Brookstone LED lanterns

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If the LED is a single 5mm per unit, I'd steer clear. Single 5mm LEDs have trouble producing enough light when focused into tight beams - nevermind trying to cover a hemisphere with one...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the design of them though, be cool if you could stuff a luxeon in there.

The high/low setting is interesting, if it was a single 5mm then why need a high low setting and what good would be a low setting?

Only claiming 72 hours on 4AA batteries makes me think that perhaps more than a single LED is in there, but that doesn't really make sense based on the lens and configuration. You couldn't focus more than 1 the way it's setup.

I'd love to play with them, but not this month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif They are a bit pricey...

DaveT

Enlightened
I checked these little lanterns out in a Brookstone store a couple weeks ago. They're a nice size, the design is generally pleasing, but I couldn't really check their output in the normal store lighting. The folding legs are not very sturdy - and the mechanism seems a bit complex for what they do.
Of the lanterns I've seen that are comparable (down in this post here) lanterns
I'd suggest either the Guide Gear pack of three lanterns (12 LEDs per lantern, runs on 4AA - a bit bigger than the Brookstone lanterns, three light levels - and the three come with a hard plastic carrying case)
or, at the bottom of that post, the Energizer 2-LED folding lantern. I think this is the sleeper bargain of everything I've seen so far - $3.29 at Office Depot. Unbeatable at that price.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Actually I didn't think that $50 for 3 was that bad. Hey DaveT, are they plastic on the outside? Thanks,

DasFX

DaveT

Enlightened
Y'know, I'm not 100% on that...as I recall, it was metal on the silver bits and the black was plastic, but I wasn't looking at that aspect very carefully.
Sorry
Dave

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaveT said:
I checked these little lanterns out in a Brookstone store a couple weeks ago. They're a nice size, the design is generally pleasing, but I couldn't really check their output in the normal store lighting. The folding legs are not very sturdy - and the mechanism seems a bit complex for what they do.
Of the lanterns I've seen that are comparable (down in this post here) lanterns
I'd suggest either the Guide Gear pack of three lanterns (12 LEDs per lantern, runs on 4AA - a bit bigger than the Brookstone lanterns, three light levels - and the three come with a hard plastic carrying case)
or, at the bottom of that post, the Energizer 2-LED folding lantern. I think this is the sleeper bargain of everything I've seen so far - $3.29 at Office Depot. Unbeatable at that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto on the energizer 2led lantern. best $3.45 i've ever spent! can't wait to take this light backpacking with me. it pretty cute compared with the 4D folding flourescent lantern