BlackShadow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slash And Burn - NOW SEE VIDEO...

Default Slash And Burn - NOW SEE VIDEO...

THERE IS NOW AN MPEG VIDEO -- SEE POST ON NEXT PAGE

I got the Tool Logic SL-1 LED Knives in, and must say that it is a very high quality item. The blade is sharp, it is made in Seki City, Japan (same place Spyderco contracts to have most of their knives made), and the biggest thing -- the LED is bright. I had some worries after ordering these because then someone posted they found one in an Army Surplus store (? These things just came out this month...) and said it was dim. I am happy to report that this knife's LED light is BRIGHTER than my Photon II (with new batteries), and has a more tightly focused, yet bigger, center hotspot than the Photon. It also easily dominates my FreeLight (Photon left, FreeLight right):

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LwBpZT4PLVNntc8Qae5O7adOjNc8aOZAE4YiJ9a3xK1Q*I!yK 83YszliH5tRKgqX0k9Ifbwnq6I/SL-1-beam.jpg[/img]

It comes in a nice metal form-fitting foam-lined gift box:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LwC2ClsPZVdntc8Qae5O7bZx01uvdvlfBCZaEolGPOl1zic9* QLqgLWyQ2uOx!STdAhiUul7dEA/SL-1-open.jpg[/img]

And upon close inspection, this excellent product reeks of quality:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LwAAAFEP31Vntc8Qae5O7YY2Zs1MPF8Uac6Vn6Uv*FAaYwXhD HoU1eSov!4bd9h107!dBmGOYAw/SL-1-clip.jpg[/img]

Now my keychain can swing more lightly, free of the keychain light and small knife I used to hitch on it...

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Slash And Burn - NOW SEE VIDEO...

I was the one that posted that the version I examined a couple weeks or so ago had a dim LED--significantly dimmer than my 3+ year old Photon II. I would advise care in purchasing this product, however I'm very pleased that Mr. Bulk's versions are clearly so bright.

sotto,

Thanks for clarifying, I tested the lights on all five (I had to attain a minimum order) and they were identical. The light is a twist-on, and I'm thinking mebbe someone accidentally left it turned on, could have been left that way for days...

Cool Daddy Administrator

Standing by for package arrival, Mr. Bulk! This'll actually be the closest thing I have to a *real* knife. Might not be my first flashlight, however.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

MIGHT not?

First knife huh? Hey, then please practice the one-hand opening/closing routine before you get fancy when showing it to friends. In fact I loosened the pivot screw on mine just now and can flick the blade open with only a little wrist action, just like my Spydercos. Looks cool to do, although not if you bleed after...

Mr Bulk,

Thanks for the review. I have been rather curious about these. What sort of batteries does it use??

Thanks,
    Danny

RG,

It uses four button cells...

I be in trouble now -- it occurred to me that there is a waterproof compartment behind the LED, so I took it out.

Two things immediately came to mind.

First, the LED that comes with it is quite short, thus creating the waterproof compartment behind (note the o-ring around end of light, it's what seals the compartment). And second, the sleeve could be bored out slightly to take a different kind of LED, like the MicroMagLite LED mod (see below) or Arc AAA, etc. This product is getting cooler by the moment (and I'll have to buy yet ANOTHER Arc, the AAA):

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0NgAAAKARj8Zntc8Qae5O7TmIuUVOgm7TZS6lJ75ohKZeb1Tqq P*0i3kVSRtjk*UaEWzVFgXolhj2Xv7ifhfwiQ/SL-1-light-out.jpg[/img]

Mr B.,
    You said you had to do a min of 5 order. Do you have extras you need to get rid of?? TX

Naw, they were pretty much all spoken for. I think TTT offers'em for $26.99 plus shipping which is a really good price (retail is $40), aren't they right around the corner from you? You'd save on the shipping...

Cool Daddy Administrator

Oh... late to the party with my info. Thought I had the scoop. Find there here: TTS slash/burn

Mr. Bulk,
    It would appear that the blade is non locking. Can you confirm? Also, are the screws strongly magnetic?

Mahalo

I like this, I wonder what the light looks like when removed.

Ken

KenB, there's a pic of it removed about five posts above yours.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
    Mr. Bulk,
    It would appear that the blade is non locking. Can you confirm? Also, are the screws strongly magnetic?

Mahalo
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

The knife has a liner lock mechanism. As for the screws, they do not appear to be magnetic -- how should I check?

Ah yes, thanks Mr Bulk. My internet connection has been slow for some reason lately. Had to wait for the pic`s to come in...looks nice!

Ken

Yes the light is really short (4 button cells) but if one drills out (widens) the compartment behind it, that would add another inch. The OD of the light is approximately .475" and the Arc AAA is exactly .50" and about an inch longer, wonder if there'd be room...

After some judicious adjusting and lubing of the knife's pivot point, I found it has become a virtual switchblade. I recorded a short MPEG video of this in action, and any who wish to see it can e-mail me for the MPEG attachment (warning -- file is pretty large, about 475 KB, not meant for the Faint Of Computer)...

Mr B & darell,
    Thanks for the lead on TTS. I visit his site regularly, but never saw this item. I have a PT lamp on BO with him. I'll just have him ship me one of these at the same time. Even if I don't keep it, it would make a good gift. TX

Cool Daddy Administrator

Yeah, I was happy (and surprised!) to see them offered there. William always seems to surprise me. Unfortunately, the other surprise was that there were no Arc AAA's listed there [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think when William runs out of something, he takes it off his site. Then when he gets the item in, he adds it back. TX

txwest,

I got your e-mail -- did you ever get my reply?

Cool Daddy Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
    I think when William runs out of something, he takes it off his site. Then when he gets the item in, he adds it back. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yup. And they're back... v3.1

Just a little ditty I thought up:

By day I play with knives, and I have way more than one
    By night I play with flashlights, in the absence of the sun
    But now I have a new toy, and it gives me much more fun
    It brings the best of both worlds, and itís called...the SL-1 !

Mwahahahahaha (maniacal peals of laughter from a confirmed flash- and knife-aholic)!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
    I got your e-mail -- did you ever get my reply?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No I didn't, Mr Longfellow. Seems we had the same problem with another light I bought from you. (or was that someone else & some other light? They all start to run together after awhile) Anyway, don't worry about the MPEG. I put one on order with TTS. I own about 30 one handers, so I know how they work. (I like BM's axis lock best) TX

"Mr. Longfellow". Hmmm...that's what she said last nigh -- NEVERMIND. Yeah it is indeed a mystery, this e-mail problem. Have you experienced anything similar with anyone else's e-mail?

I did have a similar problem once, months ago, with a person who had WebTV, but that was the only one that I can recall. Strange.

As for the MPEG, I open the knife without touching the blade at all...wish I could show it to you.

Anyone know of any free website hosts allowing motion GIFs or MPEGs?

When I was trying to buy a light from G Pilot, we had to comunicate on CPF because none of his emails got to me. I'm useing Roadrunner. Don't know if that could be the problem. TX

Cool Daddy Administrator

Ah. So *you're* the one sucking up all the bandwidth...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
    When I was trying to buy a light from G Pilot, we had to comunicate on CPF because none of his emails got to me. I'm useing Roadrunner. Don't know if that could be the problem. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hay TX, I'M using RoadRunner, too! Why don't you get one of those custom RoadRunner e-mail addys? They're free, included with the cost of the service, and you don't have to go through HotMail and login, etc. My e-mail is always on and I know immediately when I receive a message. It's almost like Instant Messager, which is why I don't use that.

Guess I should look into it. I've never even been to Roadrunners home page (if they have one). I'll see what I can find out. I wouldn't even know my pass word, if I have one. TX