Warning light for night fishing kayaker

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
My brothers are into kayak fishing. They are wanting to try out some night kayak fishing and was wondering if anyone out there knows of a light small enough that could be mounted in some kind of homemade PVC stand that would flash to expose their kayak to others boaters in the area. It would have to have decent battery life, say 8 to 12 hours but battery type is un-important although the more compact the unit the better. I suppose white light would be great but I'm not sure what is best color that is used to get other boater's attention.

Any ideas?
CajunBabe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well this is a cheap option but big lots selling some nice flashing leds lighhts for bikes i think will work there quite bright

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are federal regulations establishing required lighting for watercraft in motion and at anchor. The regulations may vary to some degree for kayaks versus somewhat larger craft (sorry, I don't remember the specifics). However, websites related to recreational boating (U.S. Coast Guard for example) will provide these details.

And, lights can sometimes be great ways to attract fish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
I'm fairly sure the light has to be a steady, white. If it were red or green, they might be confused with the port (left-red) or starboard (right-green) running lights of a moving vessel. A flashing light could be used for vessels in distress, or might be confused by others as an aid to navigation, such as a buoy especially if red of green and flashing at a slow rate.

greenLED

Flashaholic
They'll probably need a high-intensity strobe (for increased safety and compliance with regulations -if any).

What's the visual range of those LED markers, Quickbeam. I'm under the impression they're relatively dim.

Deanster

Enlightened
The Navigation Rules are available here:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules.htm

However, they're pretty hard reading - the short version is that a vessel with paddles or oars is only required to have a flashlight or lantern that they show in adequate time to avoid collision.

If they do show a light, they need to show the same lights as a sailing or small power vessel - red and green side lights and a white stern light when underway, white all-around when anchored.

You can buy battery-powered lights with suction cups for kayaks, but they're just 2D flashlights with a divided red/green filter in the right shape - way better than nothing, but not great.

At the very least, I'd have a Pelican or other very narrow-beam flashlight on board, to display when a boat is in sight, an Inova 24/7 for a beacon, and something else (not quite sure what) for a white all-around light to keep on all the time.

Glo-Toob or similar isn't really bright enough - depending on where they are, they could have bass boats or other high-speed craft coming through, and they need at least a mile of clear visibility for safety... an underpowered Luxeon in some kind of all-around fitting would be good, but I don't know of any.

BTW - high-intensity Strobes are emergency beacons - and a user of this as a marker won't make any friends when somebody reports it and the Coast Guard Helicopter comes to rescue you...

JohnJ80

Enlightened
You will definitely need to follow the navigation rules of the road on lighting your kayak. If you do something different, you will probably attract boats to come your way in curiousity or because they think there might be a problem - that would be counterproductive to what you are trying to do.

The advice that you carry a bright hand held light to shine at approaching traffic is a good one and consistent with the marine lighting regulations if your boat is below (I think) 23' in length and unpowered (i.e. sail or rowed).

My recommendation though is to have the normal red and green bow light and a white stern light on a mast. You can check west marine at http://www.westmarine.com to find a removable light with a secure permanent mount. I believe they offer one that works with inflatable dinghies and would work well for you.

When you are anchored, you just need the white light on and when you are moving you need the bow and stern lights on. Because of the low profile of your boat, I would recommend that you stay off of any busy waterway at night and certainly out of traffic areas.

J

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"What's the visual range of those LED markers, Quickbeam. I'm under the impression they're relatively dim. "

Everything's relative! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It depends on how dark and other environmental conditions. On strobe they are very good attention getters. I wonder if the critics of the Glo-toob, above, have ever seen them in action in a dark environment.

Plus, if you're fishing in a small lake that is not very populated, staying near shore, a smaller light may be sufficient. A larger area with significant boat traffic warrants using larger, brighter lights.

Definitely follow regulations, but as a supplement for getting attention, the glo-toobs are quite effective.

davidra

Enlightened
Agree with the need to have routine lights. I keep a Marine Eternalight in my canoe for both interior lighting and signaling, but try and use a red LED when fishing to maintain night vision. An X5 or Infinity with red LED's works great for around the boat.

Deanster

Enlightened
Yep - I tried to just answer the question asked, but essentially I think kayaking after dark isn't the best idea most places.

Kayaks are low-profile, invisible to radar, easily lost in shadow, and can't move fast enough to evade. I'm both a Coast Guard licensed 100-ton captain, and an avid salt-water kayaker, but I try like heck to stay off the water after dark in kayaks- too many ways to end up a smear on someone hull paint for my toast, even if lit up with christmas lights.

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
Been out of town for a few days and finally got back to CPF. All I can say is WOW, you guys are great. I passed the info to my younger brothers and these posts have convinced them that they definitely have some regulations to look into. Depending on what they find, some of the lights recommended might fit the bill. I (we) appreciate all of the thoughtful insight and the light recommendations.

Thanks a bunch,
CajunBabe

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Deanster said. If you haven't had contact with the Coasties over a minor equipment violation, you don't know what you're missing.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years back, I was making a quick trip in my sailboat over to a service dock in Marina Del Rey to have the head pumped out, when a Coast Guard vessel came alongside and requested to board my boat for a "routine inspection". (Translation: they were looking for drugs). Anyhow, they appeared to also have some new recruits on board for "training", and used this opportunity to go through my 27 foot cutter with a fine toothed comb.

First question: "Do you have any weapons on board?" (I had a dive knife)

Second question: Could you please show us proof of current registration of your vessel? (I'd just bought the boat used, the registration was pending, and I had only a bill of sale)

Third question: Could you please demonstrate the function of your exterior lighting equipment? (It was all there and it all worked...fortunately)

Fourth question: Could you please show us the location and expiration date of your emergency signalling flares? (I actually couldn't remember where I stowed them but stumbled upon them in a cockpit locker just as they were whipping out their citation book!).

Morale: Be prepared to have your vessel thoroughly "inspected". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif