• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The L1-PRT-DB917 got me into trouble last night.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L1-PRT-DB917 got me into trouble last night.

background:
Marketing Manager Leaving Do.
Group of drunks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif (myself included) finish up after a great indian meal in a nightclub.

Marketing Manager /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif is dancing like a crazy man on stage with the housemate of his Assistant who is dressed to impress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon11.gif and sober driver.

So I've been EDC'ing the L1-PRT-DB917 for a while since it's actually a rather cool little thrower /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif and SureFire don't have a belt clip for their X200A yet and the Uncle Mike's belt clip is crap. Anyway, so group of drunks spot him on the stage and colleague steals the L1-PRT-DB917 out of my pocket (which I notice) and starts to strobe it right at him from across the dance floor. Group of Drunks cheer and then jeer him for being totally unresponsive to the very bright and concrentrated beam that is in his face. He was wasted. Ratarsed. Bolloxed.

A bouncer (sorry, customer safety facilitator) wades over and tells us to quit shining the torch or be respectfully urged to leave. So I pocket the L1-PRT-DB917 after locking it out and continue being very drunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

A short while later the stage is cleared and the bar staff perform a dance act involving flashlights - looked like 2D cheapos - very thin yellow beams in the smoke. Actually, pretty kewl act (fit barmaids wearing sexy outfits) - with the correct flashlights (PK-1 or similar) it'd have been awesome. So that was why the bouncer didn't want us/me shining a flashlight - he didn't want some drunk joining in with a flashlight of such tiny proportions he didn't even see me holding it when he came over, but with ouput that stompted the dance act's beams into patheticness.

It turns out that a few of us know quite a few of the staff at the club and it is highly likely we wouldn't have been beaten or hurt if we'd pissed around.

To give you an idea of the type of place it is, somebody once let off a large canister of tear gas or similar which hospitalised quite a few people. I was okay but my date had trouble breathing and pretty much collapsed. Another time the power went out there were no back up lights of any use in the whole building. My flashlight (A2 at the time) lit my way out via a back fire escape. The stairwell had streaks of blood and vomit down it from those who had been thrown out by the bouncers. The Blue LED's I had in the A2 at the time showed that well.

They never had a problem with me shining lights in there before. I think it was because we were shining it at a drunk on stage and we were very drunk ourselves and there was going to be a dance act involving flashlights...

Anyway, the L1-PRT-DB917 works very well.

If anybody is still reading, do you know whether the TailCap of the L1-PRT-DB917 has been modified at all?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
From an old post: "On the inside, they have been modified from stem to stern. New resistors in the tail switch, the body "gutted" so it is now a battery tube holding 2x123 cells and the head was modified to host a DownBoy 917 positioned about .200" further forward from normal builds. This required a counterbore into the rear face of the bulkhead as well as a custom E-can."

Hope this helps,
LT

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Al, that was a good read.

In addition to the various resistors replacing the stock resistor (mine has a 60 Ohm installed by McGizmo), there were a few of these Delrin tail rings made up by Don for a few of us.

Since the tail cap on my "McL1" wasn't a virgin, it was easy to unscrew the stock ring and replace it with this neat little Delrin ring by Don.

Stands on it's tail now:
standard.jpg

Close-up:
standard.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: The L1-PRT-DB917 got me into trouble last nigh

Al,

Your testimonial leaves me at a loss for words! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif As noted above, the tailcap now has a resistance of either 60 ohms or 75 ohms compared to the stock switch of 10 ohms.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Oh... In that case I need to figure out which real SureFire has the modified TailCap.
I bet it's an A2....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Well that should be easy. One of the SF's will have a real dim low and the PR-T if it has a stock cap will have a real bright low level!

Size15's

Flashaholic

Yeah, I realised that last night cause there was pretty much no difference between high and low which confused me!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Al,

I reckon that there may have been a few things that could have confused you last night!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened

That's some funny sh*t man. I wish we could hook up for a night out!!!
Brandon