To the owner of CPF (or any forum)

thisflashaholic

Newly Enlightened
If you remember, I started that other forum for a while before I knew this was here. Once I found out this forum was here, I decided to Change my Theme. My question now is, how did CPF become the great community it is today? I've been doing the Overture thing, but it's eating my lunch (for a free board). So, is there another way of going about getting the word out, or is it just a matter of the waiting game?

paulr

Flashaholic
Dunno about Overture. I think there's a critical mass that a board needs to reach before it grows on its own. In CPF's case that probably happened more easily, since there aren't many other flashlight boards. For car racing, there's quite a few boards. You could write to the dmoz.org category editors for Nascar racing and ask them to link you. You could also spend a few bucks on a Google text ad. Finally, try hosting some good articles about your board's subject, so you get linked from search engines.

http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/

has more to say about building online communities.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Try the search function, as far as growth goes, just let your friends know about it and have them tell others, a lot of times when businesses are just starting out, word of mouth is the best way to go.

Oh, and don't forget to tell your friends about CPF and tell them not to forget their wallets!

Empath

Flashaholic
There are some sites that become phenomenally popular, even though it might contain the words of one person. Seek help and participation from the well respected in the board theme's field.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could part of CPF's success be linked to its being established years ago (crica 1999?), when there were fewer forums? Getting a forum established would seem to take a lot more effort these days, in part because there are so many more choices.

When I first joined CPF, there were fewer categories and posts, so it was possible to read just about every new entry. These days, unless you're a speed reader and/or have nothing else to do, it is well nigh impossible. I have to admit that I miss the "old" days...

I'll also have to say that I was really sorry to see flashlightfreaks "disappear." I was looking forward to participating in a budding forum--sort of re-capture the "small community" spirit for as long as that lasted.

watt4

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashfan said:
I'll also have to say that I was really sorry to see flashlightfreaks "disappear."

[/ QUOTE ]

agree.