900mAH NiMH AAAs

balrog

Enlightened
I wasn't even aware that 900mAH NiMH AAAs were coming but when I went into Jaycar Electronics they had them sitting there right next to the cash register with the other impulse buying stuff. The brand of these is Powertech. Have I been asleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif, or is this news for most people?

paulr

Flashaholic
I dunno about Powertech but I've been seeing some pretty outlandish capacity claims from off-brand NiMH cells lately. I'd be skeptical until seeing some independent test results.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i currently have 4 900mah aaas and 2 2300mah aas from jaycar sitting in my drawer looking for a good home (probably my digital camera and my PT blast)

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the name possible Powerex. If it is Powerex I would trust the claim to be pretty close to accurate.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I assume 2300 mah, is bigger, than 900 Mah?, am I right or wrong?. Still trying to learn all the names and things.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigmikey>

assuming the claims are correct, Yes. In this case it is the AAs at 2300 and the AAAs at 900. Quite a size difference.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
bigmikey>

assuming the claims are correct, Yes. In this case it is the AAs at 2300 and the AAAs at 900. Quite a size difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you do a Google search you will find these Chinese made Powertech cells available in Australia. Maybe it's the proximity to China or something. But if you read the battery tests on this site : http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Reviews.html, they claim little difference btw most AAA's as they are not designed for high-current/loads. While it is claimed that the Japanese AA NiMH are superior to Chinese made NiMH. So many branded NiMH batteries coming from China now, it is difficult to keep track of which are poor performers and which are the best. CPF member PeLU has some Chinese made IMAX batteries rated for 1000ma in AAA, and 2600ma; but do they test out only a very low loads of 1/10C or less? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=624680

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=606392

See this thread for complaints about false advertising of capacities in NiMH. NiMH Batteries--None living up to ratings!

Another thing to consider is that Li-Ion bare cells still have greater energy density, weigh less, don't require a sandwich/stepup with resulting loss of efficiency in conversion to 3+volts to run Luxeon LED's and such. 3.7v from one AAA Li-Ion instead of 3 AAA NiMH to get the same voltage. And consider the highest 'claimed' capacity of 1000ma for a NiMH AAA, so engergy density is 1.2w Ah. While a new Li-Ion AAA (not sure if Li-Ion gain anything in capacity after charging a few cycles like NiMH) that CPF member Doug S tested was close to it's 300ma rating. Or 3.7v X 300ma = 1.1w Ah.
AAA Li-Ion cells/charger are available

balrog

Enlightened
udaman, wow, thanks for all that info and those links. I'm still digesting it. I'm all for Li-Ions. High output voltage and high energy densities is excellent. I barely use 123s any more. The only problem with AA and AAA sized Li-Ions is that they often aren't compatible with lights that run off AA or AAA batteries. For example, can you safely run a 14500 Li-Ion into an Arc AA? I also think chargers are an issue for Li-Ions, but that will improve.

Jon, They are definitely Powertech cells.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it turned out the 2600 mAh AAs have ~ 1700-1800 mAh and the 1000mAh AAAs have around 870mAh.
Both tested at ~0.7A discharge current.
I edited my old post because it turned out that this freind (my boss .-) mistook the charge capacity for this value (instead of the discharge capacity). Sorry for the confusion.

I remember times, when the stated the average capacity and some manufacturers even the minimum.
Sanyo cells 15 years ago had usually 10% more than they stated.

My best AAA cells are still the Rayovac I-C3 with close to 1.9Ah.

But udaman, of course I use Li Ion cells where ever possible, but there are still lots of AA and AAA powered devices around.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing to make sure you check for with Li-Ion's is overdischarge protection. I wouldnt mind having some good NiMH AAA's. Hopefully will have some Powerex 2200mAH AA's on the way soon.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the green Powertech ones
I have these in my 12-LED 3-AAA Police torch, they keep up to
the full punishment and perform better than the Alkalines.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a few sets of Maha 900mAH AAA's. should get them and a charger in a few days.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hallis, where'd you order Maha 900 mAH AAA's? Highest I could find was 800 mAH.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 2500mAH Sanyo's are already out. search a few paged back in this forum. i think the title was "Sanyo 2500's ARE OUT!!!" i picked up a sweet deal on some 2200mAH's and a Maha charger on ebay. Hope all the cells arent dead.

Edit: Here is the link to the thread.