Aleph Lights

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

It's no secret that I do modifications to stock lights and build custom lights for a fee. I've recently gotten into doing Aleph builds because, well, these lights are a kick in the butt to mess with and they are real screamers in the performance department.

I've noticed, however, that the most popular of the Aleph line is the one with the least performance (throw). Of course I'm talking about the Aleph II. The reason I say this is because I can't seem to put Aleph II's together fast enough, but the Aleph I or III will sit without much interest in them.

I can understand the reason for the Aleph I moving slowly (in my perception). There are already hundreds of McLuxes floating around that have the same performance (although they don't use the flexible light engine). On the other hand, the Aleph III is a "next level" light. I've gotten performance out of this head that rivals that of a m@g mod, in a package that you could still drop into your back pocket or clip to your belt.

I just thought it would be fun to discuss the reasons that the Aleph II is your favorite Aleph, and mine too.

So, why do YOU like or prefer the Aleph II as opposed to its more capable big brothers?

kaseri

Enlightened
I like something with a little less of a hotspot. And the Aelph 2 is just that. It throws well enough when needed. But I find that 90% of the time I need something that gives me a good flood pattern. Plus it's smaller in diameter and that makes it easier on my pocket.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, that's the amazing thing about the Aleph II's reflector. The hotspot is hugh, relatively speaking, AND the it's bright. Although you sacrifice a tad bit of sidespill, it think the arrangement works out nicely. The best word that I can find to describe the Aleph II, is utilitarian. It's a plain useful light.

Geode

Enlightened
I am thinking about getting an Aleph, and if I do, flood means more than throw or a distinct hotspot. The few times that I need big throw, I might consider the Aleph III or 4D maglite that is my walking light.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, will I be able to use my Aleph 3 bezel with the NexGen500ma LE on my 1x123? I've never taken the LE out of my Aleph 3.

I went for the Aleph 3 first because of the spectacular performance for longer range and the Aleph 2 for the small and trim package around the 20mm reflector for EDC.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Less performing ????????
Why's that?
The ALeph2 has the most tightly focussed corona in a small package in combination with a mild and big hotspot which results in a smooth beam that will not blind you and has a very useful corona even in low-mode AND still has some punch. Try that with a 27mm ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
In addition to that it is the smallest head and can be carried alnmost everywhere.

If performance means throw for you then the Aleph2 isn't your ticket.
BUT is performance means the best close-up to medium distance beam ... then Aleph2 truly shines!
And frankly, who really needs throw in a small light like this anyway?

bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here's a pic to illustrate my points:

prdb700r2hvsa2ng750t-bin.jpg

Aleph1 DB700 R2H vs Aleph2 NG750 T-bin

Hotter and tighter corona, bigger and softer (not to be seen in this overexposed hotspots in the pic) hotspot.

bernhard

B@rt

Flashaholic
Just my reflection about the Aleph II...
A true worklight! Decent sidespill, and yet a very good throw, get the 2 stage tailcap and a beam shaper, and you are ready for 99% of the tasks you need it for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
Tony, will I be able to use my Aleph 3 bezel with the NexGen500ma LE on my 1x123? I've never taken the LE out of my Aleph 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
(I'm not Tony - but almost as pretty)

Absolutely! Any LE will work in any head. You just need to match up the correct Vin (via battery tube), and you're off to the races. Don has been carrying a A-3 NexGen1000 on 1x123. Way cool.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britt,

This is actually a way cool way to run the Aleph III. It's small enough to carry on a lanyard, but has some REAL throw.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that I did qualify my assessment of the Aleph II's performance by saying that it was in terms of throw. As far as overall usefulness goes, the Aleph II is the "cat's meow."

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
Your beam shot states McR-27 and I think it is supposed to be McR-20?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I believe it illustrates how the 20 mm being of the same depth as the PR or 27 mm but smaller parabolic curve, captures more of the spill and re directs it into the spot as well as intensifies the amount of light in the remaining spill. The textured reflector dakes a certain amount of light and randomizes its direction. This is why the spot is not sharp and there is a nice blend or transition from spot to spill. It all boils down to where you want your light delivered! The 27 mm has been around and is likely less of interest to those who already have it. Those who don't, are missing a reflector that is a viable compromise between all out throw and full flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

kj

Enlightened
I like L4 but I've been looking for something smaller... and now I have Aleph 2 with Luxeon V. This combo works really nice (and mine is still working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Also, the LE system is great! Because I can change the head and body according to mood, I made these shiny Alephs for fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aleph_2_NiCr_with_Tools.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don .. I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ... it should state McR-20 ... but it is too late now ... the original pic is lost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And yepp, the McR-27 / PR is still a superb reflector, don't get me wrong, the McR-20 is just king for close and medium quarters with a LuxI/III IMHO. And it is new and soooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And the McR-38 is a true killer ... but a bit on the big side for a small whiner like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernhard

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Darell and Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My Aleph 2 with the NG500 hasn't arrived yet, but I tried out the Aleph 3 with DB917/Lux III on a 1x123 with McE2S to get an idea of the ergonomics and beam characteristics and I like it a great deal!

standard.jpg

There were no colors visible to my eye when I took the beamshot below. The DB917 running on only one of JSB's R123s (Protected) yielded very usable high and low outputs.
standard.jpg

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
Thanks, Darell and Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My Aleph 2 with the NG500 hasn't arrived yet, but I tried out the Aleph 3 with DB917/Lux III on a 1x123 with McE2S to get an idea of the ergonomics and beam characteristics and I like it a great deal!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - my current Aleph configuration is an Aleph3/1x123 tube - it'll throw several hundred feet easily with usable light, which means it's very flexible... more so than the Aleph2 which it originally was. I like the Aleph 2's beam characteristics... but then again, I've already got a light with similar throw and flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Aleph 3's my current light of choice, though - and I'd like to maybe mate it to a r123 and maybe a LuxV just to see what sort of illumination I'll get.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haesslich,

I was playing with a 5W running at about 500mA on an Aleph III. The heat wasn't bad and it was bright and threw almost as well as a Lux III in an Aleph I. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but it does really throw with a 5W. 80 yards, easy.