what's a good quality, bright torch ?

larry2

Newly Enlightened
what\'s a good quality, bright torch ?

Hi-i am looking at a good quality, bright torch-for camping, fishing, hiking...
something that is easy to carry-ie. 4xD cells or smaller
and gives a bright beam-light a spotlight but smaller.
I already have some lantern type batteries, so i'm looking at an easy to carry torch, with a long throw,
also really bright :)
i am looking at the pinceton tec surge ?
or the electrolumens tri star phaser ?
or the stream light stinger/ultra stinger ?
i have looked at http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html

larry2

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: what\'s a good quality, bright torch ?

The Surge is very bright but is not a long-throw light. It makes a wide beam.

You might try the UK SL6, which runs on six C cells. Its total output is a little more than the Surge's, but its beam is much narrower.

Finally, you could consider the Tigerlight, which is brighter than any of the above, and is rechargeable. There are some mods here on CPF to make it insanely bright, but even the stock version is very bright.

Why do you want such a bright light for camping, etc.? I've never felt the need for one. I usually just take a UKE 2L, which weighs about 65 grams, and has always been brighter than I need.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

UKE 2L is good as Paul has mentioned,for its small size, brightness and durability. Another good choice would be a UKE 4AA eLed for long runtime but less throw.

Personally I use my Eternalight Ergo the most on most of my camping trips, more so because of its dimmable functions. Apart from that, you might consider a dual output headlamp as well, like the Yukon HL or as such. I have a Pelican Headsup 3AAA 3 Led headlamp thats indispensable when hiking and camping. Hope this helps...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will second the TigerLight recommendation. It is a 2D sized, rechargeable light which runs for 1.1 hours and puts out 275 lumens in a long throwing beam with plenty of spill light. It is a GREAT light for playing in the woods and fields at night--take it from one who knows.

Plus, it comes with a DC auto adapter for the charging harness, so it can be recharged from your vehicle.

And if you ever want to trade lumens for runtime, the Tiger11 puts out 520 lumens and runs for 29 minutes, and the Tiger85 puts out 800 lumens for 17-18 minutes, although it is a bit touchy hot off the charger (i.e. it is prone to instaflashing the lamp when turned on hot off the charger).

Plus, it is a bomb-proof light. There is no conduction through threads or any heat issues to deal with, even modded to the Tiger85 level, and the LA is pretty well shock isolated, although not as well isolated as a SF SI bezel would be. It is HA black, and the price is quite reasonable. Also the switch is towards the rear of the light, which I prefer.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bright lights are fun for wowing other people, but I've found that I really don't need that much light for most camping needs. My two camping lights are the SF L2 (mostly on low mode) and a Strion for throw. A Twintask or Tec40 are also very practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a real small light try StreamLght Luxeon Jr. No bulb to wear out, only 2 AA batteries. Not real expensive either. That UKE 4 LED is good too and cheaper yet. For a plastic light its real strong and durable too (Explosion proof as well) Both have 1 watt LED.
There are better but more $$$$$. Just read CPF and try to hold on to your wallet..... Good luck!

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

My favorite incandescent for camping, hiking, or fishing is the Surefire A2 with white LED's. My second choice is the Surefire E2O.

My favorite LED flashlight is the Surefire L1 with the white LED. MinMag, with the Opalec Newbeam Module, is a close second.

oldgrandpajack