Osram Lamps?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, again;
Can someone here define what constitutes an "Osram" type bulb? I'm asking bcos I have had to replace the bulb in my Docter midi-125 pocket flashlite, and it says Osram-(the replacement lamp I got from Radio Shack [#272-1189] is labled that way and also HPR50.) This lamp, I had always thought of as just a "halogen" lamp.
confused.gif

Curiosity dept.: why is the Radio Shack pocket fluorescent light [#61853 IN THE U.S.] sold in the UK (per Chris M.) ALSO labled as an Osram light?
-Can someone enlighten me a bit?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OSRAM is a German-origin manufacturer of electric lamps- just like GE, Philips and Sylvania. Actually, Sylvania merged with Osram (in the US) to form Osram-Sylvania, it`s a bit complicated and I`ve had one too many beers tonight so am in no position to go look up the exact details of what went on.

Probably, only the Osram company make the correct replacement lamps for Docter lights. If there`s another, eg made by Philips, which has the identical ratings and dimentions to the Osram-made variant, then it should be perfectly adequate, but the Osram HPR50 is the one Docter chose to use, and the one they reccomend as a replacement. Being a German company, it sort-of makes sense.

As to why my Dulux Mini is labelled Osram, but yours is Radio-Shack, well I expect Osram (or whoever makes them for Osram) supply them to Radio-Shack in sufficient quantities that they are happy to print them Radio-Shack. I expect many RS branded goods are actually made by other companies and just get stamped Radio Shack, on request and maybe at extra cost.

There`s a lot of complicated goings-on in the lamp industry, as regards who`s who, who bought out who, who sells under what name, who makes what for who, etc....
shocked.gif

My mate JDH would know but he rarely has time to drop by here, let alone sit down and explain it. It`s really only interesting to us Bulb Anoraks
grin.gif
. All you really need to know is that Osram is just a company name.

tongue.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Can someone here define what constitutes an "Osram" type bulb?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Chris mentioned, Osram is a manufacturer. Some other companies make a big deal out of their bulbs (Argon, Krypton or whatever). These small Osram bulbs are Xenon halogen (like SureFire) all the time. But in your case you need IMHO a bulb with a 'vertical' filament, which is not very common (also the 12V 5W bicycle bulb is similar).

You may try any halogene bulb rated for 4 AAs as long as it is 0.5A or below. Maybe you get a nice beam, maybe not....

And the pocket fluorescent lights are OSRAM, they later appeared with other brands printed on them (as usual with many products).

he name OSRAM is made out of Osmium and 'Wolfram' the German name for tungsten. As we all know, bulb filaments are usually made out of these metals.

Also their light-encyclopedia is well worth to read. And also their other data available at their website is very interesting.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
OSRAM is a German-origin manufacturer of electric lamps- just like GE, Philips and Sylvania.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Philips is a Dutch company.

Greetings,
Velcro

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt about that! And they bring us (together with others) The Luxeon LEDs!

And BTW: Osram just sued Nichia for patent infringement on white LEDs (todays afternoons message).

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course
smile.gif
Actually I didn`t come accross that clear in what I said- (maybe the beer did scramble my mind a bit?)- all I meant was that Osram is a lamp manufacturer like Philips, GE and Sylvania. GE is American in origin and I believe Sylvania is either French or Belgian, but that may just be me getting confused
tongue.gif
Someone correct me if they know.

rolleyes.gif

NightShift

Enlightened
Osram...that is featured in a big yellow outburst sticker on my Pilot Fog Lights..."H3 Osram Bulb"...i've also wondered exactly what an "osram" bulb was and how it was different than regular halogens. If its just a manufacturer...whats so special about it to be advertised like that?
rolleyes.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NightShift:
Osram...that is featured in a big yellow outburst sticker on my Pilot Fog Lights..."H3 Osram Bulb"...i've also wondered exactly what an "osram" bulb was and how it was different than regular halogens. If its just a manufacturer...whats so special about it to be advertised like that?
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just a brand name, and Osram wants to make it as familiar as possible to the lucrative American market. I have halogen lamps, on General Electric cards, (packaging) that are stamped 'Osram'. Obviosly, these lamps weren't made by GE, they were made by Osram. In general, Osram makes some of the best halogen lamps in the world; the best very high output halogen lamps for microscopes are made by Osram; I've use other brands that are rated the same, but they simply aren't as white, bright, nor last as long. Think of running one of your high output flashlights 3 or 4 hours every day. The quality of the bulb then becomes more important, and the cost factor may actually be less per hour of burn time than a 'cheaper' lamp.
cool.gif