How to open kl4 head

External

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just got my first Surefire flashlight - L4.
But there is seem to be a small cosmetic problem with the l4 head.

The O-ring that holds the glass does not sit well and stick out towards the reflector at one side. also, the led doesn't sit in the middle of the reflector.

As far as I can see, this DOES NOT affect the beam, but it doesn't look so good.

I would appreciate of someone could tell me how to open the upper part of the head so I can place the O-ring in the right place.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

AW

Newly Enlightened
I want to know also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
I was just doing a search in the mod section and read about nail polish remover. I havent tried it yet but they say it works great and efortlessly.
My girlfriends on her way over with some now, can't wait to try it on my L1 head...
I read to soak it for a few seconds to a minute bezel down and it should twist off by hand. Then you can use a toothpick to clean the threads of the old loctite.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
oh yeah. this might be very important too. use the non acetone stuff. Then I would also be sure to clean it thoroughly after wards too.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I've modded LOTS of KL4's, and I just want to give you a word of caution. Using nail polish remover does work. Hell, I use acetone. It works REALLY well.

What you have to understand before you go monkeying around with your KL4 is this. The reflector is an integral part of the head. It is NOT replaceable. If you screw it up, it's gonna be time to get a new KL4. If your gasket is as you say it is, the nail polish may get into the head. You also have to consider that the inside of the lens is coated. If you mess up this coating, you're gonna hate yourself. I always take the safe way out. I use a vice with protected jaws and apply heat with a heat gun (not a hair dryer) and use a strap wrench. Of course, there are those KL4's that came from Surefire that weren't sealed as well as others and you may be able to remove you bezel ring by hand.

Removing the bezel ring will not allow you to adjust the position of the emitter. I mean, you may be able to slide it around a tiny bit, but again, you risk damaging the reflector doing this from the bezel end. You also risk breaking one of the leads on the emitter.

To really get to the emitter, you'll need to separate the head in the center. I wouldn't even bother removing the bezel ring. Just be careful. If you break a connection or something, you're gonna be sending it to someone like me to fix it.

I guess what I'm saying is that, an off center emitter with a reflector doesn't affect the beam. I'd leave it alone. Centering the emitter isn't worth all of the dust particles that are going to find their way into the reflector area either. And you CAN'T clean those out either. Never try to clean a reflector. Some say that you can use a lens brush, but it could leave brush stroke marks on the refelctor. The reflector coating is VERY delicate.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Send the head back to SureFire. That way no warranty issues, and they fix. Email them ahead of time.

Bill

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

The warranty has been voided on all of my Surefires. I didn't even think of warranty work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Kiu

Enlightened
Sam,

I just use a rubber belt(1/2" width) to hold the two section of the bezel & then screw it out by hand. You may heat up bezel to soften or weaken the screw's adhesive in some case. It is the simplest way for me to opened a couple of SF's head with no damage.

But I also wouldn't suggest you to dissaembly the head if it's only the cosmetic problems.

arwin

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, you said the pyrex lens of the l4 is coated, but what happens if you screw it up? what will happen to the beam?