A little 3W mod

waion

Newly Enlightened
I've just put a TWOJ together with a 1.2ohm resistor into my 123a*2 light:
P1010076.jpg

Although ugly, it works well with the 20mm reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010079.jpg

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweeet. love the color.. it's funny.. i was so 'against' DD lights..

'til I built one myself: my micromighty test lights i built for laborday camping.

Simple.. elegant, beautiful and bright i'm sure (what current level is it running and what batteries)?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Nice mod Waion, but ya shoulda showed them pitchers in -- Reverse Order! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't matter how it looks, what matters is how it functions! Very cool. Can't wait for the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif(beamshots ie.)

waion

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! Here's the beamshot:
P1010087.jpg

I don't know why the TWOJ mod on the left appears so reddish over the XM2. Anyway, it's very white to my naked eye.
With two middle-used 123a*2, it draws 740ma. With a 17670 li-ion that left the charger a month ago with some use, it draws 400ma only.

lymph

Enlightened
Looks good!

Maybe a tiny bit of the light is reflecting off of the red metal on the inside of the head... ?? Seems to have a lot of "spill" and maybe some of that light is hitting the red "lip".

Just a guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Nice photo. The lip point makes sense. To verify, tape it up and see what happens.

Fat

Newly Enlightened
waion,i did something similar only with a pelican body and a 3x6.8ohms(1watt rated/parallel) resistors.Its equivalent to 2.23 ohms.

I got a 2.2ohms R initially(looks similar to yours), its rated 2watts so when i tested it, it got pretty hot fast and i switched it to 3x6.8 R 1watters to distribute power between.

Mine draws ~750ma on new disposable cells,as the voltage drops from the 6v rated cells under load.Theoratically at constant 6v source, it should give ~1.2amps.I've been using it with a 3.7v rechargeble along with a disposable one to pump up the current to 1.2amps.Theres much brighter light output to start with before it drops down the slope this way.So far so good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yikes.. did i just read you are mixing a primary and rechargeable 123.. that's a little scary.. just drop the resistance... the lower the resistance the less power dropped on the resistor, so you can use a smaller rated resistor.. the AAA light i just made.. it only uses .1W resistors.. SMD style.. and it handles 1.7W ok.. just do the math and make sure that you won't start fires first.

Fat

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
yikes.. did i just read you are mixing a primary and rechargeable 123.. that's a little scary.. just drop the resistance... the lower the resistance the less power dropped on the resistor, so you can use a smaller rated resistor.. the AAA light i just made.. it only uses .1W resistors.. SMD style.. and it handles 1.7W ok.. just do the math and make sure that you won't start fires first.

[/ QUOTE ]

i only figured that the voltage will drop when i finished the mod.its all sealed up now/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.Ive been testing the rechargeble on a dmm before and after charging and monitoring it closely....just incase something unexpected does happen but right till now it seems ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Putting new cells in it works but output is lesser and starts dropping off from there,its not as bright as i hoped it to be.

This is what i made...its all sealed up
141_4106.JPG