No flu shot for you.

doubleganger

Enlightened
America's crisis-prone flu-shot program was thrown into chaos Tuesday when the British government abruptly and unexpectedly pulled the license of the Liverpool factory responsible for making half the U.S. flu vaccine supply.

here:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll pass on flu shots. One of the problems is that they have to cook up the vaccine months and months in advance of the flu season, without having any idea of the genetic makeup of the eventual target virus. Not unlike predicting the weather for a given day -- six or eight months in advance.

I still remember the flu shots that were supposed to protect people from the swine flu, back in 1976. People were literally dropping dead before they could even get out of the building. Some became paralyzed.

There was not one single case of swine flu in the States.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
There was not one single case of swine flu in the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

See? It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last year's flu shot blend missed the target too, but apparently it was close enough to help by building immunity to a similar virus. My immune system is horribly low (for some unknown reason), so I need all the help I can get.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
most annoyingly the brits (as of this morning anyway) hadn't released any info on WHY they had pulled them. So we dont know if it was contamination or accounting error yet.

would be interesting to have a year without any flu shots, perhaps the large number of extra dead people would convince the doom mongers... I suppose either way it's all a conspiracy....

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened
You can have it...

The last 2 times I got a flu vaccination (about 10 years ago) I got sick for 3 days both times!!!

No flu since... (knock on wood) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one 2 years in a row, both times got sick. I quit since then. Lately since I finished high school I get maybe sick once a year or less. In school I got sick from Sept to June.

Last time they had a run on flu shots, turned out to be the wrong mix.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I like James S' conspiracy theory. One of the newer claims is that flu shots and the like have mercury in them to stabalize the mixture. The mercury causes cumulative long term neurological damage eventually ending in Alzheimers.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fester - you are referring to Thimerosol. It is a nasty, mercury-based preservative used in vaccine bottles from which multiple doses are drawn (as compared to single-dose bottles).

see http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimfaq.htm .

As for the vaccine shortage, this is one area where the Feds need to bypass the free market and produce the stuff themselves. JMO.

yo, and best regards

doubleganger

Enlightened
I just know I haven't had the flu since I started getting the shots about 10+ years ago but I had it more than once before that.

zippo

Newly Enlightened
the only time I got flu is after I got the flu shot. that's ten years ago.

2dim

Enlightened
Check out Oil of Oregano on the internet. Wonderful stuff. I make my own capsules for internal use and put a little in my nose sometimes. Mine comes from BC, Canada. No flu shots, thank you.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
PowerNoodle, that's exactly what I was talking about. I couldn't remember the name of the additive and at the time was far too lazy to research it.