A2 Owners... Long-term impressions wanted...

Steve C

Enlightened
I'm looking for opinions from you guys who have stuck with your A2. I know a lot of folks dumped theirs after the initial hype, because they were not satisfied in one way or another.

Right now, I EDC an ARC AAA and an E2E. Just wondering if the A2 would be a viable replacement for these two.

pyro

Enlightened
I like mine alot!
Low beam is just about right for close up work and walking,
the Xenon Lamp for throw when you need it.
in fact i don´t use it alot, so the shorter battery life is
no biggie.
The only thing I don´t like is the big difference in color
temperature, high beam looks very yellow after using the
LEDs for some time and the eyes are adapted to the bluish
light

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is one of the most amazing flashlights ever created (IMHO).

Regulated incandescent light and LED light with a two-stage switch. It is so useful, for so long on each pair of SF123As. It's beautifully proportioned both in balance in use and in looks. It rides excellently clipped inside my pocket.

I've put well over 40 pairs of SF123A's through the A2. I recently replaced the bulb because deposits had started to build up and I didn't want it to fail in service. The replacement bulb's output was identical - very white. Very impressive. I moved my EDC from the A2 to the L4 I believe. I now use the L2 a lot - I really like the two-stage switch.

I now have three A2's.

Al

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The A2 is a great upgrade from the E2e.

I EDCed a A2 for about a year. The A2 replaced my E2e, but I still carry my ARC AAA.

I prefer the A2 and L4 to the E2e.

The A2 for use with primary cells and the L4 for use with Pilas.

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
Despite the plethora of newer lights, the A2 is still one of the most versatile, reliable, consistant and useful flashlights around.
The regulated incandescent MA02 offers the advantage of decent throw while returning a margin of true color w/good penetration through smoke, mist, etc. While the three LED's provide nice reliable wide angle task lighting.
Its the perfect flashlight IMO.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a year old. I still EDC it whenever I have the space. (Its tough in a jeans and Tshirt!) Always works, still on first bulb! Probably 10 sets of batteries thru it.

My Brother-in-Law has EDC's his in Baghdad since February. no breaks, same bulb, twice as many batteries as me. If it stands up in combat and transportation for the military, most of us won't break it!

A tough, tough, unique light.

Bill

Mark2

Enlightened
Same here, still the best EDC in my opinion. Mine also still uses the first lamp. This is a classic.

K-T

*Moderator*
I thought about what to write about the A2 except for what has already been said above - nothing came to my mind.

The incandescent light with its regulation is excellent, as has been said, due to the LED's lots of batteries are saved as most of the time these little LED's are sufficient. I have carried the A2 for atleast a year constantly and never had a problem with it - a very impressive light.

So I agree with what everybody else said.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Had one. Didn't like it. Gave it away to a friend. But in all fairness, I was looking for a lot more power out of the red LEDs for night navigation, and the A2 just wouldn't cut it. The high incandescent mode was indeed impressive for pure white, flawless throw, but I had to have the night navigation aspect. If I didn't need that so badly, I think that this would be a perfect multi-level light in white LED (however, you would have to be willing to suffer the triple ring artifacts in the LED/low setting). In it's place, I now use the L2 for Utility and the L1-RD for my night navigation needs. Both problems now solved but it took two lights to do it. I'm going to replace the L2 with the U2 for Utility purposes in the near future.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite flashlights, If I were to only have 1 flashlight, this would be it. Long burning LEDs and a bright incandescent with throwing power handle all my lighting needs. Mine is also on the first lamp, about 6 sets of batteries through it.

BTW, does anyone know if the lanyard that comes with the SC3 is the same as the one that comes on the A2?

knifebright

Enlightened
I have to say my a2 is also my favorite light. If I had to rid of all my lights and only keep one it would be the a2. The regulated incan is amazing. always white always at full power. The led's are great for most tasks and the incan throws very well for a small reflector. and yes the lanyard from the sc3 is the same as the a2 lanyard except it doesnt' come with the attachment ring.
jimmy

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Steve,
I own two A2s and, even if I do not EDC, it is a marvellous piece of engineering and the best incandscent ever produced.
I believe the only problem with the A2 on CPF is the fact that it is relegated to the "hybrids" tread, so if you are like me, and visit mainly Incandescent, LED, and General (now that Arc is gone) there is not much to read about A2s.
Just my 0.02 €

Anthony

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks a ton, guys. I have a borrowed one to check out. I'm almost convinced , but I need to try it in my back-yard "test chamber" tonight... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was concerned that it would be too long for my method of carry (clipped to a custom ankle holster originally made for an A.G. Russell boot knife, and secured with a velcro strap), but the placement of the clip makes it sit just right. I've worn it all afternoon and forgot it was there.

Hoghead, you're right; I'll still carry the ARC AAA. Dunno what I was thinking....

I just read about ARC's demise. What a shame. Glad I've got a NIB spare AAA...

turbodog

Flashaholic
Hope the person I sold mine to doesn't read this!

Anyway... I agree the a2 is unique. It fills a special notch for typical surefire users. I put about 10-15 sets of batteries through mine during the 6? months I had it.

I was very disappointed with the runtime on the main bulb. I was getting about 40 minutes or so before it dropped out of regulation.

I do like the beam better that my e1e and e2e. Their beam is too tight and the different from the hotpost to the fringe is too great.

But, when I compare it to my L4. I knew it was time to sell the A2. The L4 with a 2 stage tailcap it the A2, version2. All of its strengths and none of the weaknesses. The L4 would outthrow the A2 also.... THAT was what really sold me. Also, the L4 gets an hour and 15 minutes on a set of batteries.

Good light, but there is better for the same price.

Steve C

Enlightened
<<...better for the same price...>>

How so? From what I've seen, the L4 is only about $20 less, and you're talking about adding some aftermarket goodies, yes?

Please, explain further, with details. I've got an open mind on this.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, this thread has given me an "aha! What a dope I've been" moment. Yes, those moments are happening more and more frequently these days, much to my chagrin.

I've been using my Photon Freedom around the house a lot. I'd sworn off Photons due to hating to buy coin cells, but bought this one with the idea that: it's got several levels, and since I'll normally use a low level, it'll be centuries before I need to replace the battery. It's turning out to be exactly as expected -- of the 9ish levels, I'm normally at 5 or below.

Philosophically, it's always bothered me that you only get 40 minutes of incandescent with the A2. On the other hand, with LEDs on the same light, I'd bet I wouldn't be using the incandescent very often. The A2 is probably a great fit for me.

Unfortunately, this realization comes too late. I'm guessing that by the way things are going, by a year from now, we'll have luxeon lights that are as bright and have just as much throw as the A2, with multiple levels. No reason to buy a hybrid today, when an LED will be able to do it all tomorrow.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Steve C, check out the L4 with Mcgizmo's 2 stage tailcap. Go to the Mcgizmo forum here on CPF for more info and ordering details.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I was one of the early "I don't want anything to do with the A2" people. I've long since changed my opinion. The A2 is a great light for what it does, however I never considered it an EDC. It's just to big for my defination of an EDC. I still have (2) of them in my collection that I use from time to time.