Suggestions for a good flashlight for work

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been away from this groups for a little while, but I am now possibly looking for another light. I am a deputy sheriff and have a take-home car, so I can pretty much buy what I want personally and install it in the unmarked car. Anyway, what would you folks recommend as a good light for police work? Right now I have the following:

-Tigerlight FBOP

-Ultrastinger

-Stinger HP with US bulb and custom battery stick

I have also used an SL20X with the SL35 lamp assembly. Anyway, I am thinking about something rechargeable and I am wondering what you folks think would be some good choices for this application.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
lights i'd look @:
Surefire 10X Dominator
(pluses: super-brightness and high/low beam
minuses: has to be locked out on the charger and it's kinda bulky)
Streamlight Strion
(pluses: smallest rechargeable worthy of duty i can think of, but still bright
minuses: maybe too small and a little dimmer than the Ultrastinger you were looking @)
Tigerlight with spray
(pluses: bright and a good back-up with the spray
minuses: maybe a bit too bulky)
Mag-Charger
(pluses: modify it and it turns into a power-house of light
minuses: stock version kinda sucks, so you've gotta order parts separately that can sometimes be hard to obtain)

or hey, get all three and try them out. get a bunch even. make a weekend of it. ha, ha

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Stick with the streamlight sl20x w/the 35x LA for the car light; it's easy to charge, easy to get out of the charger, and produces a s**tload of light.

Get ahold of a 4500 mAh NiMh battery stick, rather than the standard & you're golden for a 'car light' (unless you want to upgrade to a Streamlight lightbox, but those are too big for me to lug around...)

Of course, now we can discuss what should be on your belt...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jas,

I think you should check out Jim Sexton's TigerLight upgrade thread in the custom mod section.

You can take your TigerLight and vastly improve it to the point that it seems like a brand new light.

I would steer clear of the Tiber85 because of the short run time, but getting an improved battery pack and adding either the WA1111 lamp (around 30 minutes run time) or the WA1274 lamp (around 40 minutes of run time) will make you very happy.

Tom

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies. I don't usually work in uniform, so I don't normally have a light on my belt.

-Where can I get the 4500 mAh NiMh battery stick for SL?

-Where/what are the Mag mods?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
kfasold keeps talking about this 4500 stick, but I can't find it anywhere!

Perhaps he is talking about the 4000MaH sticks that Ginseng special ordered last spring?

Bill

srtungate

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying out a Strion for about a month. It works great. Been using it more and more and leaving the Stinger in the vehicle.

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Nope, 4500 mAh is what the sticks say on the side -- got them off ebay just before the Ginseng special order last spring -- approx 2 months before; got them off ebay -- I setup a streamlight (20*,35*) search w/mailed new entries, and eventully the auctions for the sticks I got showed up.

I'll try to find the seller information & post... but I haven't seen any more listed since then.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest getting an E2e or L4 for your pocket. L4 doesn't throw as far as the E2e though. L4 puts out a wall of light.

Smallest light I would carry would be a single cr123a LED light there are a few out there if you want to go that route.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you have several larger lights. As others have said, the strion might suit you fine if you want something smaller. I'm not an officer, but I could imagine its usefullness. It's a small, no nonsense light.

Don't know if you've tried any Surefires yet. You might pick up an L2 for all your close to medium range tasks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

haley1

Enlightened
I'd suggest a SF L4 with Pila's. If for whatever reason you deplete the rechargeable bat's, you could stick in a couple of 123s and keep on with whatever you need to do. Or since you have all those other lights in your vehicle, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm rather more partial to the E2E's with a incan lamp assembly but I'm not sure if they're compatable with the Pila's? Other's know more than I! 2 sets of Pilas, they don't loose their charge like other re-chargables, so you could have them in your pocket for a while. Anyway that's what I'd do, and I will. As soon as my spouse quits complaining about my last purchase. I mean purchases. Allegedly for work?