Newbie, opinions wanted...

finebead

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading here and checking sites for a few weeks. I want a general purpose light, not too expensive, range about $30 - $45. I like the LED lights, because runtime seems important to me, more than throw.

This is what I am thinking.

For me: Inova XO or X5
For 16 yr. old son for XMAS: Streamlight Twin Task 2L
For 18 yr. old daughter at college: Inova X1

I have checked websites and I plan to use a CPF sponsor.

What do you folks think?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Finebead,

Welcome to CPF. You have made a nice selection. I would also like you to have a look at http://www.peakledsolutions.com they also make good quality Lights. I have a Peak LED's McKinley Hi-Power, its a 7 LED, 1 CR123 Battery Powered VERY VERY Cute Light... runtime should be about 5 hours (max) i guess....

They also have recently comeup with Steel Collection, Again its kool ones to.

I would also like to recommend the Oplec NuBeam, its a 3 LED MiniM@G Dropin, it runs for 10 hours with a good regulation, nice flood kind of light.

Oh.. I almost forgot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .... Hide Your Pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .... you will know why.. in a few days time.....

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
for you: Inova XO³ or Streamlight TL2 luxeon
your son: Streamlight 2L Tasklight sounds good
daughter: Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED (can't reccomend the X1 due to its nearly useless beam)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
X1 is so very specialized. NO spill. I cannot recommend it.

Otherwise, as long as you buy 123 batteries from Surefire or Battery Station (1.00 to 1.25 compared to the very best price I've found locally $3.99 each!) the TT2L is a great choice, as would probably be the TL2 Luxeon. Also any of the other Inova lights X or T (based on battery type - see below).

I still haven't got an Eled module for my UK4AA, but have read enough good about it to recommend it. This is based on my having the 4AA Xenon, which has a very nice form factor and size!

Also, the drop in modules for MiniM*gs are some outstanding lighting solutions. Go for a 3W if you can! I think the Sandwich Shoppe has a 3w (the Lambda 3W has a SERIOUS waiting list!).

The average 3W makes light SUPREMELY Whiter than the average 1W!!!

As an alternative you might go for an XO3 or a T3, but these lights are pretty tightly focused without much spill or corona. I find a reflector to be a MUCH better optic for me!

For the daughter you might also consider the PT Attitude. It runs 4AAA and is very small. It puts out light somewhat equal to the Opalec (when the batteries are fresh) but may not be as long running or stay bright as long as the very excellent Opalec Newbeam!

Also possibles are Streamlight Jr. Lux, and Pelican Mity Lite Plus LED (based on the excellent size and form of the Mity Lite - I have no idea about the quantity or quality of light!)

Welcome! and as you have already seen, your wallet and finances are DOOMED!!!

HEY! Just noticed you are in Houston! PM me about where and possible meet!

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I like the Inova's...except fot the X1...not a good "general purpose" light.

You might want to look at the Gerber Trio, a nice general purpose light that runs on readily available AA alkaline batteries.

JB

finebead

Newly Enlightened
Report back!

Thanks to all who responded! I looked at all the alternatives and you guys got me thinking. You had some very good ideas. I pass along my opinions on other forums (www.rimfirecentral.com) and am truly interested in what folks have done.

Well here's what I did.

I talked to 16 year old son, and he didn't even want a flashlight! He thinks I'm crazy for being interested in things that may be better than a Maglite!

I got myself an Inova T2, to get the knurling on the handle and better switch. I like it. Wife is impressed with the beam, not the price. But Santa already has me taken care of, unless she adds an annual shirt.

I got my 18 yr. old daughter a Gerber Infinity Ultra for her purse, for a stocking stuffer.

I mentioned high tech flashlights to a buddy at work who is 61. He has a boat, financially fixed pretty good, his wife works also, and pointed him at a website. He got an Inova T5, and an infrared for his son-in-law who is a Bobby in England (he said they use them to check holograms, maybe on credit cards or ids over there).

I'll be reading, just not buying too many (I hope). Maybe 16 year old will wise up in a couple of years.

Thanks again guys and gals, this seems like a nice communitiy.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Report back!

Yeah... I think the 2L TwinTask is an excellent overall light. Esp for someone that isn't 'into' lights.

If someone is interested in better lights, but not feeling a big desire to go with a high tech aluminum tactical type light, pretty much Princeton Tecs entire lineup is good. The original Impact is great but kinda chunky. Long runtime. The Surge is very chunky but will impress the heck out of anyone with it's beam and throw and isn't radically more expensive than a 2D Mag. Overall, they aren't neatest or coolest lights available, but very good for the money.