Removing HA3 success

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just removed my first HA3 finish from an ARC AAA head, I used as recommended in previous posts Sodium Hidroxide (NAOH - Lye) the main difference (and reason of this post) is that I used it at 0.1N concentration, you can manipulate the thing with your bare hands with almost no risk.

I had this solution for tritrating an acid solution (vinegar) so I know its exactly 0.1N

The HA3 was removed with a cloth after leaving the head (led down) for about 2 hours.

tomorrow I'll post photos of the complete light!

Pablo

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, we have a mad chemist on the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've been curious as to the minimum concentration of NaOH to use to strip anodizing. Sounds like safe levels will work.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM, no chemist at all CM, long story short, I like red wine, when you drink a bottle sometimes there are leftovers, these leftovers can be converted to vinegar easily, this vinegar needs to be titrated to know the acid level, and best of all, the vinegar tastes greeeeeat.

not at all Tyler, and since I left the head standing with the led at the bottom, it don't even touched the rubber foam.
The shiny aluminum reflector surface is opaque, but I guess a good polish will restore it fine.

Pablo

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pablo, you have PM (off topic subject on your wine to vinegar conversion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
Pablo, you have PM (off topic subject on your wine to vinegar conversion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep we definitley need a tutorial in the cafe for that. My girl friend always opens my good wine and only drinks one glass a day. After one or two days she just leaves the half empty bottle standing around.
Please!!! Tutorial!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Chrisse

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dharmabum:when you drink "some" bottles, from time to time, the last one is not empty, but at the time you don't care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Wildcat: it should work for any anodized part.

Pablo

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions: How do I approximate the .01N solution? Is this like 1 part lye to 10 parts water? All I know about chemistry is 86 proof is 43%!!!! (However I do know to be very careful with lye, etc)

Can I really submerge the head up to the "o" ring with no damage? If it clouds the reflector, how would I polish it without damaging the led?

Thanks.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends of the concentration of the lye, if its say 50% and you have one liter of it. Then you have to add 50 liters of water to make it 0.1%.

Or,

take 1/100 of a liter (10 ml) and add half liter of water to it, its the same you end up having 0.1% lye

Pablo

ak47colt45

Newly Enlightened
hello, just one question was reading what you posted and was wondering, when modifying torches, do you use existing parts or do you machine and make new components, I was just curious to know.

Most of the time when do under repairs and modification, I normally use existing parts salvaged from other torches, well just wondering, hope to hear a reply soon

wayne.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ak47colt45,

That's really off topic. If you have question, you should start a new thread.

In answering your question, I'll machine new components unless there is an existing part available that will do the job. Many mods can be done without fabricating anything.

cy

Flashaholic
Just wanted let everyone know. There are two ways to remove HA. One method is with a caustic solution as described. the other is to use nitric acid.

There are avantages and disadvantages of both. Using nitric acid is much kinder on the aluminum, but is very hazardous to you. using a mild castic solution is kinder to your skin but can be harsh to aluminum.

When you use a caustic solution, it will open up the pores of the aluminum. VS using an acid will seal up those pores.

After a caustic treatment the aluminum is very open to corrosion and should be chemdipped or polished to seal pores. Hot water for several minutes should help seal as well.

edit: I posted the nitric acid for information purposes only. Nitric acid strong enough to do the job is extremely hazardous to handle.

removing your HA with weak lye as suggested is probably the safest way.

the objective of the above post was to inform folks. you need to seal the raw activated aluminum afterwards with hot water or chemdip. or it's open to extreme corosion.

cy

Flashaholic
I was posting the nitric acid for information purposes only.

Nitric acid strong enough to do the job is extremely hazardous to handle.

see edit from original post above.

Wildcat

Enlightened
okay, where can i get lye. can I just mix up some wood ash and water? Will the lye still be good for this after i make a batch of hominy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theepdinker

Enlightened
Red Devil powder or crystal drain cleaner is lye.

In the seasonal section of most big hardware stores and some Wal-marts you can find fireplace/wood stove glass cleaners. Look for "Speedy White". It's a 2% lye solution.

Some oven cleaners are lye based too.

Remember- Lots of ventilation,rubber gloves & eye protection if you start high purity lye. It does nasty things to skin-lungs-eyes-nerves you name it.

Theepdinker