Cheap 123's in Canada

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Cheap 123\'s in Canada

As anybody living in Canada can attest 123 batteries are expensive. Typically in the range of $10.00 retail. That hurts. Today at a local dollar store I found some for $4.00 each. I realize that they can be had from people like the battery station and others for about $1.25 USD. However by the time you factor in exchange on the dollar, shipping (can't mail lithium batteries in Canada), gst, pst, clearing customs, duty and whatever else one can think of the price ends up over $4 each. Or at least close to that.
I have not had a chance to test this baby out yet so the jury is still out on this one.

cheers,
zwf

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
Re: Cheap 123\'s in Canada

I ordered 6 dozen from Surefire back in june or july, even with tax & duty worked in they ran approx $2.50 IIRC, certainly not great but better than $4 (& FWIW, I've never seen them as cheap as $4 around here). Go with Battery Station instead of Surefire & your cost would be a bit lower still.

PhotonBoy - I drove through Annapolis Valley once, about 15 years ago, it was just before sunrise about this time of the year, everything cover in dew, almost every house painted a different pastel colour. I still remember it as the most beautiful place I've even seen in Canada... I wonder if it still looks the way I remember it (or ever did for that matter).

bluewater

Newly Enlightened

I got the small Global Priority envelope full of 123's from Battery Station, and paid no extra charges at all. Worked out to less than $2 Cdn per 123. That was about 6 months ago...before all the crap surrounding lithiums in the mail.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened

I have had no problem receiving 123A lithium batteries from Battery Station. Ordered 14 the first time, 15 the next, and both were under, or just at, the CBSA/CRA value-for-taxes-and-handling-fees of $20 Canadian, so I was not charged for them.

Canada Post has already been advised by Transport Canada that these type of batteries are NOT a Hazardous Material, so there should be NO problems with them.

Kevin of Battery Station even sent me a pen with my last order! I would certainly recommend this purchase method to you, ZWF.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

bubbacatfish: "I drove through Annapolis Valley once, about 15 years ago, it was just before sunrise about this time of the year, everything cover in dew, almost every house painted a different pastel colour. I still remember it as the most beautiful place I've even seen in Canada... I wonder if it still looks the way I remember it (or ever did for that matter)."

It often looks like that.... One particular day in the fall, IIRC, it had been very humid overnight and in the morning, as the sun was rising, *everything*... trees, poles, wires, houses, grass, etc. was covered in this fairy-tale thick coating of beautiful pink-hued white frost. It was magical. It was a Kodak moment, but I didn't have my camera with me.

Now back to your regular programming....

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PeteBroccolo said:
I have had no problem receiving 123A lithium batteries from Battery Station. Ordered 14 the first time, 15 the next, and both were under, or just at, the CBSA/CRA value-for-taxes-and-handling-fees of $20 Canadian, so I was not charged for them.

Canada Post has already been advised by Transport Canada that these type of batteries are NOT a Hazardous Material, so there should be NO problems with them.

Kevin of Battery Station even sent me a pen with my last order! I would certainly recommend this purchase method to you, ZWF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to argue cause sure would be nice if Canada Post would get their head out of their **s. However I'm a bit confused because I work for a printer in Ottawa and we print a lot of stuff for Canada Post. About a month ago we printed some sort of pamphlet like thing. This pamphlet was to inform us of the sorts of stuff that is forbidden to mail. Lithium batteries were on there quite clearly. So officially what is the policy? I'm leanning towards believing Lithiums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I sure hope I'm wrong.

cheers,
zwf

RY3

Enlightened

Other than Battery Station, I have very luck with ordering from TexasTacticalSupply as well.

The last order costed me about C$2.20 each, but that was when the exchange rate was over 1.4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

With the Canadian dollar at 12 year high against US $ now, it may be a good time for a re-stocking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bubbacatfish

Enlightened

Sorry guys, don't want to steal the thread but, last time,

PhotonBoy - "It was magical. It was a Kodak moment, but I didn't have my camera with me." - The one thing I wanted (& didn't have) while in Nova Scotia was my camera. Told myself I'd return one day & get photos of that valley, 15 years, how time flies, sigh...

The ONLY reason I watch the CDN/US exchange rates now is for flashlight/batteries/knives I want to buy online...