Couple of vintage Surefire questions

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a really nice first-pattern (wide, smooth swtich, no lanyard ring groove) 6P today for under $30, and now I have some more questions about these early SFs.

First, did they ever engrave the model number on 6P tailcaps? This one just has the usual company info, while my similar-vintage 6R has the model, too. Don't know if one is earlier than the other. Did they just do that for the rechargables?

Second, the lamp assy in this 6P has no markings and just a big strip of heavy heatshrink tube where the newer ones say "Laser Products 6V". How does that date this? I've never seen one of these.

sfs1.jpg

sfs2.jpg

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great find. I'm no SF expert but I thought I remembered a similar post indicated those came from the mid 1980's. You'll have to find out from someone who really knows.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one from 1992 or so that has a tailcap just like those but it also has 6P on it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are CPF Members with greater knowledge of SureFire History with regards to the "6P" than I have. I discovered SureFire quite late on - 1998.

Al

akula88

Enlightened
I believe jtivat or dano could help out. They have quite a history of the 6P series -- from almost its first inception to the current evolution.

My old round-bodied 6P has a tailcap that is marked with "LASER PRODUCTS FOUNTAIN VALLEY, CA" and "SURE-FIRE 6P". This is a non-lock-out t/c and components are loose and fall out most of the time.
Regards,