LED light for around $50

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What is the best LED light for around $50? I'm a newbie to his forum so any help would be appreciated

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm looking for a light about the size of a 2 C battery flashlight or smaller. While horseback riding in the local mountains I got lost. My flashlight battery did not last very long that night. I understand that LED flashlights have a longer battery life.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. The LED lights that come to mind are the Lightwave 3000 (3C/7LED), Inova X5 (2-123/5LED).

You might also look at the CMG Reactor (2AA/1LS) and run it with Lithium batteries (for brightness and runtime). I think the Reactor is not as good a selection as it is very new and it is not clear how sturdy it is yet (there have been a few reported failures).

These should yeld a good ten hours of light. However, note these are not extreamly bright lights either.

You might consider a hybrid solution - a LED light and a conventional light. This would give you a brighter light to get your bearings and then a lower power light with good runtime.

Selection #1:
- $26 PT Surge (8AA, bright!)
- $28 Opalec Newbeam kit for MiniMag
- $10 MiniMag AA (if you don't already have one)
======
$64 ($54 if you already have a MiniMag)

Selection #2:
- $26 PT Surge (8AA, bright!)
- $17 PT Attitude (4AAA/3LED)
======
$43

Selection #3:
- $16 UK 4AA
- $28 Opalec Newbeam kit for MiniMag
- $10 MiniMag AA (if you don't already have one)
======
$54

Selection #4:
- $36 Scorpion (2 123)
- $17 PT Attitude (4AAA/3LED)
======
$53

The Surge is very bright and reasonably small. It actually has a 3+ hr runtime as well.

I would prefer the Opalec Newbeam over the Attitude because it takes the same type cells as the Surge (or UK 4AA) and is regulated so it provides full light output for about 10 hours (doesn't get dimmer over time).

The Attitude provides about the same light output as the Newbeam and is very inexpensive.

The UK 4AA is small, has a decent runtime (3+ hrs) is rugged, inexpensive and waterproof. It has a 2.1W bulb vs. the 7.5W for the Surge, so obviously the Surge is tops.

The Scorpion is fairly bright (brighter than the UK 4AA) but has slightly less than one hr runtime.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Turtlelite II is a good light, but I wonder if the Newbeam isn't better. The Turtlelite gives more runtime and is less bright. It is also more bulky, but floats (with Li batteries).

I also wonder (see above post) if any of these are bright enough. Of course, some light is much better than no light.

Another good aspect of the Newbeam (or Attitude) is that you could put it in one of those Niteze (sp?) headbands for hands free use (I suspect handy on a horse).

I have and like the Turtlelite IIs, but I'm not sure I would get another one now with the Newbeam.

I have no experience with the Dorcy Coolblue.

-john

[edit]

Ooh. Another good thing about the Surge/Newbeam combo is that when you run your Surge down, you can probably cycle the batteries though the Newbeam for lots of extra runtime (I'd like to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny this). I guess this would also work for the UK 4AA as well.

FNG

Enlightened
I would say Surge and Attitude. Rage and Attitude would be nice too since they both use the same body/battery/etc except for the bulb. I just sold my Rage and extra lamp to a friend for $20. The Rage is pretty bright for its size.

rlhess

Enlightened
I'm not sure how much light MO needs when he's sitting on a horse and trying to look around.

I like the idea of LED lights, but they "toss" light out more than throw them.

I also don't know if MO is in very hot/cold weather where lithiums would pay off.

I'm wondering if the combination of a UKE 2L for long run time and a Sure Fire spares carrier with 3 pairs of 123 plus a spare lamp might not be a good option.

The PT Aurora Headlamp provides "up to 50" hours on 3 AAA cells and I think it's reasonably well regulated and about as bright as the NewBeam and smaller...but I don't see it being very useful sitting on top of a horse.

I certainly suggest more than one light.

Other inexpensive lights to consider are the Brinkmann Legend LX (very bright, but short run time).

For LEDs the Lightwave 3000 or 4000 (3C and 3D) might fit the bill.

I just am thinking about being up on that horse in the mountains and as someone's sig line reads "I want to see what the dark looks like." I don't think __I'd__ be happy unless I had my UKE SL6 with me. It gets dark in the mountains. That's still under $50 and runs for 3 hours and puts out 11,000 CD.

The brightest small LED lights put out 300cd with fresh batteries...and only run two hours on 2 AAs (Lambda Illuminators). There are brighter ones by ElektroLumens and Lambda but they're made in C- and D-size Mag lights, and aren't under $50.

Cheers,

Richard

leddite

Enlightened
not to be a heretic to LEDs or anything,
but something i would recommend for trails and outdoors, that has punch, yet *also* has longish runtimes is ... something from: http://www.turbocatusa.com/
in particular, a headlight: http://www.turbocatusa.com/trailguide.html
with long run times, punch, rechargable,
and helment mount goodness (one DOES wear a helmet while riding, right?)

okay, it fails on the $50 front
frown.gif

i'd suggest a multi LED headlamp, and a pouch of extra batteries. there's some fine 2-14 LED headlights. the 3 led model from princeton tech is lovely. the trek/tektite model is sweet: www.tek-tite.com/LED_Light/led_light.html
6 leds, under $50, and well, lovely.

good luck! neigh neigh

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This is a helpful forum. I appreciate everyone's comments and will start looking at the recommendations. Thanks.

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Yes a Blaster is a good choice, much better than regular LED lights above. You need a bit more "throw" than the Nichia (regular) type LEDs provide. Nichias are just too diffuse for anything but the kitchen pantry. Here are some variations of Luxeon Star flshlights: AA Maglite with the "pill" conversion, Wayne's Blaster, or another good idea is to just carry one of the ProLine Luxeon Star PR-base bulbs from LEDCORP. They fit into any 3 or 4 cell light with a pr bulb type, and they cost about $40. I have one and I love it for it's ability to throw light and for its brightness. One Luxeon Star is worth about 15 Nichias. The ability to focus makes this a winning combination. I converted my Energizer AAA to use the LEDCORP Luxeon pr-based bulb, and it is just great. This light only cost about $50 and it was fun to build, although not as duarable as other lights like the ARC LS.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a longer throw than the Blaster, I have a lambda 2D/3C conversion I'll sell you. Probably good for 60-75' in dark conditions. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Though this goes against the CPF motto of "buy them both" the easiest solution to your problem is to simply carry an extra set of batteries if you already like your existing flashlight. Good idea regardless of the light you carry, if there is a chance of needing it for a prolonged period.

Or you can be like many of us here who carry our spare batteries in backup flashlights. No battery change is needed, and many of the flashlights we carry are barely bigger than the "spare" batteries themselves.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'd go with the Inova X5T or an EternaLight X-Ray(standard not elite)

Harrkev

Enlightened
First, I am assuming that you might be on a little bit of a budget.

You will need two lights. The first will be for use "throwing" light a long distance. For this, an old-fashioned Mag light ($20 - Walmart) or similar would work just fine. You won't get a long battery life, but this is for occasional use only. Use this when trying to see something off in the distance (buildings 1/2 mile away, hills, landmarks, etc.)

Your second light should be an LED for run time. The attitude would be great on a budget, and relatively easy to find. The Opaltec Newbeam is a bulb replacement for a mini-mag. It is nicer, but more expensive. Choose whichever one strikes your fancy. This could be your general use light to be sure that you don't trot into a tree or trip over a stump.

Then, because you got two flashlights for under $40 (assuming that you chose the Attitude), take your savings and buy a GPS so that you don't get lost! I know quite a bit about those too
grin.gif

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Okay, you're going to laugh, but I don't go anywhere w/o my ARC AAA white. Fits in your watch pocket, makes a great backup to your backup, and it's just so damn cool.
cool.gif

Here's a set to consider...
PT Surge
PT Attitude
Arc AAA

Okay, so I went a bit over $50.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lantern. Jack O.:
Okay, you're going to laugh, but I don't go anywhere w/o my ARC AAA white. Fits in your watch pocket, makes a great backup to your backup, and it's just so damn cool.
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why would anyone laugh. I imagine a good # of people here feel the same way. I think I'm up to about 70 lights now, & my ARC CPF is by far my most used. TX

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
i dunno about runtime, but if the "throw light" is going to be used sparingly maybe the brinkman lx would work, combined with the newbeam, or eternalight or etc.

- Pete