Lionheart - Powerstream Lithium Thionyl batteries?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I've been looking recently for bare cells to replace the 150A in the Lionheart. I know how Lithiums work and I know how to handle them, so I don't think I need to pay the extra money for the protection that I don't need.

I've been trying to find lithium cells in the 18mm x 50mm size, but I've only been able to find these. Does anybody know about these cells? They are advertised at 3.2Ah, which is almost 3 times as much as a 150A, and they can continuously handle 2A. They are also cheap too, you have to buy a minumum order of $200.

Group buy?

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
I have a camera battery pack that has bare 18500 cells in it. When I get home, I can look and see what model of pack it is. And, if you pm me w/snail mail addy, maybe I'll send you the one I have. No guarantees on it's state, tho.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lionheart - Powerstream Lithium Thionyl batter

These are Primary lithium cells and are NOT rechargable. If you look at the graph, the 3000mah capacity is obtained at a discharge rate of 4mah. At a discharge rate of 1.2Ah, the capacity is only 1000mah, which is actually less than the Pila 150A..

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Oh, it didn't know it was a primary cell. Does anybody make rechargeable bare 18500's that have good comparable performance to the 150A?

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened

I have a Nikon powerpack EN-EL3, that has (2) 18480 (2mm shorter than 18500) bare cells. And, I'm guessing you can get these EN-EL3 from ebay pretty cheaply.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

If it is comfortable financially to include the Pila setup with your LionHeart, please do so. This is a for-sure working combo and vs. buying CR123s to run your other LED lights this setup with the LH will actually pay for itself (and probably the light, too!) over time. If you use something else the auto-cutoff function in the LH circuit will kick in to stop the drain of your bare cells and protect them from overdischarging, but you still need to be careful during recharging to avoid overCHARGING which is where the real danger is, especially when using a "dumb charger". Ya might even lose a hand or an eye during the resulting Explosion...!