Luxeon Star on a cellphone.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks, my colleague just got himself a new cellphone, and when i was looking at it, what struck me was this little yellow dot covered in a clear case...
pic1.jpg

Its the Sony Ericsson K700, in case anyone's interested... The Luxeon Star is supposed to function as a flash and flashlight as well. Pretty cool huh? Oh and here's the review site that I got the pic from, if anyone's interested...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez... i guess the next person will be asking for beamshots huh? :p But hey, this IS a flashlight forum after all, right? I'll check out the phone in a little while, didn't have too much time to play with it earlier...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just played the phone a little bit... first function I was looking for was of course the flashlight! As far as I could see, you can only turn it on/off from the camera mode, so its really more for taking photos in low light conditions. However, because there's no reflector/optics whatsoever, the light is just spread out, very evenly though, I must admit. A review I read states that the light is good for taking close up photos at a distance of around 30cm only. Brightness wise I'd say it would be brighter than a Arc AAA if it had some sort of reflector, but otherwise its too diffused to have any decent throw at all. There might be a shortcut to turn on/off the light, but otherwise that was the only visible way I could see of turning on the light... What do I think of the phone? Great phone, nice features (4x zoom on the camera), etc... What do I think of the light? Close, but no cigar... :p

Only on CPF would you find a phone review that talks only about the Led mounted on it rather than the phone itself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
It's probably the "Luxeon Flash". I think this is the same as a Luxeon III but with a much flatter lens that shaves about 1mm from the height of the package.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunno if its the same one you're talking about, but it doesn't 'flash' per se. You switch the light on and take the photo(s) with it constantly on, and it doesn't flash like a normal camera flash does...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think the Luxeon flash is a 1W part, and rated for a 10-100ms surge of current >1A for a traditional "flash."

I'm wondering if anyone will devise some sort of secondary optic to slip over the fresnel lens to re-concentrate the light into a beam...

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
I think the Luxeon flash is a 1W part, and rated for a 10-100ms surge of current >1A for a traditional "flash."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what type of light output this provides for the brief moment that it is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Lumileds app note for the Lux "flash" is DR01. It might be available on their website - I don't remember where I picked up my copy.

According to the app note, 1000mA @ 200ms is maximum pulse, 0.074 duty cycle (maximum of about one flash every 3 seconds).

Maximum output is 43 lumens for the batwing emitter, and a disappointing 28 lumens for the "luxeon flash" emitter. They must have made some tremendous optical sacrafices to reduce the package height by 1.2mm - or it's a different/lesser die in the "flash" emitter for some reason, possibly heat.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool, I have a friend who got a new Motorola (for Verizon) that has a LED "flash/flashlight" on it, although it appears to be 3x3mm LEDs.

Blue_Skies, is that light a mod or can you buy them? Thanks

-Mike