*UPDATED* I said goodbye to my TW4 (E1e/KL4 combo)

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some idle time on my hands so I thought I'd see if I could put an Aleph LE to good use. I usually EDC a modded KL4 on an E1e body, but after reading a posted suggestion by McGizmo, I gave it a shot.

I took my E1e head. I drilled it out just big enough to accommodate an SO17XA reflector. I then chased the threads with a 13/16-20 bottoming tap (mine's ground to go all the way to the bottom). I chased the threads all the way until the tap stopped.

I then assembled an LE with a BadBoy700 and topped it off with a TX1J luxeon.

All I can say is, "goodbye TW4."

The pics speak for themselves...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I was even able to use the stock lens. The body is one of jcciv's Vital Gear single cell bodies.

Well, I was going to EDC this thing and I just decided that it wasn't anywhere near finished. As I think I mentioned someplace, I removed the 17mm IMS reflector. That reflector is very good for applications that limit you to its use, but in this case, I turned down a McR27 and fit it into the head of the E1e. After having done this, it turned out that the E1e head was too long for the light engine to make electrical contact with the body, so I faced about 3/16" off of the back of the E1e head. While I was at it, I took off the hex part as well. I then stripped the anodizing off of the remaining parts of the head and the Vital Gear body; however, I took a shot at leaving the tailcap anodized to see how it looked.

Here are the results...

picture.JPG

On the left is an E1e with the bezel ring removed. I just didn't have another, but I used a shim to raise it to the approximate height that it would have been had the bezel ring been installed. On the right is where I am now.

picture.JPG

I think it's a good lookin' light, in the buff like that. I also think that the anodized tailcap makes for a nice contrast.

picture.JPG

This pic shows some of the flaws in the finish of the light. The bezel ring was all beat up when I started and I didn't want to remove any more material.

picture.JPG

And the beam shot. This was taken 20' from a white wall. This baby is now more that just a medium range light.

Thanks for looking.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I said goodbye to my TW4 (E1e/KL4 combo)

Were you using that KL4 bezel to drive some nails? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Nice job on the mod- looks like a keeper for EDC!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fitz,

I actually use it to open non twist off beer bottles. I drink Dos Equis and am too lazy to go find an opener. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gotta love things that multitask!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

you had some 'idle time'? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I hope my nekkid KL1 is on it's way back to me then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

More uses for the Aleph LE then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif But you lose the 2-stage ability with the VG FB1 body though.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Fitz,

I actually use it to open non twist off beer bottles. I drink Dos Equis and am too lazy to go find an opener. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was at a party earlier this year and we were trying to open bottles of Corona with a window sill because nobody had anything remotely useful. I had an E1e (MN01) with me but even the THOUGHT of defiling my precious light did not occur to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Now I carry a SAK.. with bottle opener. It's on the same ring as the light.

Hey hey, don't knock Corona. PK drinks it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Patent 654715 on the E1e body is actually, of all things, for the clip. Who knows, maybe we can get him to add another patent number when he invents the upgraded clip/integral bottle opener on the E1e Special Edition: the E1e BeerLight! (edit:) the sick part is that I just took my E1e and tried - if the clip was made to be slightly bigger and tougher, it might actually work.

(can I get that one in beer color?)

jcciv

Newly Enlightened

Very Nice!! I want one. How much?....PM Sent!!

G Pilot

Enlightened

Very cool Chop and a good idea....here is the one I did a while ago. I used an E-sink BB650 and LuxIII. The reflector is out of a Priceton Tec Attitude. I have seen someone else here scavenge from Princeton Tec. The felector fits perfect in an E1 head that has been totally drilled out. It gives a great beam because of the texture.

Enjoy

p1010084.jpg

p1010085.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I re-did the mod that I posted above. I re-bored the head for a 20mm reflector and all I can say is, "MUCH BETTER." It turns out that the E heads are good hosts for the 20mm reflectors.

This is going to be my EDC until my Aleph II gets built. I have to wait in line behind all of the mods that I have to do. LOL.

oldeng95

Enlightened

chop I cant tell by the picture, but it looks like jcciv's Vital Gear single cell bodies have a clickie on the end. Am I seeing that right, or is it twisting only
PAUL

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

That is indeed a clickie, although it really doesn't click. Not much of a tactile feel to it. It's really SMOOTH. I like it a lot.

The whole rig is a tad under 3" long. I'm thinking of turning the hex shape off of the head to make it completely round and more pocket friendly.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlight,

Your KL1 went out on Tuesday.

oldeng95

Enlightened

where can i possibly pick up one of those jcciv's Vital Gear single cell bodies??? and for how much?
It would still work on a kl4 I take it

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

jcciv may be running a thread someplace, but I can't find it. Just PM him. It worked with my KL4 head. I think they are in the $35 range, but I'm not sure.