.

I could measure the lux-readings according to the shot above, but the information gain would be doubtful because of the Luxeion Lottery anyway.

IMHO the most reasonalbe choice, especially on 1x123 is 600mA, 700 max, but that is just IMHO.

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
it does mean you can use it on 1x, 2x and 3x123 but loose quite some efficiency while you gain in variability.
AND you have to fiund someone to do the build for you, it seems to be a real PITA and even Don tends to refuse those ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard