• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McE2S: improvements, fixes and issues

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Instead of adding this post mid stream in some current thread, I decided to start fresh. For the most part, the McE2S has hit the street in its original design and has functioned reasonably well. However, with many of these in use and great feed back from users, some issues have been identified. Hopefully the switch can be improved and refined as more experience is logged.

First off, the white nylon boot jam nuts often require individual de burring, additional conter sinking and hole enlargement. Having these parts machined was an expensive mistake on my part. I have since contracted for an injection mold and now the nylon nut is a molded part. Although the part does not comply completely with my design, it is a vast improvement which is good snce it was real expensive to get the dang mold made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif If you have a functioning white nylon nut, there is no reason to replace it. I am willing to replace any of these nuts for users if you will mail me a SASE in which I can place the molded nut and drop it in the mail back to you.

With some input and observations from both Bernhard and kj, it has come to my attention that in some cases, the isolating O-ring on the main body of the switch module will partially bind in the battery tube. Lubicrating the O-ring typically takes care of this but it is a work around. I believe that this is a result of tolerances stacking in an unhelpful direction. The bore in the tube is at the low side, the groove diameter in the main body is at the high side and to compound the interference, the O-ring might be fat. I had no idea that the common AS568A Dash Number O-rings were both over the specified diameter so much as well as allowed to vary so much in dimension. The original design calls out for a #010 O-ring used on the button as a retaining O-ring and a #011 O-ring as this isolating O-ring. With some limited testing, it seems that the solution is to use a #010 O-ring for isolation if yours is the case where the #011 is binding in the battery tube (thanks Bernhard and kj :thumbsup). I am now switching my build of these McE2S's to using the #010 for the isolating O-ring. My only real concern is that in the case of a raw Al light that this additional slop might allow the edge of the PCB to contact the side of the cap and provide continuity at unwanted times. My experimenting so far has not shown this to be the case. I need to contact Wayne and suggest he start supplying
the McE2S kits with 2 ea. of the #010 O-rings. Man, I have a bunch of #011 O-rings if anyone needs them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If any of you feel that your switch is being hindered due to the #011 O-ring, again, I will offer a free upgrade if you will mail me a SASE. I want to point out that I have built many of these switches and not noticed this problem! It may be, in my defense, that since I use the same host for testing all of these switches I have just not encountered this adverse condition. In the fewer, complete builds, I have yet to see this problem but given the wide open population that these switches are entering into, who knows what you guys will find! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I have been using the nygel as a lubrication but it seems to me that this grease tends to thicken noticibly over time?!?!? I am now wondering if I should switch to silicone instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif To my limited knowldge, the EPDM material these O-rings are made of is compatible to either the nygel or silicone grease but is NOT compatible with petroleum greases. I am starting to think that the isolating O-ring should be used dry; especially after switching to the #010. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Some of you guys have decided that you want less stroke from low to high and you have modified the height of the stem on the main body which closes the gap between the button and the resistor PCB. The result is a shorter stroke. This is fine but subject to personal preference and I think the stock format needs to remain with a fair distance between low and high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Well in closing this initial post, I can only thank all of you who have chosen to use these switches and as a group, I expect we can improve on them and I acknowledge that there is always room for improvement but please bear in mind that my resources are limited so viability will be tempered by budget, or lack thereof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif For most of you, this post goes much deeper into the design than you want to go. I hope that this disclosure does not undermine your confidence in these switches but does provide insight for those who are interested. I am comfortable in claiming that by and large, the switch has proven itself to be a functional and reliable solution and enhancement bringing a new level of illumination to existing tools! (dim though the level may be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif )

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif great post !
To make the "issues" sound a bit less threatening, I'd like to point out that
a) only 2 of my 8 McE2S modules (in various endcaps) were suffering from those problems and
b) the fix is so easy that even I could do it.
No worries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Don, I love the McE2S tails. I have three of them. No problems on any of 'em. My question is: is it possible to order a bare AL tail WITHOUT the drill holes for the lanyard/tripod? Just a pure round wall with no holes?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"Dad",

I have the tailcaps made by a domestic machine shop and the second operations of drilling and tapping the holes are all part of the package. A cap without the holes doesn't exist and would have to be made. SO I gues the answer would be yes but the cap would be custom and not inexpensive. I have a few prototypes and designs that I have not shared for predictable reasons; chief among them - "PayPal Sent" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HgRyu

Enlightened
Question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

"Some of you guys have decided that you want less stroke from low to high and you have modified the height of the stem on the main body which closes the gap between the button and the resistor PCB. The result is a shorter stroke. This is fine but subject to personal preference and I think the stock format needs to remain with a fair distance between low and high."

" modify the height of the stem on the main body "

Do you mean that I have to shorten the length of stem ?

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
"Dad",

I have the tailcaps made by a domestic machine shop and the second operations of drilling and tapping the holes are all part of the package. A cap without the holes doesn't exist and would have to be made. SO I gues the answer would be yes but the cap would be custom and not inexpensive. I have a few prototypes and designs that I have not shared for predictable reasons; chief among them - "PayPal Sent" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, not sure I get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I would like to investigate the costs associated with ordering a hole-less tailcap (bare AL). Thanks!

Darell

Flashaholic
Good call on the O-rings! I just cludged a thinner O-ring into one that was binding, and it most certainly DID help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
HgRyu said:
Question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

"Some of you guys have decided that you want less stroke from low to high and you have modified the height of the stem on the main body which closes the gap between the button and the resistor PCB. The result is a shorter stroke. This is fine but subject to personal preference and I think the stock format needs to remain with a fair distance between low and high."

" modify the height of the stem on the main body "

Do you mean that I have to shorten the length of stem ?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Details here tuning McE2S

balrog

Enlightened
Fortunately I haven't had any of these problems yet with any of my McE2Ses. However, the Aleph head naming/numbering scheme could do with some tuning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Well try this feeble justification..... The first Aleph head out, the Aleph1 is the 27 mm reflector head. The next head to be released, the Aleph 2 with 20 mm reflector is now at the anodizers and windows should arrive this week. The last of the three to be released will be the Aleph 3 which has the 38 mm reflector. So the numbers relate to the sequence in which they will become available! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The Aleph 1 has already been designated and there is no turning back on it. Perhaps considering the Aleph 2 as designating 20 mm and the Aleph 3 as designating 38 mm will help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

One could also make a case that the numbering could indicate the preference or sequence in which one might select one of the lights. I believe the Aleph 1 with its 27 mm reflector is the most versatile of the three in terms of range of target illumination. Next would be the Aleph 2 with a smaller form factor and better suited to close to medium range illumination and finally the Aleph 3 with its more specialized and optimized beam concentration, at the expense of size.

In retrospect, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don,

As a non-modder the only way I found to relieve McE2S spring pressure was to cut the springs down a bit. This wasn't a great solution and after reading this thread I realized the trick is to shorten throw between low and high

I spent the last hour in a mechanically-challenged frenzy trying to take the E2S apart. In lieu of a 3/32" allen wtrench I used a screwdriver blade that locked into the hex aperture and used a needle nose pliers to very awkwardly attempt to keep the whole unit from spinning, to no avail.

I'll get the Allen wrench tomorrow but I'm still at a total loss as to how to do this. I understand that you prefer a stock setting and any alteration is best done by the individual, but this individual doesn't have a clue!

I was careful to review all McE2S posts before posting this and I'm still willing to try it on my own but at this point I'd appreciate any help you can give me, starting with how I can get the darn thing apart.

Thanks,
Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brightnorm,
You need the allen wrench and then you need some pliers to hold the metal button fixed when you loosen the screw.

In the cutaway below, the screw is not shown but it threads into the button (purple)

switch-assembly-circuit.jpg

I believe you can see how the button sits on the stem or post of the main body and the gap between the flange on the bottom of the button and the top of the resistor PCB (in yellow). By filing down the top of the stem, this gap is reduced.

balrog

Enlightened
Don, I have no problem remembering which head is which. However, when someone buys an Aleph 1 and receives an Aleph 2, that might be a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. You can call them whatever you want since you gave them life.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said: I believe you can see how the button sits on the stem or post of the main body and the gap between the flange on the bottom of the button and the top of the resistor PCB (in yellow). By filing down the top of the stem, this gap is reduced.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you decide to file this down. please note what you are trying to reduce is small. aprox. .015in or 4x sheets typewriter paper.

go slow filing down in stages. testing as you go. I was very pleased with my results. your mileage may veri.

I agree with Don's accessment that the stock demensions needs to stay the same. Factoring in mfg tolarances, it's better to have too much separation, then not work at all.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make absolutely sure I know which part to file down, I've marked it on the picture below:
switch-assembly-circuit2.jpg

Is this right?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, thanks for the confimation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TPH

Newly Enlightened
I would like to take you up on the offer to replace the nut for mce2s with the newer molded one. This switch has added greatly to my L4 but I do have some fit problems. Please provide an address that I can send a SASE.... and thanks
TPH