When a flashlight was just a flashlight?

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Ok for some of you that may take you back to your childhood, but at some point we all looked at a flashlight as just a flashlight.

Now its: How bright, to LED or not to LED, how far does it throw, I could go on and on but you know what I mean. Just a thought as I wait for the next latest and greatest light to come out.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dan,

A flashlight is still just a flashlight...

It's just that some are more sophisticated than others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DanM said:
Ok for some of you that may take you back to your childhood, but at some point we all looked at a flashlight as just a flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never again since I started reading CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Even up to when I started carrying my E1e+MN01, I looked at it as just a light, though a very nice one. After reading CPF, I think we would be remiss if we did not do a critical review of each light we're looking into buying, and when it arrives, mandatory testing to satisfy ourselves as to its performance characteristics is necessary.

The only time I can think of it as "just a flashlight" is when I'm using it, and I'm too involved in the task at hand to have time to think about 'what a sweet light' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to go back to the early 60's for when i flashlight was just a flashlight. I always have been facsinated with them.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had a common flashlight. My dad blessed me with a Big Beam 6-volt sealed beam light when I was young. The Big Beam started my secret love for a good flashlight.

Every other kid's light couldn't hold a candle next to my light. No light was impressive next to the Big Beam spotlight.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
they are just flashlights when you either break it or lose it and say.... oh well, no big deal I will just buy a better one.
If it was more than just a flashlight you would try to repair it and spend time trying to find it instead of just going to get another flashlight unless of course it was the only flashlight around at the time YIKES!

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
never since i found the led museum last year and CPF this year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

neg

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
For years I have had flashlights strewn all around the house. I never thought of myself as a collector or my flashlights as a collection. I just loved all kinds of flashlights. Then I found CPF. I gathered up lights I had accumulated from around the house for a week. I found them in drawers and on top of cabinets, in boxes. When I put them all in one place I was like "wow". Then I wanted more. I now find myself looking for the flashlight section of every store I go in. Usually I buy one before I leave. My wife thinks I'm nuts. My 9 year old son is into flashlight just like daddy. He recently had a birthday and told everyone invited to his party that he preferred flashlights as gifts. He and I really enjoy our flashlight obsession and I don't miss the boring days of just using flashlights when I needed to see something in the dark.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing happened to me, ContableScott.
Now it's CPF, BrightGuy, & Elektrolumens regularly.
Many $$$$ later spent on more better brighter neater flashlights I love the hobby/addiction. Got plenty of light here.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have always been a flashlight geek. I once mad a flashlight out of 2C cells 3 bulbs and two plastic paint can lids welded together with a soldering iron that had 4 switches on it. I had a wooden case I put a lantern battery and two D cell in with a 4 position switch running 3 different bulbs. As a kid we had a station wagon with extra seats in the back end and I broke a bulb and wired up a cable to run a box of lights and pulled the dome light apart to tap power off. I bought a portable cassette player and dad brought home 3 12v gel cells which I wired up voltage regulators to power 6-12v items including lights of course.
I guess in ways I was glad the led lights were not out then because my budget then was almost zero most of the time.

I have lights I play with, use constantly and lights that sit there with or without batteries I rarely use at all.
Some lights are tools, some are toys and some toys are tools which is the best of the lights. It is cool to whip out a light and it be the exact one you need making things easier and even saving the day.

When I get out from under a mountain of debt I figure on buying about 100.00 worth of lights and lanterns and that will do me unless I end up needing one I didn't think of buying. I plan on getting some to give away. I have given flashlights as presents many times over the years. The best thing about it is most people get things that they use or wear and have fun with for awhile then it is gone. A good flashlight they will use and use and use for a long time remembering the smart person that gave it to them.... ME
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
when I was growing up when my father couldn't figure out what to buy me he got me tools. At the time I kinda said... umm... ok... whatever. Now I have tools for most things.

loan someone a flashlight they are out of the dark, give them a flashlight and they will help others out of the dark.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm another who had a fair number of lights, and was always improving them one way or another.

Then I found CPF and it was all over!

Right now, this minute... I think I have the best flashlight.

It's a scarred and battered blue minim*g that a US Army Ranger carried. Loaded with a Lambda 3W High Dome pill with modded mm reflector and a Kroll on the tail.

But it ain't over by a looooong shot!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DanM said:

Now its: How bright, to LED or not to LED, how far does it throw, I could go on and on but you know what I mean. Just a thought as I wait for the next latest and greatest light to come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that's exactly what made me a Flasholic. Plain ole crappy flashlights, they were never good enough and I knew they could be better.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I can remember camping out every weekend as a teenager and thinking lights were just lights.I would load up on some batteries and buy a cheap plastic light to get by with.Then I later moved up to a propane lantern and forgot lights for many years....Skip ahead many years and when starting my career as an officer I remember thinking that the rechargeable Mag was the way to go as many carried these.I was amazed at the cost and began to look around for something cheaper and smaller.I quickly realized that light was important to my work as I work night shift.I also even faster realized that you get what you pay for and a quality light could easy go over a hundred bucks.
I was able to get a Stinger and noticed many of the younger officers were using these however some die hard veterans still preferred the Mag.In time the smaller and brighter craze began to take over and I then knew that a duty light was much more than just a flashlight...much more than those plastic things I used to take camping.
I now have no problem spending money on a decent light.I consider them as a tool for work and one that may even save my butt one night.I have much more lights now than I will ever use and I still want more.I have at least 2 on me each night on duty and they have never let me down.I use a Surefire as a main light and a trusty ARC(by LitFuse)as a back up....Yes I have came a long way since the day of when a flashlight was just a flashlight...I think we all have.I mean look at us here...we have an entire forum for just lights and we thrive on it.Some use this as a valuable resource and some for just fun however I am way past thinking of lights as just simple flashlights....I remember reading this forum for some time before joining and learning how everyone here would caution new members to the addiction.I thought I would get some quick advice on the new LED lights and that I would never be addicted to a silly flashlight hobby....man did I ever get suckered in.I never saw it coming and now realize that it probably will never change...hehe we all may need some therapy.

B@rt

Flashaholic
therapy.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, is that why my Surefires always come with so much bubble wrap?

But that means I have to buy more lights to get more bubble wrap.. hmmm.... maybe that's therapy in and as of itself... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I can't afford therapy. I'm saving my money for a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif