Charger for 9 AAs?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Is there a conventional charger on the market that can charge up to 9 AA cells at one time? Planning to buy for the Mag85 (using 3-D adapter) and the common ones are for 4 AAs, I thought it's rather odd to buy three common charger to charge 9 AAs...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know what's available in Singapore. Here, Ray-o-vac PS1 smart charger (4 aa/aaa batteries on individual charging channels) costs $8 (at local Fry's), so 3 of them would cost less than any 9 cell charger you could find, and each battery getts charged individually.

You might reconsider getting 3 x 4 cell battery chargers.

Cones

Enlightened
You might want to try one of the multichargers for the RC model plane market.

Look for, Super Nova, Triton, Infinity 2 (The one I have), etc.

They have 4mm sockets that you connect to yor cell packs with your own lead. Most do several battery types and work from a 12V lead acid car battery or DC supply.

I then buy the cheap plastic battery carriers to suit whatever number and type of cells I wish to charge.

Hope this helps.

Mark

oldtimer

Enlightened
Are those any good at all? Is the charge time of 16 hours accounting for 10 2250mAH batteries, or just a couple?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems it is not a fast charger.. but consider the convenience! the two links seem to be for the same charger.. one at 60% the cost of the other.

-awr

jtice

Flashaholic
I ordered one of those 10 cell chargers just the other day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not here yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Its not considered a fast charger, so, expect to leave it charging over night,
But it is a smart charger, and EACH channel is indepentant.

bkrownd

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the Vanson V6988, if you want to dig around a bit there are a few old posts on the batteryspace.com forums about it. (Search for the string "v6988") Some people there had complained that it made spooky noises. I'd put more value on the experiences people post here, if anyone's got any. I've been thinking of getting one of these myself.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Spooky noise? I probably leave them charging overnight in my kitchen, actually overday, after my night shift that is. Hope it doesn't wail like a banshee.

udaman

Banned
Considering a Mag85 (WA1185 in M*g3D body) or Mag66(WA1166 in M*g4D body) will draw 3.15amps or 1.97amps respectively at standard (no overdrive) rated voltages; these little AA NiMH's are not going to run that light for very long. I'd pass on all of the least expensive slooooooow chargers. I need a quick fix! Rayovac IC3 2000ma (truer to capacity 2000ma under loads of higher amps???) at 15min. per set of 4 charges would be my 1st choice now. But later in the year Eveready 2200ma 15min charge AA NiMH would be 1st choice. No Wally World in Singapore, but for those of us with access to Wally World; the Rayovac system costs $28 for the 4 cell charger +2 cells, and coupon for auto adapter. Get 2 of these for 30min charge time total. Then buy as many more of the 4cell blister packs at $13ea, as you need.

Same applies if you were going to do a couple of 3AAA-C adapters, and put into a Mag2C or 3C mod, get the Rayovac AAA 15min NiMH cells to use with this charger (the AAA's are good for up to 3amp discharges according to CPF member PeLu). Now all we need is low resistance 3AAA-C adapter????

oldtimer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
udaman said:
Considering a Mag85 (WA1185 in M*g3D body) or Mag66(WA1166 in M*g4D body) will draw 3.15amps or 1.97amps respectively at standard (no overdrive) rated voltages; these little AA NiMH's are not going to run that light for very long. I'd pass on all of the least expensive slooooooow chargers. I need a quick fix! Rayovac IC3 2000ma (truer to capacity 2000ma under loads of higher amps???) at 15min. per set of 4 charges would be my 1st choice now. But later in the year Eveready 2200ma 15min charge AA NiMH would be 1st choice. No Wally World in Singapore, but for those of us with access to Wally World; the Rayovac system costs $28 for the 4 cell charger +2 cells, and coupon for auto adapter. Get 2 of these for 30min charge time total. Then buy as many more of the 4cell blister packs at $13ea, as you need.

Same applies if you were going to do a couple of 3AAA-C adapters, and put into a Mag2C or 3C mod, get the Rayovac AAA 15min NiMH cells to use with this charger (the AAA's are good for up to 3amp discharges according to CPF member PeLu). Now all we need is low resistance 3AAA-C adapter????

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Energizer charger that is coming out is NOT a Smart Charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I wish I had picked up the 4-channel Rayovac for 4.99CAD when I had the chance =/. It's never going to be that low again.

bkrownd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Do you know what they mean by this? A smart charger with "* With maximum charging timer control for overcharge protection (12 hours)"? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would imply that if the "smart" circuit can't detect the negative-delta-V or whatever within 12 hours, it cuts off so it won't just go on trying to charge the battery forever.

bkrownd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Spooky noise?

[/ QUOTE ]

ANY noise coming out of a charger is spooky if it's YOUR NiMH's that are at its mercy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

juancho

Enlightened
I bought a Vanson V6988 and 13 AA Titaniun 1800mha, before reading this thread, now I am concerned about this spooky noise. My purchase is still in transit, any more information about the charger or the noise??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Juan C.

bkrownd

Newly Enlightened
You'll be our guinea pig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif You can look at what they wrote over there, but why worry about anything until you can actually test your own?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If I can find a reasonably priced fast charger locally, I will follow Udaman's recommendation, or else I might get the V6988.