*DOUBLE - IMPORTANT* LionHeart Announcement!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Okay many of you graciously sent repeat e-mails, all is cool. Or so I thought. Went to go retrieve them all to copy and paste into the word processor, and -- they are GONE!!!

I am still working on this bug (dang!) but to be safe please send me the same messages again in a PM. At least they will be there (unless CPF goes down!!!) until I have time to cut and paste them into the word processor.

Sorry again!

Earlier today my computer crashed. Luckily I changed to a system (after the LAST crash, dang you Windows XP!) of saving all newly created files to the D: drive rather than C:, and thus used my Recovery Disks to reformat and create the C: drive only.

BUT...my Outlook e-mails were all on C: and are now gone!

So although a vast majority (90-plus%) of the LionHeart orders were paid through PayPal (whew!) and I can go there and simply build and ship according to receipt dates, there are a small bunch of you who sent snail payments.

So these kind people are the ones who should be reading and acting on this!

When I receive a snail payment I send myself an e-mail with the date, name, address, order specifics, etc., and that is all gone now. If you were among them (I do have a dim recollection of the names and will recognize them instantly as soon as they e-mail me) please e-mail me NOW!

Of course this also means I have lost the e-mails from those who either did not specify the finish or changed their minds about the finish (HA3 vs. Fast Track plain aluminum) and if you were one of these folks, please e-mail me as well. I promise this time to diligently transfer the info from each e-mail to a Word file, saved to my D: drive.

Sorry about this little misfortune. Believe me, I also lost many other unrelated files from my C: drive because certain older programs I still like to use will only save there by default, and thus this crash has inconvenienced me far more than anyone else (yes, take pity on me!).

Thank You for your patience and understanding - and please get those pertinent messages to me or I will be forced to ship you whatever I happen to be holding in my trembling hands as they hover over each box... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *IMPORTANT* LionHeart Announcement!

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I use the same system (Well I have raid-0 so I partition them C and D). Sorry to hear about your loss of unrelated files too!

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie, sorry to hear about the computer problems.. Email sent for the change from HA3 to Fast track alu for my LionHeart..

Tweek

Enlightened

Ouch, sorry to hear about the computer misfortune! (Insert you should be backing up your system argument here) I'm just kidding, even I know I should be doing that, but I've gotten out of the habit ever since it started requiring more than a few CD's to do so. I do however have a raid-5 array on my other big computer just for important backup stuff, but now I tend to forget about it and not copy the stuff over. Same problem, different method... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyway, there's always a bright side, you didn't lose everything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Email resent for your records. LH #1 fast-track with charger and 2 150a......LH #2 full HA3 w/logo and allodyne etc.

Curtis

LightChucker

Enlightened

Charlie,

Problem: If you simply write things to your D: drive you are still at the same risk. That is, the D: drive can fail too. All hard drives fail eventually - regardless of the operating system.

Suggestion: I still use my C: drive for data and programs, but I have an external "D:" hard drive that is several times larger than my C: drive, so it can hold several full copies of the C: drive. Now my data is available instantly regardless of which drive fails.

Chuck

Likebright

Enlightened

Charlie,
Revivification e-mail sent for one HA3 VIP oops --- I mean 1 HA3 LH
So many great creations no wonder your computer can't keep up.
Mike

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Charlie, does this mean you need the names of people who switched from the orignal HAIII to fast track aluminum?
sorry about your misfortune

illumiGeek

Enlightened

Hi Charlie,

You can put Outlook files on another drive. It's under Tools - Options - Mainenance - Store Folder. This will protect your mail if you have to restore C: again.

But it is always best to back up important data to an off-line source. Even a second hard drive is not as much protection as people think. It will protect you from an equipment failure, but if you get hit with a virus it will attack every drive it can find on your system. Frequent backups to CD, tape or some other removeable source is the best protection.

If anything like this happens again, give me a call before you restore. I probably could have recovered your data.

Aloha, illumiGeek (Tim)

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened

Please call illumiGeek next time before reformatting anything. I doubt such a drastic measure was truly necessary. PayPal may have just earned a bit of their overhead charge.

Erik.

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened

No need to contact Mr Bulk if you paid by PayPal. He can rebuild his list from online PayPal records.

Erik.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
Charlie,

Problem: If you simply write things to your D: drive you are still at the same risk. That is, the D: drive can fail too. All hard drives fail eventually - regardless of the operating system.

Suggestion: I still use my C: drive for data and programs, but I have an external "D:" hard drive that is several times larger than my C: drive, so it can hold several full copies of the C: drive. Now my data is available instantly regardless of which drive fails.

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately true, Raid-5 is for sure the cheapest solution. One HD dies, you replace it and it rebuilds all the data that was on the drive by itself! SO unless yu have 2 drives die at the same exact moment, you would never lose your data. It's different from raid 1 or 0+1, because it lets you utilize all the space of the HD's except for one, instead of 1/2 the space. Trouble is you should have at least 4 or 5 HD's to use it.

The writing data to D instead of C though, thats the windows solution, (not an advanced backup technique solution) Since every time windows dies you have to install your fresh copy on a formatted partition (or else you are stuck overwriting the old one and leaving possibility for more errors), also you will then have to re-install all the applications that are already installed, o your gauranteed to be wasting space somewhere or another from something you installed that windows no longer recognizes. It saved him from installing windows to D, then formatting C, then installing to C, moving everything from D to C, then removing the extra copy from D. So really having C and D sererate in this manner, still saves you some headache when windows dies, and does not cost anythng extra! But it will not save you from physical HD disasters. also can help if you contact a virus. Most viruses screw withthe OS not data files., so agan you can jsut wipe out C (windows and applications) and have your data saed on D.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Charley,

Reminder email sent re HA LH alone, no Pilas.

Brightnorm

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Okay many of you graciously sent repeat e-mails, all is cool. Or so I thought. Went to go retrieve them all to copy and paste into the word processor, and -- they are GONE!!!

I am still working on this bug (dang!) but to be safe please send me the same messages again in a PM. At least they will be there (unless CPF goes down!!!) until I have time to cut and paste them into the word processor.

Sorry again!

And thanks for the technical advice, everybody!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

maybe cut and paste em to note pad then print it out? im kinda confused as what hapened though .computers can be a pain in the but sometimes

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Tim, the thing of it was I could not even get the computer to accept any input. No mouse clicks, no keyboard response, nothing. It would boot up and go to my regular desktop just like nothing was wrong, but after that would accept any commands. At all.

I tried hitting a select few keys WHILE it was booting to get into the Safe Mode screens, et al, but nothing.

It all began when I decided to turn off my computer for its once-every-quarter rest period (usually just leave it run since I have cable and Norton, firewall, Spybot, Ad Aware, etc., all in place and regularly updated). So I turn it off night before last. Then the next day I turn it on and the screen comes on telling me I need to have the hard drives checked, not necessary, but advised. So I took MS's advice and did nothing, whereupon it went into its 20-minute checkeroo. Results showed some bad clusters (linked to Norton, forget the exact message text) that were "repaired". Went to reboot and that was when it went into its non-responsive mode. Would not even accept a mouse click onto the Start button (where I would have gone into a predate restore, etc.). But nothing, nada, zero, zip. Four hours of trying (had to unplug machine jsut to get it to - DIE!) with no results. So I used the recovery disks, rebuilding the C: drive only, and this is where I am back to.

Sheesh. Please PM me your snail/change-of-finish orders again. Sorry.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yeah Ragzz I was planning that but foolishly decided to wait until all or most came in to save time. Shoulda done it right away as each one came in...