• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLux Aleph Series - The Impact

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi.

I felt the urge to share my thoughts on the new Aleph Series with you all ...
Demon11.gif

So .. . what changed with the new McLux Aleph Series apart from the look?
At a first glance, not much. But ...

Aleph1Series.jpg

- the concept of modularity has been pushed beyond known limits with the introduction of the LE ... seems a small thing at first, but when you consider the option of just exchanging LEDs with drivers between heads ... infinite possibilities and less money needed. Well, forget the money part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

- You can still use all your older E-Series compatible lights, especially all those McLux PR and PR-T heads ... and the combination can look quite good, too:

AlephX3T.jpg

McLux-PR BB750 X3T on Aleph 2x123 and McE2S-30, all in bare aluminium

- The incredible high-end quality of well-known McGizmo parts has improved even more ... better reflectors (McR-27 in this case) and a better front window seal:

Aleph1bezel.jpg

... with a double sided AR-coated clear glass window!

- The McE2S tailcap is the ultimate instrument to make your modular lights even more versatile by adding a low level with loooong runtime. Especially cool for all your older McLux heads and other heads that can now be upgraded to the next technological step just by the addition of a tail-switch.
And the switch can even be customised to change out the resistor value!
In fact, the McE2S is the greatest feature in the Aleph Series IMHO.

Two of my tailcaps have the problem that the switch kind of "blocks" in the momentary position for a few seconds after releasing the button. Should you have the same problem, check:
a) are the top and insulator o-ring lubed?
b) do you have the older style jam nut that needs some trimming?
c) is the insulator o-ring a bit too thick and the switch gets stuck in the barrel?
I could solve all the little problems with those three questions and my McE2Ss work like a charm now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

- Now we have a perfect uniform Dark Slate Gray HAIII finish.

- Tritium inserts ... yummie !

- The whole system can be customized according to your wishes ... you can order a light according to your personal tastes ... choose the body, LED, driver, battery, low level and add extra features of your choice.
You can even have combinations with the abundance of available E-Series compatible parts out there ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So ... is there something exciting about the Aleph Series?
Most definitely.
It is the most flexible high-end lighting solution I have seen to date. That's all.

Aleph1devil.jpg

And it is a one-man show.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Don.

The bar has been raised again. You don't just buy a light, you purchase a whole illumination concept with zillions of possibilities.

And there's more to come ... drooling on my keyboard:

2-1-3-lineup.jpg

I am really looking forward to the moment when the full potential of this incredible concept is unleashed ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

smoker.gif

bernhard

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very thorough and comprehensive review with great photos, as usual!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif & /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
that N1 logo is pretty cool, never noticed it before. so these are dark satin grey. grey sounds nice but they look black. in sunlight do they look more grey?

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take that big dude on the right in the last pic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that an "N" on the logo? I could never figure it out. I though somehow it was an "Aleph."

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few quickly taken pics of my little beauty - the one & only Aleph Wizard 611 LE light in the WORLD! muahahahaha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif Sadly, it suffered a tiny dent in transit.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
33385159.jpg
33385165.jpg
33385163.jpg

33385164.jpg

33385160.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
You are a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Guys, there is one pic there with a 5W in Aleph1 head which has a prototype reflector; not the stock McR-27. The reflector was bead blasted and then plated. It does a great job of softening or blurring the image of the die and the donut is removed without need for shimming the reflector up. Due to the time and cost of this reflector, it won't be an option. For the 5W's, a .020" shim works fine and is way more cost effective. Aside from that, thank you Bernhard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oh yeah, the characters in the engraving is the letter Aleph followed by the numeral 1.

PS09

Enlightened
Bernhard,
ditto Miciobigio says:great review ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
flashlight, your Aleph is my dream! I am envious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pietro.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PaulR,
There was an Aleph null but it didn't get past the proto type stage.

Flashlight, nice photos!!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
THE_dAY ... they are a very dark gray, almost black. When coupled with a SF HA-BK part you can see a difference , but is it so light it won't offend you and is considerably less than the different shades of HA-NAT. Here's a pic of a dark slate gray McE2S and McLux-PR bezel on a E2e-HABK and the McLux-PR X3T in bare al:

X3T.jpg

flashlight ... this is one hell of a light! pics saved to HD ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman ... of course I am advertising /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! I am strongly propagating this marvelous concept because I am sooooo satisfied and because I think those who do not have one really miss one hell of an opportunity!
And in this forum, I can do so freely ... untill the local bully stops me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Don, no one would have notices that strange proto reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Since it is expensive and I seem to be almost the only one to use 5W LEDs these days it really might not be worth the effort to produce this one. Although I really like it. It makes the perfect beam for the 5W and softens the beam of the 3W. The price is a loss of about 20-30% in lux in the hotspot. Whether this is just diffused and redirected or finally lost I dunno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

bernhard

nexro

Enlightened
Cyril,

Are those little "lines" on head and tailcap the tritium glow stuffs???

Any pic of your light in the dark? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Bernhard, nice colored highlights in your pics too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif And oh, you have one of those elusive black E2Es /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

nexro, yes, those are the tritium inserts - 3 around bezel (kind courtesy of & surprise 'bonus' from McGizmo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif ) & one larger one in the tailcap. Will try to take one 'in the dark' later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Joe, it will get scratched and dinged (see the X3T head in the frist post), but can be polished again.
bernhard

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hey bernhard, thanks & nice collection.....
the ALEPH 1 head really looks good w/ the 1x123 body....looks well balanced.
does it feel that way?
joe

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work Bernhard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif (as always)

I am in total agreement. Fit, finish, usability, adaptability, and even glowability, are not combined in any other light available at this time.

Don has really covered all of the bases and put a true "winner" together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For you guys who have time to play with lighting and photography (wish I had more time!), try a good UV source along with other light for bringing some life to the H3 vials:

A3-UV.jpg

A3-UV-day.jpg

Tailcap-H3.jpg