Any one figure out how to squeze 3 AA in a 2C mag?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I want to build a DD Lux III 3AA in a 2C mag.

any one?

did you bore the switch module out? the tail cap as well?

totaly diff switch?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any one figure out how to squeze 3 AA in a 2C

The 2C body (including space in the tailcap) isn't long enough for 3AA cells in a row, and 3AAs in a cluster is the same size as the OD of the 2C body. Even 2AAs side-by-side is just a hair smaller than the OD of the body tube.

Basically, it's not possible.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Hahaha.... We shall see.... post with 3 AA in a 2 C soon to follow... :)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Squash the 2C body in a vise to make it oval. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Then the 2AA's will fit side-by-side and one behind
them.

Greg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is possible but requires precision machining and high cost. I suggest go with 1D instead of 2C. Best of all, 3AA to D (or even 4AA to D) adapters are available now.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Ok, well... it's operational but I cant get the tail cap all the way down. I have to bridge the conection.

crap that as much room as it gonna go too.

I bored out the end of the switch and made a new contact for the positive then slid it a far foward in the tube as it could go while reliably hitting the switch.

I lathed the tail cap a hair deeper and used a mini mag spring.

I could make a collar about 3/16" thick to make up the room but it will be adding length and defeating the purpose of the light.

I hate Physics sometimes, if you could just fit matter into teh same place it would be much easier to do ;-)

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Five mega any idea where I can get a few tenths of an inch?

I need a VERY low profile switch that the AA's can slide under while in place.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

you could try nimh AA batteries I have heard some of them are shorter or you could order flat top nimh cells or find some old cell phone packs on closeout and get some 4/5 AA nimh cells out of them.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you using rechargeable or primary? You can get flat top rechargeables which are a bit shorter, or remove switch assembly and replace with rocker type. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

SKYWALKER, if your putting AA's end to end then why not use Cs? Much longer runtime, and they are the same length...

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually i think C's are a tiny tiny, a few thousanths, shorter than an AA. To make life simple though he could always switch out the 3 NIMH or Alkaline cells for a pair of 14500 Li-Ion's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I wnat to use NIMH AA's for cross compatability.

I dont want any C lights and as little D light as possible.

I have over 60 AA 2300 Mah cells and they are what I want to transition over to.

so only AA ,123 and D lights for me from now on (and the occasional AAA as a have a few NIMH).

illumiGeek

Enlightened

The way to do it would be to remove the Mag switch altogether. Use a low profile rocker or something similar that won't block the body tube (maybe a Kroll clicky in the tail) and then make a battery holder that goes up to the front. Should be plenty of length then.

Hmmm... now that you've got me thinking about it, I may have to try this myself.

Aloha, iG

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I wonder if you could make some sort of clip kind of slightly Z-shaped that would fit between the ends of connecting AA batteries in a stair step sort of fashion allowing you to offset the batteries to put the tip of one to the side of the one above it using the metal clip to connect them together. That would gain you about the thickness of almost two battery tips but may have offset/alignment problems though... the batteries would possibly have to be in at a slight angle.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

the 2C mags have the switch assembly that removes from the top right? has a little retaining ring you can unscrew ?

Tweek

Enlightened

The one I took apart the other day was like that, it had the retaining ring in the top. It still has the setscrew int he switch, too, that's how they get their negative from the battery tube. Turns out that's why the one I disassembled wouldn't work, the anodizing under the setscrew was too thick for it to pierce. A quick touch with the dremel and an engraving bit and it was all good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will say that if you take apart the C switch assembly, it's a royal pain to put it back together, so be careful!

For reference, this particular light did not have a "C" in front of the serial number.

Chris