Inova 24/7 run times

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have a new 24/7 (really like the light, especialy that it uses 123's). But the run time information doesn't make sense.

The reviews I have read say the low white mode is good for 15 hours, the high white mode is 6 hours and the red mode is 10 hours.

The low white is dimmer than the red by a long ways and uses 4 LEDs. The bright white uses 4 LEDs and seems to be about as bright as (or maybe a touch less) than the high white mode.

So, why does the white seem to (per this review) use the battery much faster?

Anyone have any actual run time experience with the white or red modes?

J

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
John,

Not sure about the white or red, but we use one as a display and demo the "emergency mode". In this mode we get about 80-90+ hours on 1 battery.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JohnJ80 said:
The low white is dimmer than the red by a long ways and uses 4 LEDs. The bright white uses 4 LEDs and seems to be about as bright as (or maybe a touch less) than the high white mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think with alot of led lights that use red leds you'll see that battery life is longer.

i think what you meant above is that the high white mode seems equivalent to the red mode and you were wondering why the red mode last so much longer. well from what i understand, red leds don't draw as much current from batteries or actually they are set to draw less current because they will produce what seems to be/appears to the eye as brighter output compared to a white led equivalent at the same current draw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Well, sort of.

What my question really is, is that I have a number of head lamps with LEDs in them that get significantly more run time than 6 hours (or even 15 hours on low white) that seem significantly brighter. Are the LEDs in the 24/7 that much less inefficient or driven differently? Is there that much different from a couple or three AA alkalines and a single 123?

paulr

Flashaholic
A single 123 has about as much juice as a single AA alkaline. (The 123 weighs only about half as much though). If the 24/7 can run four leds in high mode for 6 hours on 1x123, it's doing pretty good. That's like running one led for 24 hours, and a CMG Ultra can't quite do that.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
current measured with a tektronix tx3 digital meter calibrated 9 months ago in auto range mode(I am not calibrated so your/my results may vary ha ha)

battery voltage 3.07 volts

8.5 ma on white low power
171 ma on white high power
65 ma red

200 ma white high power in 10 amp range

it draws a few micro amps when off(varied a lot)
the 3 volt battery in the 24/7 should mean better efficiency
than an infinity ultra(per led) because the 24/7 has to boost the voltage a lot less.

paulr

Flashaholic
I can easily believe the 24/7 can run 100 hours in low mode, maybe even quite a bit more. I just took mine into a closet and it's definitely at least a full stop dimmer than a CMG Infinity, which runs at around 15 mA. I wonder if the 24/7 runs direct drive in low mode, with no converter inefficiency. If it does, the power may vary considerably from unit to unit.