Which is the better lens for throw using LEDs?

RobW

Newly Enlightened
I'm in process of building a light for use in off road bicycling, and although my initial design accomodates a Fraen tri-lens, I have since seen similar concepts executed using the Fraen low profile lens. My initial design features a lens similar to the one Electrolumens uses for the Tri-Phazer (Fraen tri-lens), but I came across some pics of a 3x5 watt Mag conversion which uses the low profile lens. Is there a clear advantage to using one over the other?

PS: Is there a source for the proper board to drive 3 Lux Vs at 700-900 mA with 6 volts? Or am I just better off using three of the sandwich type boards?

L

LITEmania

Read this throw and ask McGuizmo to built one for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

RobW

Newly Enlightened
Not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks for the info, I will file this one away for future consideration. I have the lathe work done for my current project, which consists of 3 LEDs in a circular array, and am trying to make a decision about which of the two optics I mentioned in the first post I'd like to use. Has anyone done any comparisons between the Fraen Low Profile lens vs the Fraen Tri-lens?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may actually want to use reflectors instead.
cpf member oeo2oo in the B/S/T/ Forum has some of those ims reflectors in sizes 17mm, 20 and 27mm.
Those have a bit higher output than the transparent, plastic, plug style collimator lenses.

*Retired*
A 2aa Mag with a big head and a lux III does this type of throw with an aspherical lens:

beam3.jpg

I guess it all depends on what sort of beam throw and flood you want.

RobW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I did a little more looking around, and this is what I think I got from what I saw; A lens can tightly focus a beam, while a reflector will do a good job throwing a beam while still letting some light spill, which for my app sounds best to me at this time. I like those 17mm lenses, I can fit four of them into the can I already have turned, with just a rework to the heatsink.