Now I need engine help!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Actually Diesel (International 7.3 Non Turbo) Engine.

For about a week, starting has gotten progressively worse. What will happen, is it will start for a second or two, then die. Usually a lot of cranking will get it to start, and usually it never does it again that day. Often the cranking gets a fine white mist coming out the exhaust, followed by a black POOF as it starts.

I figured it was a fuel issue. But if I press the bleeder valve on the fuel filter while cranking, I don't get air. I get fuel (which is collecting on top of my engine).

I was told by a buddy at the parts house that I had a glow plug issue. I checked them all, and replaced a dead one. I get a wait to start light that lasts a decent amount of time (and the battery gauge shows a good draw of current).

I got told by Mitch (the shop that will likely get the truck Monday) that the glow plug relay might be the cause, but the glow plug relay does it's clicking bit with the gauge jumping with each click.

I tried to start it a while ago, got the second or two then die thing, then with cranking at least twice as long as before, no start. This also includes spraying WD40 down the intake pipe because Diesels supposedly see that the way gas engines see ether. Not even a peep. And I noticed no white mist at the exhaust pipe either.

Holy Crap, do I have an injection pump problem?

It would seem at this point that it is going to need a road call or a tow to a shop. But I sure wish I could concieve of SOME reason it won't start!

Any gurus care to spout some good advice?

Brock

Flashaholic
So how does it run once it's warmed up, same as normal, same power?

I don't think it's the injectors because they usually cause issues under more load not a light load like idling. Unless of course they are really plugged.

I doubt it's glow plugs since I can start mine with no plugs at all, it doesn't like it but it does work, unless it's really cold out.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Fuel pump maybe?

Are you doing anything different with fuel, same fillup place as usual?

I hate to say it but I have heard gas in a diesel can cause white smoke, hopefully that's not it.

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
It sounds like your injector pump timeing is off or not supplieng enough fuel my 0.2
do you have a water seperator?
also the white puff have you got a wiff of it?
Also have you looked at your coolant is there a oil sheen at all? and look at your oil from the dip stick look nice and black?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It runs just as well as ever after it does start. It actually feels better since it's cooled off a bit around here.

After the no start incident earlier tonight, I got a brain storm (hurricane?) to puff some Propane down the intake tube. I did, and then it lit right off. I don't know if the propane was THE answer since I had cranked for so long prior tonight.

I don't really suspect fuel filter, pump or condition since it does act fine after warmup.

Mitch is aware of it (he's at the Pasadena Rodeo where my Dad is) and said bring it on.

I'll know when I try to start tomorrow.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Playboy Joe
I'm not a Diesel guy, but it sounds like fuel is building up in the engine and exhaust and then iginting. That makes me think it's a glow plug issue (or controlling circuitry). Two more factors: has the weather cooled off recently and could it be a load of bad fuel?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Propane seems to be the magic elixer...

After a vroom... die, I puffed some propane into the intake hose. Vroom v v die. Crank it again with a puff every now and then and after 5 -7 seconds it runs like always.

So it seems that there is "spark" if you will (hot glow plugs) and that I have a fuel issue of some sort.

I lean towards a bad check valve or some such, because before I learned when to get more fuel, I ran out sometimes, and the restart procedure was very similar...

It seems that once it gets "prime" after a loong period (overnight) it is happy once again.

I kinda see the fuel tanks being pulled...

Anyhow, propane beats the tar out of WD40 as a starting aid! LOTS less wear and tear on the starter and batteries!

It has cooled off a smidgen. Gets in the 50's overnight, 80's daytime.

I only get fuel at two places. A Diamond Shamrock near home, and a Flying J Plaza (where they sell the HE77 out of diesel!). The last fillup was at FJ. I don't see fuel quality as an issue, nor apparently quantity. Since the truck does run well after "priming".

I will get the official Mitch position probably Tuesday AM (after it sits overnight for him).

I will report back!

One last thought... About a year ago I had a glow plug problem. One plug on the right bank was dead, and another on that side was unplugged. The difference then was, no first start/die. Just a lot of cranking and starting on the left bank and running crappy until the right side picked up. It runs fine for a second or two now. So I don't see GP as the same sort of issue as last year.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive own and used a few vw diesel cars. My first was a dasher diesel that got 49mpg and last was a golf diesel vw.

Anyway, you had to wait for the glow plug light and pull out a lever to start it. When it was cold out it took longer and at times it would crank and slowly catch than starting right off. Somtimes had to start it twice before it would stay running or idle.

Then as the glow plugs fail it would act the same in luke warm weather. Once it was started it would restart ok, but if it cooled down it would repeat. Now, had the top side of the injector pump go bad. Same symptons as bad glow plugs put it would also occur in hot weather if the car was left sitting a good 8 hours.

Furthermore, a blown head gasket can also create the same problems as well as a bad set of rings or the engine needs rebuilding or valve adjustment.

Can you tell us more? Yes, you can use propane to reduce your diesel needs for strick exhaust environments or propane and NOS for MORE POWER. We use to offer a propane/diesel bucket truck for the CA area as it produces lower emissions.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read your new post. WOnder if that smoke is bluish than gray or white? Maybe oil burning? Otherwise sign of engine wear. In my case it faded after 5 minutes and you got that good ole black coal blowing out of the engine till you started up the next day.

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup, diesel's like propane. People use propane injection for diesels like gassers use nitro.

I still think its odd it needs the propane to start, it makes me think it is somehow not getting fuel rather then not hot enough.

I wonder if somehow the fuel is leaking out of your fuel system back in to the tank and you are basically priming it each time? Any small hole inline would cause that. But like you said there was no air at the filter, maybe past the filter? Once it is running look for any small fuel leak past that point.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe my problem was just that. My dad added a transfer pump to the system and it fixed it. Otherwise a rebuild would of run several grand.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
There is no indication that engine wear is the main issue. Sure, it ain't nearly as fresh as it once was!
The problem came on rather suddenly, and it acts a lot like when I run out of fuel.

My front tank hasn't got a working gauge, so I go by miles. Another thing that makes me sure at least one tank is coming out, is that in stop and go traffic, I'd better make sure to switch tanks by 130 miles. But if I was steady state on the highway I could go as much as 200. And what it would often do at 135-140 miles S&G was do something like catch an air buble and die just as I was leaving a dead stop. The rear tank never exhibted these sort of problems before, but with the gauge reading nearly full, and only 169 miles or so showing on the resetable odo, it is the tank I'm having problems with now (if it is a tank problem).

Both will probably have to come out, dammit!

But the only thing I think possible, is something in the changeover valve, or in the tank itself.

Ford Gas engines use fuel pumps in each tank and each has a check valve. I know I don't have the pumps, but may have the valve. And obviously something is QUITE wrong in the front tank.

I guess it shouldn't come as a real suprise... we don't owe the bank anymore since a couple months ago!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Good grief.

This morning it almost needed no propane. The barest little bit, one time and it idled fine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesels are nice for torque and fuel economy. The bad part is they are costly to repair when that pump does bad.

Latest posts