Microsoft money 2005 question...

Frangible

Enlightened
I'd previously been doing my finances on a spreadsheet, and just got Money 2005. Sadly... I'm not sure if it's an improvement to my spreadsheet or not.

My main beef is the tedious data entry that I thought it would solve. You must go through every transaction and assign a category for proper budgeting.

The problem is, it's dumb, and never learns how to automatically do this. For example, my water bill every month has the same text from the bank. However, I must tediously go through and manually set the category on every water bill correctly every time.

Does Quicken do a better job with this? Is there any way to make Money do it? I can't seem to find a way.

Thanks.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Quicken but don't use Money.

You assign a category to each transaction (optional)once and when you memorize it, the name, account number, category, address and any recurring amount automatically fill in.

I'm sure that Money is the same way.

Are you filling in the blank check to create the transaction or are you using the register? Use the check always. Look at the preferences in the toolbar and look at your options to what fills in and what doesn't.

Marty

Frangible

Enlightened
Blank check? I don't quite understand... I'm just going into the "Accounts" view to view the data that Money downloaded from my bank accounts and credit card account. Everything is listed as "unknown expense" so I have to click on it and set the category manually, and it drives me nuts.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got Money 2003 on my PC. If you click on the account then find Withdrawal, click on New and make your entry there.

My version shows a small check-like screen below the register where you can enter the pertinent info.

I never used Money because I find it too complicated with too many screens, voices and all kinds of fluff.

If all else fails, go to help and find Memorize Transactions or something like that and it should walk you through it.

Marty

PS: Send me a PM and I'll get you an unregistered and new copy of Quicken 2003 for the PC which I bought at Office Depot for less than $5.

Frangible

Enlightened
Ok thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. I appreciate the Quicken offer, but want to see if I make Money work for me first.