Who made the 123 batteries for Surefire??

juancho

Enlightened
I was comparing some batteries 123 in my desk, the Energizer E batteries are a dead ringer for the Surefires, the only difference is the outer color of the case.
The Duracell ones are very different in the positive top part, being more sunked in and with a longer positive terminal (teat, nipple??) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Can anyone comfirm that Energizer is the provider?
By the way the only two Energizers I have. come out of a yellow G-2 that was factory sealed when I got it!!!!

Juan C.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
there have been countless discussions on this subject, but none of them succeeded in providing the4 answer.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
bernhard

cia

Newly Enlightened
I could tell you, but then I would have to kill ya.
Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would be interesting to know who make there batteries.
Never gave it much thought before now.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the quality of the cells we are buying is good and the price is right. I dont really care who makes them.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trouble is the quality is not always good. There have been too many reports of SureFire cells suffering sudden, unexpected, inexplicable failure. I myself have experienced this.

Fairly new cells from a L4. Both looked good on the DMM. Powered the L4 nice and bright. Then one day, I try to switch on the L4 and get nothing. Checked on DMM, one still looking fresh and powers my KL1 fine. The other dead as a door nail, barely powers my KL1 to moon mode.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest using the search feature. There are alot of previous threads discussing this.

--dan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't know who the manufacturer is and really don't care. As stated above, this topic is on the "short list" of those topics that repeat every groundhog's day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What is important to consider, IMHO is the purported fact (which I believe) that the SF 123 cells are made to SF's specs which center around high current demand on discharge as well as over discharge and thermal protection. These specs are very likely not the same parameters in a general use electronics CR123 cell, such as those designed for cameras and other electronic devices. If Bob's batteries is the manufacturer for SF cells, there is no reason that Bob's off the shelf CR123 should be considered the same battery.

I have no experience, proof or means of supporting my personal theory that those cells reported to have died prematurly are likely the result of a premature but successful activation of the protective device within the cell. As a LED light user, this could be considered a real nusiance and unnecessary. However as a M6 user, I would much rather have an ocassional premature shut down on a cell than the possible results of a failure of a cell that did not have such protection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif