Leatherman Inside Check-In Baggage - Bad Idea?

voltus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone. I haven't traveled via air after 9/11 so I'm out of touch with reality. Since I'm a gear geek, my question is, what are airline/FAA policies towards Leatherman/Victorinox inside check-in baggage? Will they take it away? I'll be travelling to Singapore so any tips from international travellers are especially welcome. Thanks.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That's an approved item in checked luggage. Make sure you do not forget it in your carry-on. They will fill out an incident report (10 minute delay) then offer you a choice; give up the tool or check your bag. They may also choose to give you a very complete search.

Tools, knives, pointy things are all prohibited except in checked baggage.

Daniel

voltus

Newly Enlightened
That's good news since I'm planning to also buy a Leatherman Charge Ti to bring as a gift and I don't plan to lose it to those TSAs.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
V,
Yeah, checked bags are the place for such things. I have an expensive folding knife that's coming home with me. I don't dare try and take than on a standard flight, even one out of Kuwait.

My lights will travel the same way. Batteries out and put on the side away from the light.

Heck, when we took the "london eye" we got a pat down and a wanding. They took my swiss army knife (gave me a slip so I can claim it later) and tossed it into a case. When we came off the attraction I got a look inside the case. Must have been 200 knives of various kinds. The security guard joked that England had been invaded by the Swiss Army. The Brits were very civilized about this.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a problem officially in US, but I'm not sure about Singapore. Singapore is famous for having unreasonable regulations. You should not discount the possibility that such an item will be stolen from your luggage by an airline employee or TSA employee, etc. I have never had one stolen from my luggage, but there are plenty of people who have. You can ship something like that separately through UPS or whatever, or you can try to hide it within your checked luggage to reduce the chance of theft. Just be sure not to carry it on. That will be the surest way to have a problem.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Place it between a pair of shorts in your luggage bag. Camera type looking cases are the primary thing TSA checks. It is also the prime shopping choice for them to steal from. I have won two claims for theft/vandalism from them. As a rule my luggage bag rarely gets inspected unless I am at an airport where they do it there in your presence. A rumor that they don't want to dive their hands in worn dirty clothing which I can understand. However I did get a camera battery charger stolen from my clothes bag.

I would like to point out that in the 16 years of pre TSA travel, I never had anything turn up missing or damaged and only two times my bags did not make it to my destination with me. And I average 20 flights per year. And that includes flights to all the continents except Antarticia.

TSA has cleaned up thier act. Fired over 5000 for stealing and they might sunset in November to allow the airlines to hire responsible security. Congress is tired of the complaints. All that depends on the current adminstration remaining in control after the election and it is not a guarantee at that.

d'mo

Enlightened
I've carried a Leatherman on every flight I've ever been on. More recently, in my checked bags and I;ve never had a problem. This includes all over asia (Japan, Taiwan, Korea and The Philippines mostly).

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Pellidon said:
Place it between a pair of shorts in your luggage bag. Camera type looking cases are the primary thing TSA checks. It is also the prime shopping choice for them to steal from. I have won two claims for theft/vandalism from them. As a rule my luggage bag rarely gets inspected unless I am at an airport where they do it there in your presence. A rumor that they don't want to dive their hands in worn dirty clothing which I can understand. However I did get a camera battery charger stolen from my clothes bag.

I would like to point out that in the 16 years of pre TSA travel, I never had anything turn up missing or damaged and only two times my bags did not make it to my destination with me. And I average 20 flights per year. And that includes flights to all the continents except Antarticia.

TSA has cleaned up thier act. Fired over 5000 for stealing and they might sunset in November to allow the airlines to hire responsible security. Congress is tired of the complaints. All that depends on the current adminstration remaining in control after the election and it is not a guarantee at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy fake soiled underwear with a hidden compartment for such things. Search the net.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

You can buy fake soiled underwear with a hidden compartment for such things. Search the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why buy when you can easily make one..lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Lucien

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Not a problem officially in US, but I'm not sure about Singapore. Singapore is famous for having unreasonable regulations. You should not discount the possibility that such an item will be stolen from your luggage by an airline employee or TSA employee, etc. I have never had one stolen from my luggage, but there are plenty of people who have. You can ship something like that separately through UPS or whatever, or you can try to hide it within your checked luggage to reduce the chance of theft. Just be sure not to carry it on. That will be the surest way to have a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, unreasonable? Yeah, sometimes....

Luckly you should have no problems with the leatherman on this side. I've made two trips this year with a SOG in my check-in, and no problems at all.

Also, my suitcase is always locked. I think I've heard that over in the States you're not supposed to lock your check-in to facilitate inspections? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But over here I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with that. Of course that would only account for one end of the trip.

Standard stuff applies of course: no sharp pointy stuff, or stuff that goes boom can be carried on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Oh, and there's a zero tollerance policy for firearms and drugs here...