Opalec NewBeam (AA Maglite Mod) First Impressions

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Well,

I received my Opalec "NewBeam" mod for my AA Maglite today. Here are my early subjective impressions:

1. <LI>What it Is: The NewBeam is a drop-in 3-LED (white) array meant to replace the bulb/reflector of the original AA Maglite. It also includes a much smaller 4th RED LED that will light when the battery life nears its end.

<LI>Fit, Feel, Finish: The kit comes in a plastic bag with a foldover tag that is also the instructions. The LED/circuitry and spacer come packed in a small film-canister-like container, very classy. The LED & Converter are epoxy-covered and securely attached to the plastic base/adapter. Another nice touch was including a new lens for the maglite in the event your old one is scratched or crazed (which mine was). "A" grade for thinking of that!

<LI>Ease of install: Took me less than 5 min, in poor lighting, on an older maglite, the kind the mod isn't supposed to work with...and it works fine (I may get a new one anyway in the interest of strength)!

<LI>And now...the light: In a darkened office, approx. 15'x20', it lit the opposite wall(s) easily. I could definitely find my way around without difficulty. The beam is un-focusable, but is very nearly perfectly round, with no evident hotspots. The 'flood' portion of the beam is very consistent too, surprising since there's now no reflector in the light. Also, the color is much warmer (surprisingly so) than, say, my ARC AAA.

<LI>Flashlight Comparisons: The mod, while obviously brighter (50%?) than the original maglite, was only roughly 30% (again, subjective) brigher than my ARC AAA! That little ARC gives this mod a run for its money. Both lit the room well enough for any basic need, and the only apparent advantage of the NewBeam was the larger center spot...about the size of my Surefire E1e (which came today, yipee!). I realize that comparing an incandescent to an LED is apples/oranges, but the E1e is significantly brighter--easily double, and enough to completely drown out the NewBeam.

When my Inova X5 arrives (Friday 4/19?) I'll compare the NewBeam to it.

My final opinion is that this wasn't a waste of money; I like the longevity of LED's and the runtime that I'll get from the NewBeam, roughly double that of the original Maglite bulb. I also like that the NewBeam has the low-batteru LED indicator. At $27.00 it's a nice way to complement the Inova X5, and not throw away the maglite.

When my Inova arrives, perhaps I'll submit this light to Craig so he can introduce it to the Punishment Zone
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
and give us a more objective & complete test.

Has anyone else here tried this mod?

Cheers,

/TCP

PS: Although not noted on their website, Bay Area flashaholics might like to know that Opalec is located in Walnut Creek, CA.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
TCP,
I may be wrong, but I suspect once you get the X5, the Mag will pretty much become a conversation piece. (& this comes from the guy that said you'ld like the P61)
smile.gif
TX

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Dang you txwest,

I LOVE my P61, so you're probably right!

Oh well, I might as well enjoy the NewBeam until my X5 gets here....

grin.gif

/TCP

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
TC,
That doesn't mean it's a bad light. I looked at the sight & thought it was interesting. I have the X5, Ergo Marine, SF Baton Lite, Ramsey 1 AAA LED conversion, NightBuster 8X, Pal, & a couple of others. I like them all. But if I had to pick one, it'ld be the X5. I am looking forward to the LS when it comes. It will probably take 1st, but I'll still like them all. TX

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear txwest, what LS are you referring to? The ARC LS or is Inova going to make an LS version?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCPilot:

When my Inova X5 arrives (Friday 4/19?) I'll compare the NewBeam to it.

When my Inova arrives, perhaps I'll submit this light to Craig so he can introduce it to the Punishment Zone
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
and give us a more objective & complete test.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you get the Inova, you may not want to put it down. The dimmer NewBeam conversion will definitely keep your Mini-Mag out of the garbage can, but it may not get used as often unless you're short on batteries for the X5 or if you forget and leave it someplace that you are not.
grin.gif

I already have an Inova X5 (or is it the 5X?), but thanks for offering anyway. 'T'was very kind of you.
smile.gif

See it not get crushed by a wheelchair at http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/5x.htm

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Craig,

That was a very poorly worded paragraph on my part
tongue.gif
. What I meant was that I'd submit the NEWBEAM to you, because I figured you didn't have one yet.

Your review was one of the clinchers that got me to order the Inova X5!!!

/TCP

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TCPilot:
Sorry Craig,

That was a very poorly worded paragraph on my part
tongue.gif
. What I meant was that I'd submit the NEWBEAM to you, because I figured you didn't have one yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I believe I was the first to get a NewBeam, and I posted something about it on CPF last Saturday. I think I have it at http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/newbeam.htm
smile.gif
:O
tongue.gif

So you don't have to send me yours.
grin.gif

TCPilot

Newly Enlightened
DOH!

My bad, Craig! I should have known you'd have one already. I'm too new to this flashlight game
wink.gif

Scatterbrained me, I dug back and it was YOUR post that convinced me to get it.....DUH. (embarrassed)
blush.gif
tongue.gif

/TCP

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Just got my NewBeam conversion installed on one of my Mini Mags. Took less than two minutes! Compaired it to my Baton lite. To my eye the Mini Mag is some brighter than the Baton and its color is not as blue as the Baton. I put some of the PDA film on the Mini Mag and it smoothed the light pattern out a bunch..about like the Baton. My opinion?...Slick conversion but a bit pricey...Baton lite cost less, but uses non standard battries tho.

prn

Newly Enlightened
Dang!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>TCPilot says:
Ease of install: Took me less than 5 min, in poor lighting, on an older maglite, the kind the mod isn't supposed to work with...and it works fine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And here I thought I wouldn't have to spend any money on this because I only have old style MiniMags. Now I have to get a Newbeam. Phooey!
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Paul

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carl:
Dear txwest, what LS are you referring to? The ARC LS or is Inova going to make an LS version?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Carl, That's the ARC LS I was refering to. I have a 1st on order. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow I just got it today and installed it.. very nice I have to say. The whole idea of putting a led to indicate when you need to replace the battery is ingenious! I think from now on all I'll ever carry is this modified Mag and the Lambda light. And the nice thing about this conversion is that they include a nifty replacement lens in case you scratched up your current one. How very thoughtful of them! Worth every cent of the 27 or so dollars I paid. It seems that the more reviews that Craig does on his wonderful website equates to less money I have and more flashlights I accumulate.
grin.gif
I love every single one of my flashlights!! Keep those excellent reviews coming!
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I just got mine. It is pretty easy to install and I also got it to fit in my old Mag as well as the new style. It is a bit dimmer then a Mag on new batteries. I haven't had a chance to do a runtime test, but if it really is that regulated it will be great. I can see this light with lithium's being a great emergency light. I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if it is brighter with lithium's, that would be a good test to see if they are truly regulated.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine (idiot mailman left it at my neighbor's house 5 days ago and they were away for the last week
mad.gif
).

All I can say is S-W-E-E-T !!!!!

This has to be the slickest mod I've ever seen. I was able to convert a minimag in less than 1 minute.

I don't have a review posted yet on my site, but I will in a few days - suffice to say it will be "Highly Recommended". I'll have beam comparisons vs. minimag with nexstar and LW 2000.

I think I just found my new "favorite" AA cell LED light! It's a hit with my co-workers as well.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The folks at Opalec have offered to send me one for review, fingers crossed they can send me one cos from all I`ve been hearing, it`s the best thing to happen to the Minimag since they launched all those pretty colours
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

BTW I checked their site last night and it seems overseas buyers can place orders through the site. The USA only message that I got when I first tried it didn`t appear this time.
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. My review is up, but the site is down...
frown.gif
Hopefully it'll be up again soon...

So in the meantime....

I'm rating this little gem as if it was an LED flashlight, I just think it's so clever and well made!

It gets (drumroll please...) 5 Stars !!! for innovation and design. Only the 2nd item to be rated this highly.

Enjoy!

(BTW - did some checking - they're probably moving the server so it'll be down for the next 12-24 hours....
blush.gif
)

Roy

Last weekend I was at my Dad's 85th Birthday celebration and while there I made the mistake of showing him my New Beam converted MiniMag. His response was, "Thank you for the Birthday present!" So....I've had to order me another kit!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Roy

Save the little plastic cup the the small parts come it! It makes a nice cap to fit over the end of the extra battery holders for an ARC LS (SLS)!
grin.gif