Aleph or Nuwai Q-III?

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
If you were to pick out a flashlight in this category (3 - 4" -> 3Watt light) which would you pick? The Nuwai Quantum-III or the Aleph 2? I need to get one for EDC and I'm looking for some opinions to sway me one way or another.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were to pick one and I wasn't concerned about the price difference and wasn't afraid to loose or damage a light as nice as the aleph 2, this would clearly be my choice.

To me the only real advantage to the q3 is that it is much less expensive and I wouldn't be as bummed if I lost it. The aleph 2 has so much more to offer that it's not really fair to compare the two lights. Modularity, upgradeability, tritium, multiple brightness settings , tail stand , hard ano, most likely a superior bin led, custom designed reflector....

But, get two, one to take into the trenches, one to sit on a shelf and look pretty. Or don't , get only the q3 and use the crap out of it and then replace it with something better next year....

Catman10

Enlightened
I would have to say to go with the Aleph. Much better light in about every category except for price. Even if you end up damaging it, you can simply replace the part you damaged without having to get a new light.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
If price wasn't a factor, I'll pick the Aleph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's modular and versatile, replacement parts are not a problem either. Build quality should be superior to the Q-III as well.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lumenous said:
If you were to pick out a flashlight in this category (3 - 4" -> 3Watt light) which would you pick? The Nuwai Quantum-III or the Aleph 2? I need to get one for EDC and I'm looking for some opinions to sway me one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like comparing a SureFire with a Dorcy - they're in two completely different categories as far as standards go. Here's how it breaks down, IMO:

Nuwai Q-III:
Pros: Cheap, has a reflector, small, simple to operate, good feel in the hand.

Cons: Clicky switch, slightly off-center light, the Luxeon Lottery may mean you get a L-binned light which will cut out after an hour's use, not very configurable or modable without some effort.

Aleph:
Pros: Very modifiable, very compact in the Aleph 2/1x123 form, very good tint and brightness on LEDs, two-stage momentary switch with twist-on functionality, lots of accessories, can build your own.

Cons: Pricey, accessories can cost quite a bit of money, building your own means buying parts and doing your own soldering, some of the earlier Mc2Es switches had burrs which had to be filed down to ensure smooth operation.

Basically, if you've the money and want to tinker with your light, and get a very good tint out of the box... go Aleph. Otherwise, if you want cheaper but decently bright and are willing to risk the lottery, go with the Quantum.

I personally carry both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
depends on what you want .... want the best --> get the Aleph ... this light is a clear winner due to the numerous reasons already stated.
The only way to keep me from choosing the Aleph would be if I couldn't afford it.
bernhard

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aleph, again unless you're concerned about losing it. You could buy both, and then give me the one you dont like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Aleph of course! Some of the money you would spend would end up in my pocket! What bias?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
That new CPF Supporter icon suits you to a T, man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still, it comes down to 'how much are you willing to part with, one way or another'? It really IS like comparing McDonald's with a 5-star restaurant, as far as what you get out of it. Or maybe more the comparison between a used Ford Pinto and a Porsche? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif