2 Watt, Luxeon AAA light - with 3-stage swtich

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off.. wonderful news.. i got it all working.. better than i'd ever hoped... the key was being able to make a parabolic reflector out of the cone that was there... the trick was this computer model:

AAAreflectorfix.jpg

The model is based on calculations from an excel spreadsheet i made for calculating a parabola around a luxeon emitter.. here is the chart:

reflectorchart.gif

The key to making the parabola work was first 'guessing' that the 'hot spot' should be 1/2 mm above the 'shoulder' of the emitter.. my spreadsheet lets you pick the hot spot and calculates the appropriate focal length to use that hot spot... then to fabricate it, took just a little bit of luck..

That luck is that dremel has a bit that has a curve that very closely approximates the parabola in this particular reflector... i just had to model the bit and play with position and angle 'til i got it to match the model...

It turned out that a TEN degree angle, and 3/8 inch into the reflector worked just about perfectly... it took quite a while to make.. i'd love to have had a lathe, but goes to show it's possible with hand tools.. took about an hour to grind the hole and another hour to polish it smooth..

The results? See for yourself:
before & after:
Image-6726B6A814BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg
Image-672650AE14BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

both of those shots are taken at one meter with a fixed exposure of 1 sec.. it's not a bad approximation of what you actually see.

The 'before' is actually an ARC AAA light... the after is the PEAK AAA on 'hi'.. about 450mA on that shot (a little drained battery).

here is a low-med-high of the new, quite improved AAA:
Image-6725FD4914BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Image-672628EF14BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

The current levels on the Peak AAA are about 100, 330, 450mA in these shots... works out to about 1/3W, 1.1W and 1.5W.

On a fresh charge, the high beam pumps out about 1.9w (for about 5 min before it's down to about 1.7W... in 5 more it'll be 1.5... haven't done a full runtime test yet.. but the estimations are: high beam will avg. about 1.4W for about 30minutes... med beam will average about .75W for about an hour.. and low beam will average about 1/4W for about 3 hours...

on 'low' beam, it just absolutely SMOKES the ARC AAA... on high beam it smokes a 3D shmaglight.

You may notice that the beam is a little bit yellow.. the reflector is BRASS so that's not surprising at all.. it actually just 'looks white' when not comparing to the ARC... and it's more pleasant than the slightly blue ARC as well.

If i had to guess the 'useful light'.. on 'low' it's maybe similar to a 2AA light... on 'med' it's similar to a BRIGHT 2D light.. and on 'hi' it's more like a bright 3D light... but it's 1/2 inch by 2 3/4 inch.. pocket monster.

here is a picture of the light with it's partner-in-crime the ARC AAA for comparison:
Image-672779D814BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

So... WHEW i did it... anybody else have a 1.9W luxeon AAA light? i'm curious if i pulled off a first (well, other than that it's 3-stage brightness.. pretty sure that's a first on a twistie light w/o any PIC control). It was a long hard couple weeks of planning and building and buying parts... it took 3 tries to get the last gnat-sized resistor on.. one fell on the floor and disappeared... 2nd one managed to self-destruct (apparently the silver end fell off... wouldn't accept solder anymore)... and I was having some serious problems with shorting out which took about 8 trial n errors to solve.. bad news to short out a LiON AAA battery, fortunately it was only like 1/10th second shorts because i was prepared for it to happen.

I will mention that a light like this would never work w/o the power of LiON.. i got my AAA LiONs from Slavin Batteries. I wouldn't look elsewhere, top notch stuff.

So.. questions, comments?

I may be able to answer at least one of the questions: I am going to try to develop a 'pill' I could sell, but it will likely come after minimighty so not 'til middle next year.

The good news.. in developing the driver for the next gen of this light (infinitely variable, constant power).. I came up with some neat stuff that may enable me to release another light, based on minimighty actually before it.. i'm really hoping by Christmas.

hate to have to pat my own back, but this thing is 'badass'... can't help a little gloating it's so fun and amazing.

For more beamshots and comparison to 'regular' lights.. check out the website

Oh just for fun.. one more comparison:
Image-6725A41514BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Image-6725D3F014BE11D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

that's my dad's maglight 3D on 'spot' and 'flood' compared to the PEAK AAA at about 1.5W on 'high beam'.. all from about 1M.

I plan to take some distance shots tonight when it's dark.. i'm quite happy with the results of the handmade parabolic reflector, i did not expect to get as nice of a spot at all.. i would have been happy with a 1.5W flood.

I hope to have some actual runtimes soon... but i can say that on 'hi' it takes a good 7min or so to get 'warm to hold'.. and on 'medium' it just gets to 'warm' and stays there... apparently i was correct in realizing that the fact brass is about 1/2 as conductive as aluminum was a good reason to use brass for the host of this light... the tradeoff is that the lux runs warmer of course... but i only can run it at about 1.7W max (it starts at 1.9 but drops off pretty quick).

In any event.. boo-rah.. dang i'm a happy camper today.

-awr

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2W Peak AAA 3-level with Beamshots

well
/me pats andrew's back

that is a nice piece of work you got there, bud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
mind telling how the three stage works? do you keep twisting it to select brightness stage?
i love it !!! good job.

Tweek

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

That's outstanding man, I really like it! Did I mention that I want one too? :p

Chris

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

shift: yes.. just keep twisting... twist about as much as 'normal' to get 100mA... another 90deg. get you 330mA and another 90deg gets you 450mA (those are after burn-in)... at first it's more like 525, 350, 110.. (opposite order of course).

2dim

Enlightened

Hey, me first, eh? Andrew, please don't make me whine...it's not manly.

"hate to have to pat my own back"

C'mon now, that's not entirely true. I've been encouraging you from the start, as much as a techno-klutz could. Please can I have the brass one, huh can I, puh-leeese...

paulr

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

2dim

Enlightened

Just goes to show there IS life after you-know-what, and even better!!!
Creativity and technical talent lives on after all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Very nice work,
I cant beleave you did something like that without a lathe.
The beamshots look great.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

did somebody say 'what about distance beamshots'?

Image-73EFA59614EA11D9.jpg

the rest can be seen here just click on 'beams2'..

That beam is 15ft to a brick wall... it is somewhat underexposed, but the idea is there.. i have comparison beams up as well. here is one:

Image-73E8294714EA11D9.jpg

this is a mag3D set to 'flood'... it's amazing that about 8 of my lights could fit INSIDE the battery compartment of that light!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mrd 74 said:
Peak should hire you as their consultant.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i ordered my last two lights from them, i mentioned i'm building a mod that will drive a lux at 3 levels... that they might want to contact me about how i did it.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

I hope they show an interest in your work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
Mike

McShawn

Enlightened

Wow, that is one Nice light, I want one. From what I've seen so far, you do some really nice work and all by hand, amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

THAT is impressive!

GREAT work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no idea what the 'pill' for this baby is worth.. i know it took about 2 weeks to develop. I'm in the process of figuring out how to mass-produce the switch.. i also am working on a version right now that has variable brightness.. dial any brightness you want from 1/3W to 1.5W.. same interface.. just twist on the head like normal.

I can't hazard a guess what such a gem is worth... until i build another 3-way model i can't sell the only prototype, but i'm looking to build a version that is mass produceable as a kit in the least.. (maybe just the switch and electronics... you supply the heatsink and the light... it's scalable to bigger lights like surefire.. anything that is 'twistie on').

'stay tuned to this channel' this is just the beginning. I have some 'sneaky' stuff up my sleeve... can't spill it just yet but the clever ones may be able to guess based on what they've already seen.

If small and bright is what you are looking for.. it's coming.

I have to say this light definitely has the highest 'fun factor' of any light i've used.. it's just shocking to see just how much light can come out of a single AAA light.

'it all started' when.. in my desperate quest to make the 'smallest brightest' light.. finding out that the limiting issue is always the battery... small batteries suck... the recommended max for an alkaline AAA is about 1/2W.. and at that level.. 50% is wasted on heat.. the suggested max of a AAA alkaline is 1/4W...

Enter the dragon.. the LiON AAA.. it is RATED for a constant 1.7W... that is MONSTER. now we are talking... now it can only output levels like that for maybe 20 minutes.. but it has the capability...

In actual testing i've gotten over 3/4W average for about an hour... at low-drain the battery is rated for 1.1WH... so not bad at all.

Needless to say i was pretty thrilled to discover. I hope other people will make some DD AAA lights.. aim for about 3/4W for output and you'll have a very happy balance of 'holy crap is that bright' and runtime.. about 70min on a charge i would guess.

I'm thinking it will take a while before i can produce quantities of the mechanism that makes the multiple-levels work, but there will be a handful.. i'm starting with 4 prototypes so i can test the different methods.... there is a chance i'll end up making a run of the ckt boards.. so if i can find somebody to produce the boards or even solder them up... the chances of a bunch of them coming out sooner than later is higher.

Consider this fact.. my 'main' project is the minimighty.. this was 'only' a tangent. I may have said too much already.

Cheers... thanks tons for all the encouragement.. it's what keeps me going after a 60hr week working on flashlights.

Go look at my other threads like the 'constant power driver circuits' thread in batteries included forum.. it has the driver i designed for the AAA in it..

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK.. just about done with a fairly un-scientific first runtime test... starting with a battery that maybe had 4-5minutes use on it.. i turned the light on 'hi'.. it's still outputting light after 40minutes.. dropping like a rock now though.. for 30 minute it was still putting out enough power to keep the body of the light pretty warm (but it never got close to 'too hot to hold'.. 42 min. into the run, it's about as bright as the arc aaa. just a lot more yellow since the reflector is brass.

from 'ice cold' (the brass really feels cold compared to Al).. it takes about 3 minutes to reach 'that's gettin a warm'.. and after 5 or so minutes it probably reaches max temp (guessing 105-110F).. where it levels off and if you are holding it stays even cooler.

dadnabbit.. can't see just looked at the light... figured since it's 'so dim' it might be my only chance to check out the reflector w/o going blind.. wasn't completely successful.. even after almost 50 minutes.. it's still putting out enough light to temporarily blind me. The reflector turned out better than i could have possibly hoped.. from arms length.. the entire reflector is white, a couple little imperfections if i hold it off-axis just a bit, not bad for dremel work.

well after 50 minutes.. the arc aaa is officially brighter... it won't give up putting out light though... dim as it is.

ok.. after n hour.. battery is down to about 2.75 and it'd probably take hours to get to outputting no light so 'game over'.

I will do a runtime test on med. and hi, but i might wait til i get a light meter, it might be more interesting if a little more scientific.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet! Put me on the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curious, what kind of output would you get if you needed to use an Alkaline in an emergency?