• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Aleph1 cured me of Flashalcoholism !

Miciobigio

Enlightened
This is a matter of fact , some days after receiving this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif-torch i don't fell the urge to buy or to search for another flashlight.
I don't know a better looking flashlight nor a better performer ( in his size-range, 5w-please ).

If you have some suggestion but you don't want to reply in this 3d , feel free to PM me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

..... the only flashlight that come to my mind is a .... Aleph1 with more ( more , more ,more ) glowing-vials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif that will be a 3-level brightness Aleph ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

09130012.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Miciobigio said:
This is a matter of fact , some days after receiving this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif-torch i don't feel the urge to buy or to search for another flashlight.
I don't know a better looking flashlight nor a better performer

[/ QUOTE ]

Marco, I agree, although I can't guarantee I won't be tempted by the next "drink" that comes before me (like the LionHeart, for example). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif But for now I'm clean and sober, too, because of these...

Aleph_Lights2.jpg

My "babes." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Troy,

i love your Babes too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif they seems made of steel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway i'm in love with the Lux-V.

Speaking of 3Watter the LH seems a great flashlight (but you can't have one in a week or two) , and IMHO i like more the traditional look of the Aleph1 but i can understand that someone can love more the LH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

As for brightness the LH seems to score 2910 Lux at 1 meter ( registered by Mr-Bulk read here ) and the Aleph1 score more than 3900 lux ( read here )

NB: We are speaking here of 2 top-creations of 2 top-modders so if you have the money .... buy both !

If i were still a Flashaholic i'll buy both , but the Aleph1 has cured me ..... for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
True.
There are few lights you need after you tasted Don's creations. The U2 comes to my mind ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And Marco ... welcome to the 5W-Club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif !

I still think the Aleph-System is underestimated right now. We will see the true potential when the Aleph2 and Aleph3 hit the streets, not speaking for *some* elitist guys here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif who already have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !

bernhard

PS09

Enlightened
Today is arrived my Aleph 1 5W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Very white and very bright!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I have tested it vs. a PR 5W also this made by Don.
The Aleph 1 outperform the PR 5W to the great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
Don a little question: like always I don't succeed to read to your writing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, which is the bin of the led mounted on my Aleph?

Pietro

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Pietro,
Glad you got the light! I am using 5W LED's that came from a very reliable source and they are all likely of W flux and prefered color bin. However I do not know the specifics of the individual emitters. Frankly, it is refreshing for me to accept that these are of preimium stock but to not know the actual bin. When I am out of some TY0J Lux III's that I am currently working with, I will be going to some Lux III's which are also of premium stock but unknown bin. The lottery is still alive and can strike in any bin! The proof is in the individual LED itself! I recently had a few TW0H Led's that I paid a premium for and by bin, they would be considered a premium, to be sure. Well yeah, the Vf was low, as advertised but in comparison with other T flux bin LED's I have on hand, these were either at the very bottom of the flux range or the others were steller performers!

From what I can gather, Lumileds does an instant flash with the LED's and *reads* their lambertian output at that instant to determine binning. Well judging these LED's on their first spoken words doesn''t seem to have any consistant or direct relationship to the story they tell once placed in a flashlight with a photon management system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

By bin, I worked with three great lots in the past; R2H, X3T and TY0J. The R2H's should have been bunk color but they weren't. The X3T's ware warmer than one would expect but they did put out the light! The TY0J's have been less tinted for the most part than the Y0 would indicate. If my sources can continue to provide me with premium LED's which are not identified by specific bin, I will use them. If I do know the bin of a LED, I will mark the LE with this information. I recently had a shot that fell through on some LED's that would have been of stellar bin coding. One of the stipulations on using these was to have been that I could not and would not identify their bin. I was willing to play and pay but it didn't happen.

EDIT: Above, I see a comparison of 2900 lux on a LH VS 3900 on a ALeph 1. Well this is two specific LED's in two specific lights. I believe the LH is using the IMS 27MM reflector and in tests I have done between the IMS27 and the McR-27, the McR-27 had a slight edge in terms of lux over the IMS 27 mm but no where near the imbalance reported above! And further my testing was between two individual reflectors. What are the possible variations among reflectors?? I am using constant current drivers so you can assume a +/- 5% or what ever it is in terms of expected curent provided to the LED. The LH is in DD so the current getting to the LED will depend on the specific Vf of the LED coupled with the under load voltage at the time of the battery. In terms of a "lux contest" I suggest that in any two pairings of the Aleph 1 VS a LH, the winner could be on either side. This is based on a drive current in the Aleph 1 of presumably a 917 competing with a LH on a fresh and relatively full charged battery. In a big picture, such a contest is meaningless, IMHO.

You guys want to know and feel that you are getting state of the art, high achieving flashlights. Well I think both Charlie and I want to know and feel that you are as well! Further, I think you are! Well if you are a boy, your johnson is probably bigger than mine. Know what, I am happy for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I get along just fine with mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif If you get an Aleph flashlight, I think you are getting a good flashlight! I'll do my best to make sure that this will be the case!

Barefootone

Enlightened
Atta Boy Don,
Great reply, I frankly thought you had taken it all in far to long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif & /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif. IMHO this runs together with the 5 watt(donut) issue that some people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif can't seem to grasp that the .020" difference in the Escrew can't be implemented since the demand for 5 watts doesn't warrant the outlay of funds for these specific Escrews. I like the 5 watt myself especially since I built one myself, although I don't like the donut effect I have come to live with the characteristic . Don I totally understand your position and would not expect you to outlay money that you probably would not re-coop with such small demand for 5 watt orders.
Anyway I had to add my 2¢ for what it's worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif.
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>
I had to add this and I agree with Arewethereyetdad about the aesthetics of the Alephs. The look of the Alephs was one of the things that attracted me to the Aleph 2 in the first place, but the guts will be insane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif. I can't wait till I get mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

What? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif No comments about the sheer aesthetic beauty of the magnificent McGizmo masterpieces? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif For those of us totally L-O-S-T with all this technical mumbo-jumbo, are there any flashaholics simply lovin' the look, baby? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened
Arewethereyetdad,
Here, Here point well taken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif.
Keep-em bright in the night,
Jeff <font color="blue"> </font>

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened
Arewethereyetdad,
Hell Yah, I'm loving the look!! But I can't say it cured me, I now want the Aleph 2 on 1X123 body, and his L1 mod. I haven't stopped playing with and using my Aleph 1 yet, and don't think I will anytime soon. Nicest light I own by far.
Brandon

[ QUOTE ]
Noxiousbt said:
Arewethereyetdad,
Hell Yah, I'm loving the look!! But I can't say it cured me, I now want the Aleph 2 on 1X123 body, and his L1 mod. I haven't stopped playing with and using my Aleph 1 yet, and don't think I will anytime soon. Nicest light I own by far.
Brandon

[/ QUOTE ]

Good! Not everyone's goin' techno-nerd on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Great comments, Don. This *so* reminds me of the S-ranked 5mm emitters used in the Arc AAA LE. People were lining up in droves to get these yellowish (OK, we'll call them "warmer") emitters when the whiter ones were coming in the standard lights for less money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Maybe one day the binning will make some sense... that hasn't happened yet!

We're a crazy bunch though. We want to KNOW that our Johnsons are bigger than the next guy's! Fortunately, you and I don't need to have that competition.... again.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
A very good and thoughtful post, Don !

But on the bin issue I have to disagree. Your argument is true from the manufacturers point of view with a terrible lots of experience with this stuff.
We normal people on the other hand have no vault of knowledge to judge LEDs, the only thing we can use is the binning, and that's what we do. Binning provides an easy approach for quality measurement, even if it is not perfect yet. It's the only approach for those who do not know.

Of course if you say you are selling a great LED of unknown bin I'll trust you 120% on it, but imagine a new NoName production light with either a "very good" LED inside or a WX0T LED ... choose one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course I am not here to promote a frantic search for the purest LED in the best bin of all times, this is too anal to be useful given the high quality standard of nowaday's LEDs.
Guess all comes down to a good compromise here.

bernhard

P.S.: those R2H and X3T are really scorchers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Miciobigio

Enlightened
I prefer brightness over whiteness and over perfect beam , i ( usually )do not use my torches to illuminate white walls , so the first part of the bin is important IMHO . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
Understood. However, what is the bin of the 5W in your SureFire or what is the bin of the 1W in your Pelican or what is the bin of the LuxIII in your Inova?

Now, if I tell you I have a great SWAK or real funky TWAH, which LED do you want me to use?

Man, I sold of a bunch of SWAM LED's because of their bin. I recently discovered that one of these SWAMs I had installed in a light for my brother (he doesn't know bin!) was brighter and whiter than a TW0H I paid a premium for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Now there was a difference in Vf but not to the extent that the bin would have implied! Had I based my "selection" on what the naked eye saw, I would have chosen the SWAM. Funny that the light meter even supported this. OK, admittedly I am rambling here but man, I "dumped" some great LED's because of their bin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif For all I know, these SWAM's were just slow risers and caught "stupid" by Lumiled's binning process! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The proof is ultimately in the pudding and any numbers of lumens or bin on a piece of paper mean little compared to the LED and its actual performance.

I understand at the leading edge and with custom builds, we want the numbers and quantification of what we possess. I have also seen pursuit here on CPF of the holy grail of the latest and greatest "bin of the day".

I just noticed the subject of this thread. I think the Aleph system may well have cured me of flashaholisim as well! Maybe for different reasons or maybe not! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ...... Nahhhh........... OK, enough of this pointless post. I need to build some of these lights and ship them. Carry on guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Excellent post by many people - the usual suspects I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don, you are right. I did not want to contest this.

I only wanted to say that normal people (like me) lack the proper knowledge base / experience / material to properly evaluate those LEDs. So the binning system with all its inherent faults is all we have to quantify quality.

And I am not talking about the "search for the grail" hunt going on, I am talking about "normal" behaviour.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, if I tell you I have a great SWAK or real funky TWAH, which LED do you want me to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you discover a great LED I'll take it with great pleasure regardless of bin.
If I am going to buy a LED some place else, bin is all I have to choose, so I make my choice based on bin. This might well be wrong, but if I , Bernie, offered you a SWAK or a TY0H, what would you take? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Understood. However, what is the bin of the 5W in your SureFire or what is the bin of the 1W in your Pelican or what is the bin of the LuxIII in your Inova?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know. I only know that SF is telling me that my upcoming U2 will put out >100 lm. That is enough for me and this info takes precedence over bin, just as well as your statement about the quality of a LED is superior to the Lumiled bin. I am a happy camper if I can get a LED with such a statement of quality attached.

If I cannot, I'll use bin coding or don't buy the light at all.

So ... in the hierarchy of information I will always follow the statements of a trustworthy source (Mr. McGizmo, SF, Arc, ...) and not the binning. But if nothing more is available I have to accept the bin code as a tool to measure quality since I do not have the means to judge by myself AND because I am a buyer and not a builder and have to select a finished product as is without the luxury of the choice which LED to put in it.

That's all I wanted to say ... and I made your blood pressure rise to unknown heights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

bernhard

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif makes great lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif