Ghetto 14500 adapter

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this out. I picked up a 69 cent 1xAA holder at Frys, a short legnth of PVC tube that is exactly the same Outer Diameter as a CR123, used some epoxy, some wires, and a blob of solder here and there and look at the piece of crap i came up with.

adapter.jpg

It does appear to be working though.

Shane

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shane, looks like it will do the job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Say, could you do me a favor? I'm trying to find out what level of current those various li-ion 123 cell chargers deliver into a discharged cell. Could you measure this for me? Also. what is the brand/source of your particular charger? TIA

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charger is the one i got from 4sevens in a group buy a while back. IT's the same one JSB sent out when he first got his unprotected cells WAY back earlier this year, you can get it at Frys now under the brand name "Juice", you can pick up a cell and charger for around $40, which is about $15 more than you can get it everywhere else. lol. I'll see if i can totally deplete a cell (down to 2.7v or so) and then take the measurements for you.

Shane

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shane, Thanks! BTW, do those chargers [not your adapter] have any provision to keep you from putting a cell in backwards? Do the instructions that came with it say anything about what happens if a cell is put in backwards?

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmnm,, i do not know. It charged the cell right to 4.15v which is where i have the cutoff set. So it looks like my little adapter worked like a charm, This is fhe first time iv'e ever fabricated something.

Oh BTW Doug, I'm gonna have to wait till i can find something to discharge that cell. Tried it in my minimini mag and smoked the bilb after a few minutes, lol. I'll have to get a Lambda Pill or something.

Shane

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shane, Thanks. BTW, for the purpose of that current measurement I am interested in, it doesn't matter to me if the cell involved is a 123 type or a 14500.

Anyone else with this type of charger: feel free to jump in here and make a current measurement too.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using one of my home-brew chargers regularly for a month now. It has bar graph battery indicator to show the state of charge and full charge. My charged cells read 4.12-volts on a DMM so I'd say the charger that Hallis has put together is doing its job perfectly.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick test of my home-brew charger and a 75% depleted cell shows a charge current of 315 mAh on a 14500 cell. If the charger Hallis made works the same I would think his charger current would be the same.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:
A quick test of my home-brew charger and a 75% depleted cell shows a charge current of 315 mAh on a 14500 cell. If the charger Hallis made works the same I would think his charger current would be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning escapes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maximum charging current is determined by the charger design. You are comparing your design to that of some unknown engineer in China.