Surefire E2E vs Dorcy Spyder?

oldtimer

Enlightened
I'm trying to compare a SF E2E and a Dorcy Spyder and I'm thinking that Dorcy is the more superior light in most situations. The two has similar runtimes ~1hr but the Dorcy puts out twice as much light using the same batteries! The only advantage I can see with the E2E is the beam quality and the finish. However, the Dorcy is focusable and the beam can be improved with tape. In addition, unless you throw your lights to the ground, aircraft aluminum finish and HA-III wouldn't make that much of a difference. Don't forget the 2.5x difference in price too.

Any comments?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say the Spyder is twice as bright.

2 for 25 bucks, though makes for a really good deal. The Spyder is a very competent light.

--dan

oldtimer

Enlightened
Well 119.5 vs. 60 lumens (theoretical) and the review tests sure show a BIG difference. I can't see how anyone can justify buying a E2E unless you don't care about battery life and you want the "premium" in everything.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and believe me, the Dorcy is not twice as bright. I think they are about the same, lumen wise that is.

The E2e is much more durable and professional looking. However, you do pay a price for that. The E2e has a tighter beam, which is much smoother than that of the Dorcy.

You can't beat the Dorcy for the price, but if this light is going to be an EDC or you have a big wallet....E2e baby.

oldtimer

Enlightened
About the same? I don't think so. Even Flashlight Reviews gave the overall output of the Dorcy as "61.00" and the E2E "40.00." Since the units aren't to scale, a guestimate would be 60/40*61=92 lumens for the Dorcy in comparison to 60 for the E2E. I believe the graph is not linear and the multiplier increase as the actual lumen increases.. hence the Dorcy would be greater than 92 lumens.

paulr

Flashaholic
As Quickbeam himself advises, I wouldn't take those flashlightreviews measurements too seriously. If Dorcy is getting 1.5x the lumen output with the same power consumption (i.e. battery runtime) as the E2e, they must be using technology from Mars. Since that's unlikely, could it be that their lumen rating is exaggerated like almost everyone's (except Surefire, Arc, and a few others)? That's a lot more likely.

In fact if the power consumption is the same, it's a pretty safe bet that the lumen output is about the same. That said, the Spyder is an excellent light for the price.

oldtimer

Enlightened
paulr: I just did a double check. Dorcy's battery life is ~1hr and the E2E is like ~15 minutes more. I don't know if some of you guys placed them side by side but the Dorcy is definitely brighter and whiter than the E2E. All of the lights that was rated seemed to be in the right range to me.

Your last statement is not true in all cases. Just because it has the same imput voltage does not mean it has the same output. Personally, I think the E2E's textured reflector is not as efficient in comparison to DOrcy's untextured. You get a weirder beam but that's one of the compromises taht we have to make for a brighter light.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have two spyder and a 6p with p60 LA...

i can say that the two spyder is a bit different: one is a little brighter than the other

the best spyder is a bit brighter than the 6p, the total output at my eyes appears to be the same and the trow is best on the spyder. the quality of the beam is very best on the 6p

but i think that the spyder can really output 119 lumens but without the reflector and the lens because they are very bad

another things is that the runtime of the spyder is less than the 6p, the spyder after 30min become yellow and run for about further 20 min... the 6p run for 50min before become yellow...

if we can find a good reflector and lens for the spyder i think it can be the best 2-cell on the market

p.s.
now i'm try to put the bulb of the spyder in a mag 4D...

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Which is better: a brand new Honda Civic or a BMW 328i? Both will get you where you're going, but one sure is a better bargain. Why does anyone buy the 328 for so much more money? Well, the same reasons apply in the case of the E2E versus the Spyder, albeit on a much smaller scale. Besides the options available on the E2E that aren't available with the Spyder (Cell extenders, E2C adapters allowing for turbo heads, etc), the E2E is a superiorly designed light. You pay for that. You just have to decide if it's worth it for yourself. It was for me.

Also, if you want to reference Flashlight Review's reviews, check out which light is their benchmark of the Lithium Incan's. What is a benchmark?

It's already been stated that the Dorcy is a great bargain, and it is. Given my druthers, I'd be in a 328i.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Value is dependant upon individual needs. I love monetary bargains like the 2/$25 Spyders - you can't beat that. A Spyder would be good in a holster, backpack, large coat pocket, etc. but I wouldn't want to carry one in a shirt or pants pocket, like I can the E2e. You can't beat the E2e's size, grip, feel, durability and switch action.

Most of my lights aren't up the the E2e quality standard but I appreciate having that one for what it is. If I could get the Spyder 2fer locally, I certainly would as that is quite a bargain.

StuU

Enlightened
I have several Spyders and an E2e. The Dorcys are OK. They have the same bulb as the Brinkman LX. Beam is OK but not as nice as the E2e. Bulb will fall out if light is dropped. Body is a bit heavy but built well. Rubber sleeve is nice but can ball up. Switch spring/battery contacts sometimes are finicky.

Switch is not good on the Dorcy...like a ballpoint pen. Soft and no click. Push in and let out again to turn on. I took a switch apart and found it to be *very very* cheaply built.

The E2e is a much better light in every way. Dorcys might be good for car lights. I bought several Spyders and am using mine for future mod bodies. The Spyder is just not a dependable light for serious usage IMHO.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
As Quickbeam himself advises, I wouldn't take those flashlightreviews measurements too seriously. If Dorcy is getting 1.5x the lumen output with the same power consumption (i.e. battery runtime) as the E2e, they must be using technology from Mars.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, or don't take the RUNTIME stated by the manufacturer too seriously... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Plus, new batteries are used for my output readings, and they may drop off at different rates.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Yesterday I ran my E2E and Spyder side by side. The Dorcy ws not only brighter (more tightly focused spot) but was also putting out more light (ceiling bounce "subtraction" test).

After approx 40-45 minutes the E2E's beam was whiter but could still be penetrated by the Spyder's tighter beam. My timing wasn't precise but at roughly 50+ minutes the E2E was clearly putting out more light than the Spyder.

If the Spyder was thinner, lighter and had a better switch and a clip I would prefer it for EDC, but as it is now the E2E is an easier and more convenient carry.

Brightnorm

StuU

Enlightened
Also, one major problem with the Spyder switch is that it is impossible to do momentary contacts- you have to be either full-on or full-off.

I am looking into removing the switch and then tapping the switch base for a Kroll switch emplacement.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The Spyder switch can be quickly converted to momentary mode:

1) Tighten tailap until snug against body
2) Click on
3) Slowly cc rotate tailcap just until light goes out
4) Switch is now in momentary mode; sensitivity is easily adjusted and is particulary adaptable to "syringe grip" which is facilitated by the Spyder's non-slip body

Brightnorm

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Personally I think there's hardly a comparison. The Dorcy's I've owned have sucked so badly I gave them away.

My E2e was noticably brighter, the beam was WAY better. Also the fit and finish were miles ahead on the E2e.

The Dorcy switch was horrible, not even close to a refined feeling (not counting it's lack of momentary on).

I think the Brinkman XL is far better than the Dorcy, in regards to fit finish and function. And the Brinkman is about as bright as my 6P or G2, has a good beam, a decent switch... jmho

Deanster

Enlightened
I've said before that there's nothing in the world wrong with the spyder, and doubly so at the price. I feel very strongly that it's by FAR the best light you can buy for $13.50 (w/ batteries and nylon sheath), and that the price forgives the lousy beam and switch.

Relative to an $80 e2e, the price/performance ratio is hard to support - it's not a 2.5x price advantage as stated above (correct for the pair of Spyders), but more like a 6x price differential. e2e is superior in nearly every particular of construction, handling, long-term reliability, etc., but it's hard to argue you'd be better off with one e2e than six Spyders.

That said, the e2e is also my least favorite surefire - I think you get a much better deal on the G2, and I'd argue you're better off with one G2 than two Spyders.

All that said, I mostly use my Spyders as 'loaner' lights - people who come to me and ask to borrow one of my 'super-bright' lights - they get Spyders, and I'm never sad if they don't come back.

I'd also never take a Spyder anywhere it might be my only light. They're great to own in the drawer, but if I'm going to depend on one light, it'll be an Arc, Surefire, Inova or perhaps a FireFly. It will be a cold day in hell before I trust a Spyder to work when I really need it.

alberto

Enlightened
The Dorcy is a perfect toolbox, nightstand, or glovebox light -- which is where I have all of mine. They are always ready to go when I need them.

The E2e, because of it's higher quality, is better suited for for more critical, more demanding, everyday-use, and personal EDC purposes -- in my opinion.

I can't imagine sticking an E2e in a drawer to be seen and used once every six months, or only in an emergency -- what a waste.

Both lights serve their respective purposes very well. It's not fair to try to compare them as equals.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my dorcy today, and i don't know if y'all are aware of this, but dorcy most likely puts the figure of the bulb lumen as the figure, where as the E2 uses the AVERAGE figure of 60, because for the first few minutes of the operation, the e2 puts out >70 lumens of light. and it lasts 25% longer.

the dorcy i believe has a PEAK beam of 119 lumens with out the reflector, like some of the fellas stated here, so don't take the numbers to heart, because Surefire gives you a lot more realistic numbers, and humbling itself somewhat, but only surefire owners can appreciate that honesty.

nick