Milky's RayoFlood Mod

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky\'s RayoFlood Mod

One of the fondest memories of my childhood was my father using his old-school big, red Eveready 6V lantern... you know, the type made from molded plastic, with the squared off sides, big reflector in front, handle on top, and a nice, big pushbutton switch mounted for pressing by thumb. For some reason I really loved that light, and although I don't know what became of it over the sands of time, I've had a burning desire to treat myself to the closest equivalent I could find in this day and age.

Of course, now that y'all have perverted me to flashaholism, I also wanted to endow it with a really nice beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

After much tinkering and several false starts (including a few 6V lantern purchases that turned out not to be so great), I took the simple approach, and settled on the Rayovac 6V lantern that's available almost for free (with battery no less!) at Walmart and other places...

image-cpf-rayoflood-side.jpg

This light is smallish in size for the 6V lantern format and IMHO embodies the spirit of that big ol' red Eveready lantern of my father's. It's got the pushbutton switch, the simple, squared off form; and the clean, old-school look. But of course, something had to be done with the beam itself, which in stock form was pretty artifacty and not all that useful.

My first step was to try an EverLED replacement bulb in the light, but the battery polarity was backwards for it to work. (A common problem with 6V lanterns.) To resolve this problem in the simplest manner, I bought a 4D to 6V adapter from Digikey, but installed the D cells BACKWARDS... in other words, putting the positive side on the springs and the negative side against the positive contact plates. Hopefully this photo will show what I mean better than my meager attempts to explain it...

image-cpf-rayoflood-battcloseup.jpg

It worked great! At first I was happy, but some of the artifacts still remained, which continued to annoy me. I considered sputtering the reflector, but then, in a moment of clarity (pretty rare for me!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I realized that I wanted this to be a WORK lantern, or what some might call a UTILITY lantern. Basically, I wasn't looking for a narrow, long throw beam out of this light, but rather, the type of light that'll put out plenty of nice, even spill over a broad area, perfect for closeup work, and run pretty much forever between battery changes. So I decided to place a diffuser in front of the lens. Problem was, WriteRight sheets are too small to fit over the entire lens, and I didn't want to get into trying to cut and position multiple sheets!

The answer was close at hand, and the price (free!) was right, too. In an Amazon.com package arriving that day, they had used some of those air pillow inserts to cushion the contents of the box. Here are a couple shown in front of the light...

image-cpf-rayoflood-packing.jpg

Remarkably, these were just wide enough to cut a circle out of exactly the same diameter as the lens, and they seemed to allow plenty of light to pass through. Perfect! But now, how to mount it?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I finally decided to mount the diffusing plastic INSIDE the light, behind the lens, held in place by the reflector itself once pressed tight against the lens. That way the diffuser stayed put and wasn't susceptible to damage. As icing on the cake, it made for a really professional looking job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the photo below, the reflector to the left has just been pressed back into place (it pops out with a gentle tug) after positioning the diffusing plastic under it...

image-cpf-rayoflood-exploded.jpg

Now to reassemble the light and see how it runs! It worked! It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Although it was daylight when I took these photos, please trust me when I say that the result was exactly what I had hoped, a terrific utility flood lantern with long, regulated runtime and gobs of beautiful white light. Here's a look at the lens with the light turned on (all I could really get to show the output in the daytime, sorry) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

image-cpf-rayoflood-lit.jpg

Bottom line, the EverLED isn't all that cheap, but the lantern itself plus the 4D to 6V adapter are, and the diffusing material is free. The modding itself is pretty simple, and the result is a light well worth having, that's useful for any number of purposes and completely different from the other lights in my collection. Success at last! Yippee!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Milky\'s RayoFlood Mod

Well done! It's great to see someone else using this as an improvised diffusion coating or beamshaper. I have a huge bag made of frosted plastic, bigger than most trash bags, and I cut a tiny little 22.5mm circle out of it (yeah yeah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) for my MiniMag sporting a Terralux conversion. The improvement is nothing short of amazing. Like you, I placed it behind the lens, clamped down by the reflector. Self contained, self-retaining and water-resistant.

I'm now cutting a bigger sheet of it out for my large 4D Mag to use indoors, attached with a rubber band. Should I need throw capability, I just need to flick the rubber band off and voila, everything the Luxeon is capable of comes out.

You do lose some output and the color cast does change slightly, but it's basically a free beamshaper that's removable should you want maximum output.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice one Milky! I've been wanting to do that with my yellow Dolphin light. You may be spurred on that little project. Oh, what driver (if any) did you use?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hotbeam, the EverLED bulb contains its own semi-regulated (like the MadMax) driver. It's apparently a buck/boost driver capable of running on "one to six cells," meaning 1.5V to 9V. It's got a white side emitter 1W Luxeon on it, which I think is being driven at spec, or maybe just a bit above spec. The outer casing of the EverLED is apparently brass, but I suspect there's a copper slug inside to provide some heatsinking, because it's quite heavy for its size. BTW, the EverLED has a lifetime guarantee (if memory serves), which is a nice touch.

The downside is the $39.95 retail price. However, it certainly makes for a simple mod! Plus it's nice that the thing can be so easily moved from light to light.

Here are some photos borrowed from BrightGuy.com...

everled.jpg

Incidentally, I also used an EverLED in my goofy little "EverMag" mod posted over here several months ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

And the everled is friendly to lights without much in the way of metal to heat sink. Which is one of the things I really like about it. If it gets too hot it will actually throttle back a little. You can just barely see this happen if you leave the light on too long in a plastic light with no metal contact to the ever led base.

I have several lights that I move the everled around in. I think I need a few more of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

James, I never noticed that throttling feature... but it makes sense! I continue to be amazed at the functionality they were able to fit in a PR bulb base. I have noticed that the body of the EverLED will get quite warm after use, but I've never had a plastic part melt in any of my lights.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Too bad they don't make the same thing with a high dome emitter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

KevinL, not sure this will be of interest to you, but a while back I bought the $6 circle cutter featured in this thread, and it was a GREAT acquisition for a flashaholic. Finally, perfect circles every time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use one of those $2 poly cutting boards under it and have a great time. It's so fun cutting those little circles so precisely, that it's almost addictive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe Shmoe, knew you'd like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Some creative scavenging will find ya all SORTS of good stuff, heh heh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif WriteRight does well for mild beam smoothing, Scotch 811 tape (with Post-It Note type removable adhesive) for a much more diffused, floodsy light, and this frosted plastic mailer pillow stuff for something in between. There are all kinds of possibilities. Once I even hand-cut a circle out of a clear hard plastic cutting board that had all sorts of swirly patterns on it, and fitted it into my son's headlamp to smooth the incandescent beam almost to SureFire quality! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, guys, for the, er, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I encourage you all to try this mod, even if you use the stock incandescent bulb in the light. It's quick, cheap, easy, and lots of fun!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I ended up trying everything I had laying around...

Then I put two layers of Scotch Satin on an Everactive lantern. Much floody! Still quite nice! This is only on an incand bulb, as I only have one (Teal) Everled.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

'much floody' heh heh heh......

neg

---------
YES, im BACK FROM THE GRAVE

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice cutter - if you have enough lights that need the treatment that is definitely the way to go!

It works on all kinds of lights except the kind powerful enough to melt plastic. I've tried it on a stock Mag and what a difference it makes. Of course, you lose the throw capability but the beam has never been better for closeup flood work.