Lithium battery chemistry question???

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Can anybody say with some certainty what the chemistry of Lithium batteries is? I'm talking about the basic non-rechargeable type say CR123A and the like. Is it a Lithium/metal alloy of some kind? Or something else quite different?

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a line about this whole Lithium battery scare when it comes to mailing them in Canada. There has been much discussion about this topic. But no real concrete info. Rather a lot of folks recounting their experiences on the topic. Good and Bad. Of late I've been conversing with a chap from the body that has a say in how the policies get set. There would seem to be a lot of politics involved as well as some science. So to know what the chemistry in these babies is would help me better understand his last letter.

Thanks in advance,

zwf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:
Can anybody say with some certainty what the chemistry of Lithium batteries is? I'm talking about the basic non-rechargeable type say CR123A and the like. Is it a Lithium/metal alloy of some kind? Or something else quite different?

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a line about this whole Lithium battery scare when it comes to mailing them in Canada. There has been much discussion about this topic. But no real concrete info. Rather a lot of folks recounting their experiences on the topic. Good and Bad. Of late I've been conversing with a chap from the body that has a say in how the policies get set. There would seem to be a lot of politics involved as well as some science. So to know what the chemistry in these babies is would help me better understand his last letter.

Thanks in advance,

zwf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, they do contain lithium in metallic form. Here is a link to a PSDS for LiMnO2 cells:
LiMnO2 PSDS

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't ask for it but the LiFeS2 type cells [L91, L92] also contain metallic lithium. Here is the PSDS for them:
L91/92

BTW, Li-ion rechargeables *normally* do not contain metallic lithium >unless< they have been subjected to overcharging abuse. Metallic lithium is formed [reduced] during overcharge which contributes to the instability of abused cells.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Thanks Doug, It's not looking good. It sort of appears to me that those that have gotten away with mailing these in Canada are the lucky ones. It seems to be a bit like speeding, everybody does it but not many get caught.

Would anybody know what the UN number is for these batteries?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:
Thanks Doug, It's not looking good. It sort of appears to me that those that have gotten away with mailing these in Canada are the lucky ones. It seems to be a bit like speeding, everybody does it but not many get caught.

Would anybody know what the UN number is for these batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you mean by UN number. An agency of the UN, the International Air Transport Association, has established some guidelines for transportation of Lithium batteries. It is up to each Nation-State to enact their own laws. The IATA does have some guidelines which provide for air transport of small quantities based on several factors including weight of Li per cell and per battery. Page 8 of the following link should give you a starting point:
Li transport

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Doug, from what I can gather so far. Most products that might require at least a look at. Have been assigned a UN number. The criteria for this process is more than I can wrap my head around. However, As you stated each Nation-State enacts their own laws, somewhat based on those UN designations. All to do with Transport of Dangerous Goods. The guidelines set out by Canada Post reference those UN number designations. And there in lies the noggin to scrape I wish to get my head wrapped around.

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Well, I live in Toronto and had my batteries confiscated about 2 months ago. After calling Customs, Canada Post, and getting Kevin from BatteryStation call them as well, they were released and delivered to me.

To tell you the truth, I felt the same way and took my chances.

After calling Canada Post, they informed me that the rules were changed and lithiums are allowed to be shipped cross border, just make sure the one sending marks lithium batteries on the disclosure slip, because if just batteries are marked on there, I can guarantee that they will be opened and possibly confiscated.

Ming

Newly Enlightened
CR123A: (LiMnO2), the UN numbers, maybe you mean the dimensions ƒ³17.0*H33.5 mm), CR17335 = CR123A

the capacity is 1600 mAh,
Noninal Voltage: 3.0 V

we specialized in:

Thionyl Chloride Lithium Battery ( ER Series: Li-SOCl2 )
Manganese Dioxide Lithium Battery ( CR Series: Li-MnO2 )
Sulfur Dioxide Lithium Battery ( WR Series: Li-SO2 )

any question feel contact me freely!

Aben
Able New Energy Co.,Ltd
Tel: +86-755-27996175 #822
Fax: +86-755-27996177 ?@?@?@?@?@?@
Email: [email protected]
Http://www.able-battery.com