Second Official Mod: Mini M@G Lite, 6 LED, SSC

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

I am glad to inform you that i have done my Second Official Mod. This one is for the very very famous Mini M-G Lite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif using a SSC (Simple Switching Circuit)

Ok, Lets have some pictures first.....

Pic1: MiniM-G, Peak LED's McKinley 7 Led Hi-Power, The Circuit (very simple switching circuit) Assembly, etc...
DCP_3119_LoQ.jpg

Pic2:Assembly Complete, Note the LED's Outside, Hmm, this mod is not a Water Proof one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but it has its own Advantages Also note the level of brightness of the surroundings.
DCP_3120_LoQ.jpg

Pic3: Twist ON the Light, Notice the surrounding, The camera settings are not changed. The light almost blinds the camera lense, hense appears darker
DCP_3122_LoQ.jpg

Pic4: Head ON with Peak LED's McKinley Hi-Power (Read Important Notice below ## ), Both are with FRESH batteries, in fact, the M@G's batteries are used to some extent (may be 1/2 Hr on the Stock bulb) where as, Peak Has NEW Duracell Ultra, opened up just from the pack
DCP_3124_LoQ.jpg

Pic5: What do you think ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Another Image, More Inclined towards the White Background. Which one is More Brighter & Whiter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DCP_3125_LoQ.jpg

Lets talk about some details here....

Circuit Used : 2 2N3904 Switching DC-DC Converter, Operating at efficiency of 62% to 68% (depending upon the battery condition, yeah less according to CPF standards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif hey..but wait... read further), Its Of Course a NON-Regulating Circuit. Uses PTH Components, Size Ristrictions prohibit me to use any additional components to make it regulating.

LED's Used: Six, Chi-Wings 15,000 MCD @ 20 mA 5mm. I am driving these LED's in 3S2P (3 in series, 2 such series in parallel) Configuration, Each LED is fed about 14mA to 15 mA (Not Over Driving at all)

<font color="red">Cost:</font> The MOST Important factor is the COST of the Whole thing. it is <font color="red">$6 Only</font> YEP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . <font color="CCCCCC">If there is Any interest for any members to get this Mod from Me, I will be making some more refinements mostly Cosmetic changes (proper glueing of PCB's, Potting of back portion to make it a more compact look, better PCB Quality, Yeah it is gonna increase in cost but it will be below $9 most likely assuming that i am earning $1.5 as a profit (out of which, from each Mod, $0.75 - $1 will go to CPF, as a personal support to CPF from my side. I have yet to talk / speak to Sasha in this regards, if such a thing is possible or not. So please bear this fact in mind.) .. Oh Shipping will be additional /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... yet to calculate how much will it take to various parts of globe... any ways... lets see... </font> EDIT: Please Note that italic-grayed out content is really a gray matter. I in fact do not intend to market / sell or earn profit from this. My intent to post the cost-logistics here is that i just wanted to prove that things can be "Brighter" & "Lighter" in terms of cost & ofcourse "Simpler" too.... also, I wanted to post that such a thing is also possible for M-G Lite... I am not aware of any MOD Available for more than 5 LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... may be this could give some manufacturer a idea... for editing this content, i have not been asked to do so by anyone. I just realized a few things and thats why this editing. The best thing is, Its just my second mod... and i am happy that i was able to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... I will still keep this thread updated for the runtime test + Efficiency @ various voltage & Other Technical aspects.

It would be better if we discuss some Disadvantages & Advantages of this MOD

Disadvantages First /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) No Security for LED's, they are exposed, Cant keep em inside Coz no space inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2) Chi-Wing LED's are Nice, White, Snow BUT Not all 15,000 MCD LED's have same characteristics. I have noted that out of these 6, 1 was slightly Yelloish in color, 1 was slightly dimmer. (this is a fact, please note this). I do not have any control over this.

3) The Third and the Biggest Disadvantage is there is NO Regulation.

4) NOT Water Proof (though it is water resistant) it SURE is NOT submersible.

Now Advantages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) Cheapest by cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (ok, you will get some other complete LED flashlights below $6 (Cheap Chinese ones), so please dont say that. its Cheapest MiniM-G Mod.. fine now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

2) Even though it is not regulating, my priliminary test's shown that it had lasted for about 12 - 16 hours of usable light on Fresh AA Alkalines. (I Am yet to do a proper Graph, awaiting for my "Light-Meter")

3) BRIGHTER than the Peak LED's Mc-Kinley 7 LED Light.
## - Important Notice: See, I do not have anything against Peak LED's Lights, I use it every day (thats why i had to change battery before taking pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), its sweet little light & is BRIGHT to a very good extent. I like it very very much. Since I do not have a Proper Light Meter, I cannot measure exact CD Rating for my Mod. This renders me to compare it with the Known Light. Please remember this fact.

4) Strange but True: The efficiency increases as the battery goes down !!! (will post detailed graph of Time V/S Currents V/S Efficiency V/S Relative Brightness) I am also currently in a process of building a PS to test these kind of circuits for various voltage & Current levels.... probably i will try to mimic the battery so as to give more realistic graphs.

EDIT: Added
5) I Did run this light for atleast 1 hour, there was NO Heat Trouble. The Circuit & LED's simple dont get warm at all !!!... however, the transistors & inductor was slightly... very very slightly warm. This was not the case with Peak's light (that i have) (as compared) ... it gets HOT in 3-5 Minutes !!!!!!!!! (is this normal with Peak's Mc-Kinley 7 LED Hi-Power ???)

Comments & Suggestions are Welcome, Cheers & Jeers also welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will be updating this to add some action plots too...

EDIT: Added I also forgot to mention a few more things. These things come up here last, but they are the very first and important things. I am very thankful to everyone who has helped me in understanding the principles of switching and other various important aspects as regards to improving efficiency etc etc.... There are a loads of special mentions to Mr Al, NewBie, Doug Owen ... and Every one else (if names are not specifically mentioned.. dosent mean that i am not thankful to you guys) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i am ... and from the bottom of my heart .... to everyone who has helped me, guided me, supported me...

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can it run off 1AA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, and unusual mod. Bright, too. Congratulations on your second mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

If you epoxy the circuit board to the bezel of the light, and pot the base of the LEDs in epoxy, it would help the water resistance greatly. Once the epoxy flows into the little gaps underneath the LEDs it will also help hold them stable and protect their contacts against water. Of course, use generous amounts and cover everything.

Beamshot comparisons are normal. We use 'anything we can get our hands on', and if the lighter is brighter by design, so be it. No disrespect to the other brands of lights intended. For example, my 500mA Lux3 sandwich is brighter than the SF KL1 (my workhorse EDC), but that's because it was built to be brighter. Likewise, the Mag5W is brighter than either.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd, Yep It sure can work on 1 AA, i have run it at as low as 0.5 Volts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but the current flowing through the LED's is very less at that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For Your Information, here is how the circuit behaves.
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Config Ip V Ip I Op V Op I Ip P mW Op P mW Eff %
8 LED 4/2 2.66 156.0 12.10 22.1 414.960 267.410 64.44
8 LED 4/2 1.41 072.8 11.35 05.7 102.648 064.695 63.03
6 LED 3/2 2.67 155.0 09.18 28.4 413.850 260.712 63.00
6 LED 3/2 1.43 070.0 08.60 07.9 100.100 067.940 67.87
4 LED 2/2 2.71 154.5 06.27 39.4 418.695 247.038 59.00
4 LED 2/2 1.39 070.5 05.82 11.8 097.995 068.676 70.08
4 LED 4/1 2.67 158.0 12.59 21.1 421.860 265.649 62.97
4 LED 4/1 1.41 074.0 11.70 06.0 104.340 070.200 67.28
3 LED 3/1 2.64 158.8 09.67 27.0 419.232 261.090 62.28
3 LED 3/1 1.42 079.2 08.90 08.0 112.464 071.200 63.31

</pre><hr />

Its very Prilimanary information. I am in a process of making a good powersupply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif will post the results with more details.

KevinL Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where do i get a transperent Epoxy?
I was able to secure "Milky" & "Yellow" Epoxy mixtures. However, i was not able to get a good transperent epoxy.

Thanks in Advance.
ViReN

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally you shouldn't get any epoxy onto the LEDs themselves - the base of the LEDs is ok though. Loctite's "Quick Set" 5-minute two part epoxy that I use is transparent.

the good stuff..

Try to get the syringe version, I got the two large tubes and it can be a little difficult to mix at times - it gets messy. Of course, once it sets, the only way you can remove the LED from the bezel is through destructive means.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello KevinL,

Thanks a Ton for your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will try if i could get this locally. Else i will order from web.

Thanks once again,
ViReN

oldtimer

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, how do you turn it on and off? I mean, since the contact is always connected to the bi-pin.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like a regular minimag, twist the head for on and off..

Now... if you can make this into something like a opalec newbeam.. but with 8 LEDs........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldtimer

Enlightened
As I've said on my post previously, from the looks of it.. the contact point is connected to the bi-pin. Looks like you can't twist it.

ViReN: I have a question. Very simplistic question actually. On the little black thing that on top of the body (with the two holes).. there is two metal flaps. What are those used for and how were they placed? I diassembled my MM without taking not of its orientation. =/

nexro

Enlightened
b2p, maybe he used a Kroll switch at the tailcap or some other clickie switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

Its simple twist ON & OFF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif bipin is connected all the times to the base.

I have also put up a small piece of PVC Pipe inside (between the wires ... later on) so that the wires dont "sccumb" to pressure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif while twisting ON & OFF.

The metal plates placed inside the black thingy are used for contacts, one is connected to -ve (of the body) and other to the +ve (inside, + Side of Battery) you can try and fit it.... If needed i will post the pictures for the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8LED's ... i wonder how will it fit in.. i can think a max of 7 LED's if you see my previous post.... (on Mini M@G)

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in fact looking for a Tailcap switch (remember, It should be Cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif by cost, not by quality)

is any one like this available anywhere ?

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I just Edited the content to make some "Gray Matter" & Some Additional Information .... on to the ORIGNAL Post up above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry again to create confusion....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN