Eternalight Magnet

Empath

Flashaholic
Would anyone be able to venture an educated guess on the effect of attempting to degauss the magnet attached to the Eternalight Elite?

I'm suspecting that induction could introduce some damaging current within the circuit. Since I don't yet have one to view, is the magnet attached to the half that can be removed from the circuitry, or is it attached to the circuitry half?

I won't be purchasing one unless I know I can disable the magnet. Anyone that has to transport both the light and magnetic tape, disks, magnetically encoded ID cards or credit cards in the same briefcase, or anywhere in same close proximity can imagine the eventual results.
shocked.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I've been informed by someone closely associated with the product that it may be possible to get the magnet off with a thin blade between the magnet and the body, cutting through the double sided tape. I was also informed that it's a tight fitting magnet and it could be messed up. Eighty dollars for a light I may mess up doesn't appeal to me at all.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm aware of two instances where the magnet came off by itself. One was mine (it fell off a metal doorframe); the other victim's Xray was hung in a restroom and ended up going down the toilet; in both cases the magnet was still stuck to the surface on which it was last placed. So maybe all you need to do is stick it up somewhere using the magnet and wait for it to fall. ;-)

This problem has already been addressed by Tech. ***. so it is possible that only some older Elite X-rays were affected.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be a bit of a housewives' remedy of sorts, but I have had some success with this method:

- Remove the casing half containing the magnet and chuck it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

- During this 10 minutes, go boil some water (seriously!)

- After 10 minutes, grab the case half from the freezer and immediately chuck it into the boiling water.

- Repeat if necesary.

Will this process completely release the magnet? Nope, and it might even crack it. But what it does is weaken the adhesive properties of the tape backing, making the magnet far easier to remove mechanically with a jeweller's screwdriver subsequently.

In my case, I inspected the contact patch from the back (inside) of the the casing and watched for the reduction of the size of that patch with each dunking. Once it got to the size of a 1/4" square, I whipped out the screwdriver and levered the magnet out.

Worked for me, but your mileage may vary...
smile.gif

*edit:* This process will not harm the plastic bits in any way, so dunk away!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I took mine and removed the magnet. Then I put hotglue in the indentation and covered it with a square of glow sheeting. It actually was an improvement.

Spork

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
Eighty dollars for a light I may mess up doesn't appeal to me at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just received my elite xray from eppes corner. their selling them for 50 bucks + shipping. still expensive but a lot better than paying 80.

Chris

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
Remove the casing half containing the magnet and chuck it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the magnet is on the non-circuitry half of the light, then there's really no problem after all. I can demagnitize the magnet and make it a non-issue. Thanks.

Also, Chris, thank you for the heads up on where to buy.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Heck, what do you want with a useless magnet stuck to the thing? I'm SURE you'll be able to pop it off of there without much trouble. Last year I removed the chrome badges off a $40,000 Volvo - suck it up and give it a whirl! A hair dryer and prying device will do wonders. Or, if you live in an area that sees some heat (send it to me if you want, it'll be 104 today) just leave it out on the patio for an hour, then bring it in and slip the magnet off.

I have no trouble removing "permanent" double sided adhesives from things like GPS dashboard mounts, etc. Heat and patience are the only two words you need to know. Admittedly I've used a few other words, but that was only after burning myself after applying the heat.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little lighter fluid will desolve most glues (except stuff like hot-glue which is really melted plastic). TX

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Heck, what do you want with a useless magnet stuck to the thing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because it's there?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm SURE you'll be able to pop it off of there without much trouble. Last year I removed the chrome badges off a $40,000 Volvo - suck it up and give it a whirl! A hair dryer and prying device will do wonders. Or, if you live in an area that sees some heat (send it to me if you want, it'll be 104 today) just leave it out on the patio for an hour, then bring it in and slip the magnet off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I figure a heat gun or hair dryer would probably be the answer. But, I've no problem with it being there as long as it doesn't radiate trouble.

I've been so concerned over the magnet, that I've lost track of it's other features. Remind me, what's it's advantages over my Xray?

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm guessing this is the reason:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
Anyone that has to transport both the light and magnetic tape, disks, magnetically encoded ID cards or credit cards in the same briefcase, or anywhere in same close proximity can imagine the eventual results.
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

After reading about the test Tech-*** put the Elite series thru, I'd imsgine that you could just toss the thing off your 2nd floor balcony until the magnet falls off or breaks.