Demon Arc LS Mod

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

As some of you may know, I've been modding Arc lights lately. Well, the first one I modified I kept, but it took it upon itself to stop turning on. So, I took it apart, put it back together, and now it has a mind of it's own...

demonarc1.jpg

demonarc2.jpg

I thought something shorted on the battery - nope. If I change the kroll switch it works fine.

I thought it might be the kroll switch. If I take it out, the light stays on.

I think I fixed the light staying on thing (completely by luck, it just stopped) and will have to pick up a new kroll.

Strange nonetheless. I dub this one the Demon Arc Mod for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the battery wrap at the edge of the (+) end, you will probably find a small nick in it, which is completing the circuit independent of the switch. This is commonly caused by a spur (often very small) on the retainer ring around one of the two holes. The spur is caused by the tool during disassembly.

The spur digs through the plastic wrap around the battery (which functions as an insulator) and completes the circuit.
Peter

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changed the batteries and it still did it. It's a very sporadic thing. Changing the Kroll seemed to fix the problem, using the same battery.

It does have a nick in it, but it works off and on, depending on what's changed. At this point, if the kroll is taken out, it doesn't do what's pictured. If I put the kroll in doesn't turn on. (the battery compartment is tight, no rattle, without the kroll)

I figured the batter insulation was the problem, but it doesn't appear to be the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks for your help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd still put odds on it being the nick causing your problem Enrique. Changing the batteries is moot, because the nick digs right through the new battery too. Pull that ring out and take the Dremel to any bumps on it you can feel with your finger. I'm pretty sure this will exorcise your "demon". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

EDIT: If the light is on with no switch, the "burr" is likely the problem. If the light won't come on, it's probably a contact issue between the retainer to wavy washer to PCB. Sometimes the washer is coated in threadlocker, which may affect the electrical connection. Make sure everything is clean, and maybe try snugging up the retainer ring slightly.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Jets, Litfues. I'll try taking a dremel to that ring tomorrow.

What's strange is that it just started doing this recently. It hadn't had any problems before.

The light has stopped coming on when the kroll is out, when the Kroll is in though, the pack functions more or less as a twisty, not a clicky. I'll take a look at the ring tomorrow afternoon and see if the demon can be exorcised. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks again.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm,, interesting, I prefer the twisties myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the retaining ring and it doesn't turn on at all with a 123 Clicky. It'll only turn on with a 2AA Twisty I have in my desk... I have no idea what is going on with it anymore.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroll switch died, I replaced it and the light works like a charm again... I wonder how/why it failed, I hardly used it...