Storacell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Aleph1 cured me of Flashalcoholism !

Default The Aleph1 cured me of Flashalcoholism !

This is a matter of fact , some days after receiving this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]-torch i don't fell the urge to buy or to search for another flashlight.
    I don't know a better looking flashlight nor a better performer ( in his size-range, 5w-please ).

If you have some suggestion but you don't want to reply in this 3d , feel free to PM me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

..... the only flashlight that come to my mind is a .... Aleph1 with more ( more , more ,more ) glowing-vials [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] that will be a 3-level brightness Aleph ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Default Re: The Aleph1 cured me of Flashalcoholism !

[ QUOTE ]
    Miciobigio said:
    This is a matter of fact , some days after receiving this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]-torch i don't feel the urge to buy or to search for another flashlight.
    I don't know a better looking flashlight nor a better performer

[/ QUOTE ]

Marco, I agree, although I can't guarantee I won't be tempted by the next "drink" that comes before me (like the LionHeart, for example). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img] But for now I'm clean and sober, too, because of these...

My "babes." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Troy,

i love your Babes too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] they seems made of steel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyway i'm in love with the Lux-V.

Speaking of 3Watter the LH seems a great flashlight (but you can't have one in a week or two) , and IMHO i like more the traditional look of the Aleph1 but i can understand that someone can love more the LH [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

As for brightness the LH seems to score 2910 Lux at 1 meter ( registered by Mr-Bulk read here ) and the Aleph1 score more than 3900 lux ( read here )

NB: We are speaking here of 2 top-creations of 2 top-modders so if you have the money .... buy both !

If i were still a Flashaholic i'll buy both , but the Aleph1 has cured me ..... for now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif[/img]

True.
    There are few lights you need after you tasted Don's creations. The U2 comes to my mind ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And Marco ... welcome to the 5W-Club [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] !

I still think the Aleph-System is underestimated right now. We will see the true potential when the Aleph2 and Aleph3 hit the streets, not speaking for *some* elitist guys here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] who already have one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] !

bernhard

Today is arrived my Aleph 1 5W. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Very white and very bright!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    I have tested it vs. a PR 5W also this made by Don.
    The Aleph 1 outperform the PR 5W to the great! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]
    Don a little question: like always I don't succeed to read to your writing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], which is the bin of the led mounted on my Aleph?

Pietro

Pietro,
    Glad you got the light! I am using 5W LED's that came from a very reliable source and they are all likely of W flux and prefered color bin. However I do not know the specifics of the individual emitters. Frankly, it is refreshing for me to accept that these are of preimium stock but to not know the actual bin. When I am out of some TY0J Lux III's that I am currently working with, I will be going to some Lux III's which are also of premium stock but unknown bin. The lottery is still alive and can strike in any bin! The proof is in the individual LED itself! I recently had a few TW0H Led's that I paid a premium for and by bin, they would be considered a premium, to be sure. Well yeah, the Vf was low, as advertised but in comparison with other T flux bin LED's I have on hand, these were either at the very bottom of the flux range or the others were steller performers!

From what I can gather, Lumileds does an instant flash with the LED's and *reads* their lambertian output at that instant to determine binning. Well judging these LED's on their first spoken words doesn''t seem to have any consistant or direct relationship to the story they tell once placed in a flashlight with a photon management system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

By bin, I worked with three great lots in the past; R2H, X3T and TY0J. The R2H's should have been bunk color but they weren't. The X3T's ware warmer than one would expect but they did put out the light! The TY0J's have been less tinted for the most part than the Y0 would indicate. If my sources can continue to provide me with premium LED's which are not identified by specific bin, I will use them. If I do know the bin of a LED, I will mark the LE with this information. I recently had a shot that fell through on some LED's that would have been of stellar bin coding. One of the stipulations on using these was to have been that I could not and would not identify their bin. I was willing to play and pay but it didn't happen.

EDIT: Above, I see a comparison of 2900 lux on a LH VS 3900 on a ALeph 1. Well this is two specific LED's in two specific lights. I believe the LH is using the IMS 27MM reflector and in tests I have done between the IMS27 and the McR-27, the McR-27 had a slight edge in terms of lux over the IMS 27 mm but no where near the imbalance reported above! And further my testing was between two individual reflectors. What are the possible variations among reflectors?? I am using constant current drivers so you can assume a +/- 5% or what ever it is in terms of expected curent provided to the LED. The LH is in DD so the current getting to the LED will depend on the specific Vf of the LED coupled with the under load voltage at the time of the battery. In terms of a "lux contest" I suggest that in any two pairings of the Aleph 1 VS a LH, the winner could be on either side. This is based on a drive current in the Aleph 1 of presumably a 917 competing with a LH on a fresh and relatively full charged battery. In a big picture, such a contest is meaningless, IMHO.

You guys want to know and feel that you are getting state of the art, high achieving flashlights. Well I think both Charlie and I want to know and feel that you are as well! Further, I think you are! Well if you are a boy, your johnson is probably bigger than mine. Know what, I am happy for you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I get along just fine with mine! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] If you get an Aleph flashlight, I think you are getting a good flashlight! I'll do my best to make sure that this will be the case!

Great reply.

Pietro

Atta Boy Don,
    Great reply, I frankly thought you had taken it all in far to long [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif[/img] & [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif[/img]. IMHO this runs together with the 5 watt(donut) issue that some people [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif[/img] can't seem to grasp that the .020" difference in the Escrew can't be implemented since the demand for 5 watts doesn't warrant the outlay of funds for these specific Escrews. I like the 5 watt myself especially since I built one myself, although I don't like the donut effect I have come to live with the characteristic . Don I totally understand your position and would not expect you to outlay money that you probably would not re-coop with such small demand for 5 watt orders.
    Anyway I had to add my 2˘ for what it's worth [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif[/img].
    Keep-em bright in the night,
    Jeff
    <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>
    I had to add this and I agree with Arewethereyetdad about the aesthetics of the Alephs. The look of the Alephs was one of the things that attracted me to the Aleph 2 in the first place, but the guts will be insane [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif[/img]. I can't wait till I get mine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img].

What? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] No comments about the sheer aesthetic beauty of the magnificent McGizmo masterpieces? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] For those of us totally L-O-S-T with all this technical mumbo-jumbo, are there any flashaholics simply lovin' the look, baby? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Arewethereyetdad,
    Here, Here point well taken [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img].
    Keep-em bright in the night,
    Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

Flashaholic

Arewethereyetdad,
    Hell Yah, I'm loving the look!! But I can't say it cured me, I now want the Aleph 2 on 1X123 body, and his L1 mod. I haven't stopped playing with and using my Aleph 1 yet, and don't think I will anytime soon. Nicest light I own by far.
    Brandon

[ QUOTE ]
    Noxiousbt said:
    Arewethereyetdad,
    Hell Yah, I'm loving the look!! But I can't say it cured me, I now want the Aleph 2 on 1X123 body, and his L1 mod. I haven't stopped playing with and using my Aleph 1 yet, and don't think I will anytime soon. Nicest light I own by far.
    Brandon

[/ QUOTE ]

Good! Not everyone's goin' techno-nerd on me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Cool Daddy Administrator

Great comments, Don. This *so* reminds me of the S-ranked 5mm emitters used in the Arc AAA LE. People were lining up in droves to get these yellowish (OK, we'll call them "warmer") emitters when the whiter ones were coming in the standard lights for less money. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] Maybe one day the binning will make some sense... that hasn't happened yet!

We're a crazy bunch though. We want to KNOW that our Johnsons are bigger than the next guy's! Fortunately, you and I don't need to have that competition.... again.

A very good and thoughtful post, Don !

But on the bin issue I have to disagree. Your argument is true from the manufacturers point of view with a terrible lots of experience with this stuff.
    We normal people on the other hand have no vault of knowledge to judge LEDs, the only thing we can use is the binning, and that's what we do. Binning provides an easy approach for quality measurement, even if it is not perfect yet. It's the only approach for those who do not know.

Of course if you say you are selling a great LED of unknown bin I'll trust you 120% on it, but imagine a new NoName production light with either a "very good" LED inside or a WX0T LED ... choose one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course I am not here to promote a frantic search for the purest LED in the best bin of all times, this is too anal to be useful given the high quality standard of nowaday's LEDs.
    Guess all comes down to a good compromise here.

bernhard

P.S.: those R2H and X3T are really scorchers! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

I prefer brightness over whiteness and over perfect beam , i ( usually )do not use my torches to illuminate white walls , so the first part of the bin is important IMHO . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bernie,
    Understood. However, what is the bin of the 5W in your SureFire or what is the bin of the 1W in your Pelican or what is the bin of the LuxIII in your Inova?

Now, if I tell you I have a great SWAK or real funky TWAH, which LED do you want me to use?

Man, I sold of a bunch of SWAM LED's because of their bin. I recently discovered that one of these SWAMs I had installed in a light for my brother (he doesn't know bin!) was brighter and whiter than a TW0H I paid a premium for! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img] Now there was a difference in Vf but not to the extent that the bin would have implied! Had I based my "selection" on what the naked eye saw, I would have chosen the SWAM. Funny that the light meter even supported this. OK, admittedly I am rambling here but man, I "dumped" some great LED's because of their bin! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] For all I know, these SWAM's were just slow risers and caught "stupid" by Lumiled's binning process! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

The proof is ultimately in the pudding and any numbers of lumens or bin on a piece of paper mean little compared to the LED and its actual performance.

I understand at the leading edge and with custom builds, we want the numbers and quantification of what we possess. I have also seen pursuit here on CPF of the holy grail of the latest and greatest "bin of the day".

I just noticed the subject of this thread. I think the Aleph system may well have cured me of flashaholisim as well! Maybe for different reasons or maybe not! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] ...... Nahhhh........... OK, enough of this pointless post. I need to build some of these lights and ship them. Carry on guys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Excellent post by many people - the usual suspects I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Don, you are right. I did not want to contest this.

I only wanted to say that normal people (like me) lack the proper knowledge base / experience / material to properly evaluate those LEDs. So the binning system with all its inherent faults is all we have to quantify quality.

And I am not talking about the "search for the grail" hunt going on, I am talking about "normal" behaviour.

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, if I tell you I have a great SWAK or real funky TWAH, which LED do you want me to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you discover a great LED I'll take it with great pleasure regardless of bin.
    If I am going to buy a LED some place else, bin is all I have to choose, so I make my choice based on bin. This might well be wrong, but if I , Bernie, offered you a SWAK or a TY0H, what would you take? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Understood. However, what is the bin of the 5W in your SureFire or what is the bin of the 1W in your Pelican or what is the bin of the LuxIII in your Inova?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know. I only know that SF is telling me that my upcoming U2 will put out &gt;100 lm. That is enough for me and this info takes precedence over bin, just as well as your statement about the quality of a LED is superior to the Lumiled bin. I am a happy camper if I can get a LED with such a statement of quality attached.

If I cannot, I'll use bin coding or don't buy the light at all.

So ... in the hierarchy of information I will always follow the statements of a trustworthy source (Mr. McGizmo, SF, Arc, ...) and not the binning. But if nothing more is available I have to accept the bin code as a tool to measure quality since I do not have the means to judge by myself AND because I am a buyer and not a builder and have to select a finished product as is without the luxury of the choice which LED to put in it.

That's all I wanted to say ... and I made your blood pressure rise to unknown heights [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

bernhard

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img]

Don [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] makes great lights! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif[/img]

"Charlie-binned" is a recently coined expression referring to Mr Bulk's reliability in producing superior lights regardless of bin. To this I think we must add "Don-binned" or "McGizmo-binned" even though they may not fall quite so trippingly off the tongue.

Brightnorm

[ QUOTE ]
    McGizmo said:

EDIT: Above, I see a comparison of 2900 lux on a LH VS 3900 on a ALeph 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, I normally would not comment on comparisons of any of my lights with any of yours, but since you addressed it then I will as well:

The only wonderment I had about the lux readings was that the same person also tested the VIP on High as reading 2,450! Since I have found that VIPs usually only average ~1200 with the stock head and ~1800 with the BH. I am wondering if his light meter is some different, exotic creature from the LH631 the rest of us use, and doubles the readings?

Heck, this would mean that if my light meter shows 2910 with the LH, then the same LH on His meter would read - 5,820??? Sheesh! I would like to know about his equipment!

Also he shows the Arc4 on High as being 1,000 lux, yet my own -4 on my meter shows roughly half that (~560). What gives?

Easy solution, Buy them all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Granted thats roughly $500-$600 invested in 3 lights.

Charlie,
    Since I don't have a VIP and obviously don't have a LH, I can't provide any relative comparisons and would be reluctant to do so any way. The presumption of bias would be legit and I leave it to others. However, when I saw the comparison made using your measurement on one hand which sounded reasonable and a measurement on an Aleph 1 which sounded stellar and not even close to typical, I felt comment was necessary. Our lights must conform to the same laws and rules of physics! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, you are essentially direct driving a Lux III on a Pila and managing the photons with a IMS 27 mm reflector. I would guess that the current to the LED would be somewhere in the neighborhood of from 800 to 1300 mA. It's just a guess as I don't know the specific Vf of the "theoretical" LED used in comparison. I do know that if say a LH were compared to an Aleph 1 with a DB917 that if the current were higher than 917 and the LED's comperable in flux that the LH would put out more light. Since my limited testing of a McR-27 compared to an IMS 27 gave a slight edge to the McR-27 in terms of a max lux reading, but only a slight edge, I don't feel the photon management part of the equation would imply one "winner" over the other. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

There are no absloutes in these Luxeon lights and at best some relative comparisons can be made if the same measuring equipment is used on both and eventhen, the relative comparison is valid only in regards to the sample lights tested and given the vast variations in the Luxeon population, the ultimate value in even relative comparisons can be subject to debate.

I recently did a relative lux comparison on the three reflectors I am using in the Aleph system where I used the same LE for all three measurements. Even in this comparison, I can't state that I caught the "max" or a valid "average high" lux reading for all three cases. I do believe the numbers are significant enough to provide a handle on comparisons among the three reflectors and can be used as an indication of the expected throw of the three.

Frankly, using stated and measured flux, lux and other bin numbers can be every bit as misleading as possibly useful, IMHO! I saw a post recently stating something about a TNC putting out twice the lumens of light as a SF light, both hosting Lux5W's. I believe the poster was basing these numbers on those provided by the two manufacturers. Now if anyone actually believes that these numbers can be taken as legit and basis for comparison, then they will make some marketing departments very happy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] There is a current thread running where it is shown that a 46% loss in flux from Lumiled's stated output can be anticipated in a real world flashlight.

Charlie, I am sorry if it has come off that I am trying "sell" the Aleph against your LH. If anything, I felt that some numbers were being misused that gave the Aleph an incorrect and perceived advantage in the aspect of throw in comparison to the LH. If you have a brighter LED and drive it harder, I would expect you to win a lux contest. If I have a brighter LED and drive it harder than you, I would expect to win! If we were to have such a contest, I propose that we both drive the LED's to super nova and not only see who's is brighter but who can burn out first! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[true]For what it's worth, I have a LH on order and look forward to receiving it.[/true]

[false] I plan to use a depleted Pila, cover the window with grime and then compare it to an Aleph 1 that is driven by a Wiz2 1250 and hosting the best Lux III I can find. I will post the two lux readngs as gospel and I SHALL prevail!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] [/false]

Hey Don, I want that Wiz2 1250 &amp; 'best LuxIII' for my Aleph2 LE when you're done so I can do my own [false] comparison with my LionHeart when I get it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Naw Don, just two words, "Lion Head"... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Flux won't matter then... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

Hmmm...mebbe I should just trade ya for an Aleph...?

I see where this is going!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif[/img] Lion Head!! OK, well how will it compare to the Aleph 4 with McR-90? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img] Wait, on second thought, I concede, you win! Now on to more important matters. If you want to trade, send me an E-mail and I am sure we can work something out. I would guess you would like an Aleph 3 but I could be wrong. Now of most import, can we do something about Flashlight??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Yikes. I've got the two biggies beating me like a sassy jackass. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img] And with the preface that anytime Mr. Bulk and McGizmo disagree with me, always believe them:

I have redone the lux readings several times, and the results are consistent. Maybe my light meter (LM631) reads high. Maybe my technique is different. I move the beam around quite a bit to find the highest lux reading possible. Because the light meter is slow to respond and because the orientation of the beam makes a large difference, it takes a minute or so.

Maybe my lights have unusually bright beam artifacts. Maybe my Luxeon Stars are at one end or the other of the normal deviation.

But what I read on the light meter, relative to what I see as differences between the lights, is consistent. The VIP is a great, great light. I've never said different. But the Aleph 1 with a DB917 driven by two 123s is brighter than the VIP on high with the Bulkhead which has just one 123 battery.

Certainly, my VIP on high with the Bulkhead is much brighter than my Arc 4 (another great, great light) on high. And certainly my Arc 4 on high throws much harder then my Firefly (another great light) which is handicapped by an optic. Certainly, my Aleph 1 outthrows my L6, which I would not have believed possible.

My post and measurements were as honest and careful as I could make them.

And, ahem, I do not behave like a sassy jackass. I only look like one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Josey

Flashaholic

All I know is, I LOVE MY ALEPH 1. Light meter or no light meter, it's my favorite. Even if something is brighter I am still partial to this light because of the style, color, and performance. And all that matters is, do you love your light? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]
    Brandon

o o battle of the masters.can i fild the event??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]