LED Traffic Lights - They are BRIGHT-Anyone know details

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that the sun is not bright in the rest of the country, but in Houston Tx, in the summer, on a sunny, cloudless day, it gets pretty blindingly bright.

I was noticing that they put up some of those new LED traffic lights, and I was driving west, around 4-6 pm, and the sun was right in my eye, and I had to stop at a light, and was admiring just how bright and clear these new LED stop lights are.

I've seen other traffic lights get totally lost in the sun, but these new LED lights really stood out against the Texas Sun.

Anyone know any details as to how many LED's are in each color, and how much they cost?

Is there anything special about the brightness compared to what a regular LED light uses? Are these traffic lights brighter?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. I found one answer to my questions!

Someone else posted a bit on TechTV about LED's and here is a quote:

------------
The only drawback to the technology is initial cost, industry watchers said. The incandescent bulbs that are used in a traffic signal cost about $1.50, compared to an LED's price tag of $75 to $100.
-------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I also live in houston.
the main reason led lights are brighter is that in a light bulb time they have to use a color lens and a reflector. when sunlight shines (360/365 days here) it hits the refelctor and the bounces back through the lens. this makes it look like it is on.

leds on the other hand do not need reflectors nor color lens. the sunlight just bounces off nothing and does not show up.

Hemingray

Enlightened
This is my first post, so please overlook any egregious errors
wink.gif

I have a couple of 12" dia. red LED traffic
lights I got off E-bay, one has 720 red HP
LEDS, and uses a simple capacitor-diode circuit to power them. This sucker is BRIGHT!!!
shocked.gif

It is 120 VAC powered, supposedly will run happily and brightly from 90 to 132 VAC, 60 Hz.

/ed brown in New Hampshire

Saaby

Flashaholic
I bet they use the same kind of bright LEDs that are used in those big outdoor screens at times square and those outdoor LED message signs...

Latest posts